Can someone explain WHY some people want a Telangana state?

Well this is good. The people of telangana have been fighting for decades for a separate state and till a few days ago, only the telangana politicians had been spearheaded the whole thing but now the people of telangana too have started revolting.

The southern elite of AP have plundered the resources of the north for years by occupying influential govt posts and ignored providing even basic infrastructure to the telangana region.

The injustice has gone on too long and the people of telangana should be given what they are asking for. Hope the centre doesn't screw this up by forcing the people to turn to militancy. The congress leaders of AP are all from southern/coastal AP. This will be interesting as it unfolds. The compromise the YSR/rosiah govt talk about is an assurance to c.rao about initialization of developmental works in telangana though i think that boat has long sailed.

broadway said:
Well this is good. The people of telangana have been fighting for decades for a separate state and till a few days ago, only the telangana politicians had been spearheaded the whole thing but now the people of telangana too have started revolting.

The southern elite of AP have plundered the resources of the north for years by occupying influential govt posts and ignored providing even basic infrastructure to the telangana region.

The injustice has gone on too long and the people of telangana should be given what they are asking for. Hope the centre doesn't screw this up by forcing the people to turn to militancy. The congress leaders of AP are all from the south AP. This will be interesting as it unfolds.

Really? Is that why Hyderabad is so developed and is also the capital of the state.

Lets suppose that AP does break up into three states (It will definitely not break into two because every one wants their pound of flesh. It will most probably break into Telangana, Andhra and Rayalaseema), how is that going to help the people of Telangana? The three states will still have share the share the same amount of funds as a single state and 3 different govt's to eat a chunk of those funds when it was earlier only one. The large state which currently has a stong influence over the central govt politics as well will cease to have that once it breaks into 3 small states and the focus will so reduce automatically. Next every other state which has similar division disputes internally will have all the fire required to break those states as well once AP divides. The end result would be downfall of India sooner than anyone expected.

^ same as what india was a few hundred years back. maybe we will see some chief ministers proclaiming themselves to be kings and queens of the land and then its back to the bad old days of fighting amongst each other for land and food and whatever they can lay their dirty paws on.

Lord Nemesis said:
Really? Is that why Hyderabad is so developed and is also the capital of the state.
An intelligent statement to begin your argument but you have leaved me confused. You quoted "Rayalaseema" in your argument making me assume you know about the regions history and politics and then you ask this this question above?

Lord Nemesis said:
how is that going to help the people of Telangana?
For starters, the govt. posts in telangana region will go to the people of telangana instead of coastal residents like before. Let the people of the telangana manage the region. Lets start with that.

Lord Nemesis said:
The three states will still have share the share the same amount of funds
Each region will get it's share and this time telangana can't cry wolf that coastal residents gobbled up all there funds.

Lord Nemesis said:
Next every other state which has similar division disputes internally will have all the fire required to break those states as well once AP divides. The end result would be downfall of India sooner than anyone expected.
Well, tough luck. Expecting people to stay united while living a life of peril is ridiculous. Ignoring the ground facts for normalcy will get your deeper in the hole.

Everyone has a share in telangana
Protect our region's interests: Rayalaseema Congress legislators
PTI
Tuesday, December 8, 2009 23:45 IST

Hyderabad: With the separate Telanganamovement gaining momentum, Congress legislators from Rayalaseema in Andhra Pradesh demanded that the interests of their region be protected.

"We want Andhra Pradesh to remain united. In the event of division of the state, we want our interests to be protected. We will plead our case with the Congress high command," senior Congress MLA Erasu Pratap Reddy told reporters.

The meeting was attended by a large number of MLAs and MLCs from Rayalaseema region, which comprise four districts of Chittoor, Kadapa, Anantapur and Kurnool.

However, today's meeting was also attended by legislators from Nellore and Prakasam districts.

There have been demands for the formation of a Greater Rayalaseema state, comprising the six districts, in the event of formation of separate Telangana.
Protect our region's interests: Rayalaseema Congress legislators - dnaindia.com

Well, Iam a Hyderabadi and i guess i know something abt this mess..

First thing:

TRS(Telangana Rastra Samithi) is a hopeless and completely flop party of AP. They win VERY few seats( i guess they won ~12 in last general elections while congress won ~100).

And they win only in places where its difficult to find a person who knows to write telugu :p aka pure illiteracy.

Guess what guys, TRS did NOT even participate in the last month's Greater Hyderabad Municipal polls fearing that they won't win even a single seat! What loosers!

And if you don't know, Hyderabad belongs to Telangana!

This explains how hopeless that party is.

Now many have asked why students are supporting this mess.

Well there are 2 main reasons for it:

1. Premier Universities like Osmania and Kakatiya belong to Telangana and its VERY difficult to get a seat in it and majority of the students those universities are from other regions such as Rayalseema and Andhra. So if they make Telangana a separate state, it will be very easy to get a seat in those universities as people from Andhra and Rayalseema will be considered as Non Localites!!

2. TRS is luring Student leaders with power and money. They are showing them colors(promising some kinda post when separate state is made!) to attract the leaders of student unions like ABVP, blah blah blah.

And NOTE: Only few students are interested in this while majority(90%) are totally against division of state.

Now coming to the KCR's strike, theres a very interesting and important thing which many doesn't know!

It goes like, KCR started his strike. Students and his party supporters also started the state wide mess. 1 day over. KCR was already exhausted and tired. When several ministers asked him to stop the fast, he took that as an opportunity and ended his fast by drinking orange juice in hospital!

Now comes the main part. Students who were doing strikes got completely pissed off that KCR stopped the fast in 1 day..and they started shouting against KCR!!

Due to this, KCR was 'FORCED' to restart his fast!!

