Can someone explain WHY some people want a Telangana state?

sabby said:
Bimal Gurung already declares 3/5 days strike for Gorkhaland and they are seriously thinking about Hunger Strike. Source-News channel.
Now, GJM to start indefinite fast for Gorkhaland state - India - The Times of India
they've gone on strike too!

oh wait, theres more!
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...on-for-separate-state/articleshow/5322748.cms
UP too..lmao!

infact
9 states want now..http://ibnlive.in.com/news/centres-nod-to-telangana-spurs-demand-for-9-new-states/106852-37.html

^^even pakistan would have never been so successful... they must be jumping with joy

salluks said:

behathi ganga mein ab sabhi hath doye ghe....

Always strike when the iron is hot!!

^^ True enough. When we have parties like TRS or MNS and people like Mr. Broadway here that break or encourage breaking the country/states from the inside, Pakistan or China won't have to resort to cross border terrorism or other tactics to destroy India.

Is it clear that this state will really be created yet ?

Cos all i'm seeing is talk to that effect but no confirmation.

Hmm, very interesting debate happening here. But it seems to be rather one sided. So supposing the break up doesn't happen, then what will happen to Telangana province ? I mean its already in a neglected state. So what is to be done in order to develop it ?

A similar case is in Maharashtra with the Vidharba region being very backward compared to the rest of Maharashtra. Funds for development are not really reaching either of these two regions. And while I am against the idea of breaking up a state, something definitely needs to be done to change the current status quo.

Lord Nemesis said:
Huh. The TRS Goons are already terrorizing people in Hyderabad with violence.
That's an excellent perspective the united AP sympathizers display. On the one hand, they ridicule the centre for bowing down to telangana in response to a simple hunger strike and on the other hand when things get heated and violence becomes a mean then they are labeled "goons" and words like "terrorizing" are used. Just excellent.

Lord Nemesis said:
Crushing the movement would be in the best interests of everyone in the state including the people in Telangana
I don't know how good it'll prove for the people of telangana but it'll certainly ruin the plans of those politicians who do not want to let go. That is a certain.

Lord Nemesis said:
... can never rise their heads again.
That's a very dangerous thought.

^ your thoughts are even more dangerous. what's to stop similar minded politicians from doing the same modus operandi here? go on a hunger strike for 5 days and let their goons destroy the city and get a new state in exchange for their extortion. with people like you supporting them blindly, in a year or so i guess india will become about 100 states or more.

Lord Nemesis said:
^^ True enough. When we have parties like TRS or MNS and people like Mr. Broadway here that break or encourage breaking the country/states from the inside, Pakistan or China won't have to resort to cross border terrorism or other tactics to destroy India.
Desperation is not the way. If new states desire to progress then why pull there leg? You need to let go. It's not like they are separating from india. They are still a part of india. That is important. Why are you naming china and pakistan in all this? This argument is beginning to sound amateurish.

broadway said:
f new states desire to progress then why pull there leg?
Can you reply to my earlier question, i'd like to understand your basis that allows states to create themselves.

blr_p said:
In your opinion will Telengana happen ? Will AP be partitioned?
You have to admire the game the congress is playing in all this. They didn't make lil' YSR the new CM and went with rosiah instead. In response, lil' YSR fueled TSR to rake up the telangana issue and showed the congress how rosiah was incapable of keeping the state together. Who knew the congress would play hard ball by accepting the formation of the new state. State or no state, YSR family is in deep sh!t.

blr_p said:
How do you think democracy should function in this case
If rayalaseema, telangana and coastal AP can part ways with non-violence and like brothers, it'll be good for all. They could come together as one "telugu confederation" in the parliament to influence opinions. Cause small states have no role or power to influence national politics.

blr_p said:
What is the desired result you expect to see ?
Development was the prime cause and development is what people of telangana expect.

I have doubts whether the new states can sustain itself. Compromise for guaranteed developmental assurances could work thought like i already said, that boat has already sailed.

broadway said:
Desperation is not the way. If new states desire to progress then why pull there leg? You need to let go. It's not like they are separating from india. They are still a part of india. That is important. Why are you naming china and pakistan in all this? This argument is beginning to sound amateurish.

If its for the sake of development, I'd agree. Take example of Bihar and Jharkhand. Not that Jharkhand is growing in leaps and bounds as they promised, but its prospects have bettered.

On other hand if people want a separate state just because they speak different language or are from different religion, casts, cultural heritage etc...they should be given finger. If they want to break away from state one day, tomorrow they may ask for a country, not that they would get but it will still create problem. At least states with foreign borders can create enough trouble.

MAGNeT said:
Same happened with Bihar jharkhand stuff..what is with Bihar now?

Lalu, Rabdi, Nitish, Sadhu Yadav etc. etc. none of these left bihar... I just can't remember bihar without those politicians :(

Every states should own Policy of Industrial as well as Agricultural Development like Gujrat. Than I don't think any one can misguide VOTERS for separate states on basis of language, no development etc. etc.