Now people want Hyderabad to be made as separate state or Union Territory if Telangana is made!

If that happens, then Telangana will be the WORST state in the whole country.

broadway said:
An intelligent statement to begin your argument but you have leaved me confused. You quoted "Rayalaseema" in your argument making me assume you know about the regions history and politics and then you ask this this question above?

I hope you understand that was a sarcastic comment. Going by the conspiracy theory you put up, Hyderabad should not be developing at all.

broadway said:
For starters, the govt. posts in telangana region will go to the people of telangana instead of coastal residents like before. Let the people of the telangana manage the region. Lets start with that.

That's not entirely in the hands of the state govt to decide. If people from other parts of AP manage to get a bulk of the govt jobs, they can pretty much do so even if a separate Telangana state is formed. Reservations can only go so far and its not like Telangana is going to be a separate country to rewrite their rule book. Its not like the new state will close the borders for the rest.

broadway said:
Each region will get it's share and this time telangana can't cry wolf that coastal residents gobbled up all there funds.

First the 3 states put together would not be in a position to get the same amount of funds as when it was a single state. secondly there are 3 times the bureaucrats to eat through those funds. At best its them that benefit from such a move, not the people and the people would be lucky if they do not end up worse than before (that is if they are even really loosing out earlier). So I don't think its anything to be happy about. People do not often realize the value of something till they lose it.

broadway said:
Well, tough luck. Expecting people to stay united while living a life of peril is ridiculous. Ignoring the ground facts for normalcy will get your deeper in the hole.

Really !! And here I always thought that Unity lends strength. With so many states (and who knows these politicians may then want Telengana to be further divided into 3 or 4 states) they would be like mere twigs that can be easily broken and destroyed. A drought would be enough to wipe out the state.

PhotostarSR said:
Well, Iam a Hyderabadi ... Hyderabad belongs to Telangana!
Do you know who this guy is?
225pxmim3.jpg

It was the seventh straight victory of the All India Majlis-e Ittihad al-Muslimin (MIM) in the Hyderabad seat.
Asaduddin Owaisi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hyderabad is a ghetto. A non-muslim party will never win a seat there.

Lord Nemesis said:
Going by the conspiracy theory you put up, Hyderabad should not be developing at all.
Hyderabad belongs to the person i have quoted above. If you have inside information as to which newly formed state owaisi will join then pl do tell me. It is a state capital and hence it is developed compared to other cities. What am i missing here?

Lord Nemesis said:
Its not like the new state will close the borders for the rest.
I have no problem with meritocracy and i don't think posts occupied in the telangana state are based on meritocracy.

Lord Nemesis said:
People do not often realize the value of something till they lose it.
You are right. Lets see how the compromise formula works out.

i know this is off topic but this what i heard people talking when i was at a hotel in a small town in Texas

OT : People were discussing about how oil rich the state of texas is and how their economy is doing better than others. Lot of military and all is based there and what not. All this was being discussed to consider texas a separate country!!

All of this was being discussed by common people working at the hotel i was staying in.

I guess people do discuss stuff like that but is the politicians who make an issue out of it for their personal gains.

Though i don't have much idea about the history of Andhra Pradesh, I've been living in Hyderabad for the last 2 years. There is one thing that i simply can't understand namely that the fight for telenagana has been going on for decades yet the only party which was formed with the sole purpose of getting a separate state and it's people their rights fails to perform in elections. I'm a strong believer in Democracy (with all it's cons). As you can see telengana would have around 150 assembly seats yet TRS is nowhere here. Even if you leave Hyderabad out of this (since its developed and all) .I don't see any point here because to me it seems even people from telengana don't really support this else this would certainly show itself in polls. Please do correct me if i'm wrong

Wraith said:
i know this is off topic but this what i heard people talking when i was at a hotel in a small town in Texas

The difference is Texas as a pre-condition to join the union has an opt out clause. If they want they can be independent. Whether it will ever happen is another matter entirely :)

However no such clause exists here with any indian state & the union.

gauviz said:
There is one thing that i simply can't understand namely that the fight for telenagana has been going on for decades yet the only party which was formed with the sole purpose of getting a separate state and it's people their rights fails to perform in elections.I don't see any point here because to me it seems even people from telengana don't really support this else this would certainly show itself in polls. Please do correct me if i'm wrong
Would the media be responsible for creating this perception ?

Maybe thats why OP brought it up ?

gauviz said:
There is one thing that i simply can't understand namely that the fight for telenagana has been going on for decades yet the only party which was formed with the sole purpose of getting a separate state and it's people their rights fails to perform in elections. I'm a strong believer in Democracy (with all it's cons). As you can see telengana would have around 150 assembly seats yet TRS is nowhere here. Even if you leave Hyderabad out of this (since its developed and all) .I don't see any point here because to me it seems even people from telengana don't really support this else this would certainly show itself in polls. Please do correct me if i'm wrong

True enough. No one with a sense of mind would support them or their cause. Its just politics for these power hungry politicians and they would just as well go completely in the opposite direction if it suits them. The only way they are getting supporters is by paying for them. Goonda's can easily be hired and now it seems students can also be easily hired. Just a couple days back the so called TRS supporters burned down two buses right in front of my house in KPHB colony.

crap ...more coalition politics , more money swindled ...should have seen this happening when that guy had the sad face plastered all over the front page

broadway, I shall reply to your post tomorrow in full detail (exams getting over lol).

Hyderabad is not just one parliament/assembly seat and NO it DOES NOT belong to Asaduddin Owaisi, whoever gave you that impression, this from a person who has lived 20+ years in the old city (Chandrayangutta, the seat from where this guy contests).

Back