Divide and Rule is OLD policy works in Modern Days Too :mad:

blr_p said:
@broadway
You still have not answered what the basis is for these 3 entities to separate from AP ?
It's been 40 years since the movement started and if 4 decades are not long enough for the elite to take notice and improve things then a separate state should be a favorable solution. Maybe not for the rest of andhra but definitely for telangana.

broadway said:
Do you know who this guy is?
225pxmim3.jpg

Asaduddin Owaisi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hyderabad is a ghetto. A non-muslim party will never win a seat there.
Hyderabad belongs to the person i have quoted above. If you have inside information as to which newly formed state owaisi will join then pl do tell me. It is a state capital and hence it is developed compared to other cities. What am i missing here?
I have no problem with meritocracy and i don't think posts occupied in the telangana state are based on meritocracy.
You are right. Lets see how the compromise formula works out.
Hyderabad is not just one parliamentary seat that "BELONGS" to someone. No, it cannot belong to someone or some sect. You do realise that it consists of many parliamentary and assembly seats and that MIM just wins the 3 muslim population dominated seats of Chandrayangutta, Malakpet and one more constituency, and Hyderabad doesnt end there. As far as the geographical regions of Hyderabad are concerned, it runs right from the Old city till Malakpet/Koti covering the Dilsukhnagar and other areas as well. It might be even more bigger than what I have described here. Point being, yes MIM does win a few seats in Hyderabad but that doesnt mean that Hyderabad belongs to MIM, get your facts right. And AFAIK, Baddam Bal Reddy won the Malakpet seat in 1999. I wont go into the "ghetto" politics that Owaisi clan has been using all these years so as to keep the Old city underdeveloped because of which they can remain in power while projecting the image that they are really concerned and are fighting with the governments for the development of that area.

And how do you develop a region? By disintegrating the state it is under and by making it a separate sovereign state? NO you dont do it that way, you pull up the government and the responsible MP/MLA there, and there are other ways. Around 2/3rd of the existing UP is underdeveloped, make it a separate state then. Make every underdeveloped region a separate state then, why not? Disintegrate!! I fail to understand the claims of Telangana folk that it is underdeveloped, I think it is more developed than the coastal Andhra and parts of Rayalseema (Now this region is really underdeveloped). What next? A separate Rayalseema? I fail to understand that when two cultures which speak the same language and have 90% of their traditions in common, is co-existence such a big problem?

What next, a separate Rayalseema?

@blr_p: Yes, I think that although it maybe a slow process but telangana will be created and I dont think it will make much of a difference to the region development wise. But with the newer budgets and taxes, the politicians will get even more richer.

Darthcoder said:
I fail to understand that when two cultures which speak the same language and have 90% of their traditions in common, is co-existence such a big problem?

Thats the crux of this whole thread isn't it :(

To get some perspective, does anyone recall the 'pretexts' used for jharkhand, chattisgarh & uttranchal ?

broadway said:
It's been 40 years since the movement started and if 4 decades are not long enough for the elite to take notice and improve things then a separate state should be a favorable solution. Maybe not for the rest of andhra but definitely for telangana.

J&K stuff is older....let that go too? Mere longevity of the movement does not justify the causes.

broadway said:

And I think you are being very naive. These Politicians want a seperate state because they want to be rule it for themselves and loot money from the public. There were many people who tried this in the past. Make them CM and they wound not complain about it ever after.

Do you think every one will live happily ever after once the separation is done. Will TSR be ok if Congress continues governing the new state. Do you think TSR would be ok if Telengana does not get Hyderabad considering the business established by Andhra people contributed a lot to its development? I am willing to bet that they would not agree to make it an independent union territory. What they truly want is Hyderabad only because thats where the money is. They don't care if the rest of Telengana goes to the dogs. Both Andhra and Telangana regions are heavily dependent on each other for mutual growth.

Futher I don't see any progress in seperation. Do you truly believe that Andhra and Telengana will separate and they will happily ever after. That never happens. India and Pakistan and Bangladesh separated, are they living happily ever after:? There will always be disputes over resources and what not. If I am constructing a building I would want the people mixing the cement, the peoeple carrying the bricks and cement and the people laying the the bricks to work together. Keep them seperate and you will never have the building constructed. if one of these groups is destroyed (like you said Telangana is being ostracized), the building is not going to happen. i.e the growth is not going to happen. If Telengana was really being sidelined for so many years, it would have directly affected the entire state.

Division never lends to progress. All division lends is easier control over the people. For real growth, people need to work together and the lesser the number of divisions and long lasting disputes over the divisions, the better.

btw China came into the post because dividing our country into as many number of states/countries as possible is what they have been desperately trying to figure out. And if you think that state level politics over divisions are nothing like country level politics, then I can but pity you for that. Its exactly the same thing at a maybe at a smaller scale with similar kind of implications.

Your reaction to Arya's post over letting go of J&K is quite amusing. I take it you don't agree with Arya. Why?

Back