Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Discussion Thread

xXx

Skilled
With the release of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow this week, a secret character will be playable after meeting certain conditions within the game. Following the end of the game, fans of Solid Snake will be happy to know he will be playable. Simply go to the Extras menu and you will be able to play as Solid Snake instead of Gabriel Belmont. You can choose whether Snake can wear a bandana or not.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow will be available in North America on both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on October 4, 2010.

Source: Just Push Start

And here I was thinking, why we didn't have a dedicated thread for this game. :p

I'll be starting it religously from today. Seems to be a mash between GOW & SoTC. I just tried it barely for a few minutes and the 360 version seemed to be a bit poor on frame rates, even in the cut-scenes. This was just the initial part though which had a heavy concentration of lighting & weather effects. Has anyone tried the PS3 demo yet? I was tempted to get the PS3 version first.

Hideo Kojima seems to have worked on this project. Something worth to be tried.

On a side note - Allwyn, I suppose you have played MGS4 by now? :p

Ethan_Hunt said:
'll be starting it religously from today.
On the X? :p

Ethan_Hunt said:
Has anyone tried the PS3 demo yet? I was tempted to get the PS3 version first.

Played the PS3 Demo....felt bit irritated while on-the-horse controls...its sucks....there was no framerate drop not even during the gameplay. IMO it was rocksolid @ 30fps or more (I dunno). The textures though looked Shiny, as it was raining and that put me off a bit. :p

Desecrator said:
On a side note - Allwyn, I suppose you have played MGS4 by now? :p
OH NOES! :ashamed:

Desecrator said:
On the X? :p
Yesh! I initially had it planned for the PS3, but then finished Enslaved & Ninety Nine Nights II and this released. So gave into the temptation. Hack-en-Slash gets full priority above all the other genre for me. :p

@Andy: Yeah. Way too much rain in the first level. Heck the first level could easily give 'Heavy Rain' a run for it's...umm...rain?

Had the MGS4 disc for a month and still not played boo....

Also there are many comparisons with Enslaved with Castlevania where reviewers have rated Enslaved above Castlevania.

dinjo said:
Had the MGS4 disc for a month and still not played boo....
In my defense, I'm not an MGS fan. But I might give this game a try, provided I run out of titles.

dinjo said:
Also there are many comparisons with Enslaved with Castlevania where reviewers have rated Enslaved above Castlevania.
Enslaved deserved it's 8 rating, fair and square. But Castlevania is a completely different set-up as opposed to Enslaved. I'm excpecting an EPIC 20 hour journey with Castlevania.

It was reported late last night that Metal Gear Solid's main character, Solid Snake, would be a playable character in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow once the player completes the game. Sadly, this doesn't seem to be accurate.

When asked if the reports were true, David Cox stated: "No, not true. You do not play as Solid Snake but there is an unlockable that is Kojima related :)"

So, Solid Snake isn't a playable character in Lords of Shadow, but something Kojima related is unlockable in the game. Could it be MGS related? Of course; but Solid Snake won't be a playable character in Castlevania. David also stated that there is no Solid Snake character skin to be unlocked in the game either.
Source: Examiner.com

Completed the first chapter. I'm really impressed with the boss (and mini-boss) fights. The initial levels were a bit dull, restricted by invisible walls & raped by a sadistic camera view. Platforming is decent enough and puzzle solving is moderately challenging. Graphics are gorgeous for a console title and the OST is, without a shadow of a doubt, amazing. Combat system has room for growth once you start unlocking the skills set and upgrading the Combat Cross (Gabriel's Chain Whip). Love the whole menu style which flips through the pages of a book. It's extremely comprehensive & detailed, when it comes to maintaining a record of all your scrolls, character/enemy info, combat upgrades etc. Voice acting is done pretty well, however, I think Gabriel's voice actor is either Scottish or Irish, as he seems to sport this thick accent which I sometimes fail to grasp. Thank god for subs. I can confirm the 360 version does have minor frame rate issues when it renders heavy lighting & weather effects. You can easily make out that it's not running at 30fps, but rather 22fps. I hope the latter areas are more promise and sport wider range of enemies.

Andy, when the hell is your copy arriving?

Anyway, Just completed the game in a non-stop 5 hour marathon. This is hands down a GOTY contender. The last 2 levels changed the whole face of the game with the amount of epicness filled in them. For those yet to complete the game, please don't skip the end credits. Instead, the best cut-scene in the game (and the plot twist) begins after the credits end. It's a clear indication for a sequel, which probably has the potential to be 10 times more kick-ass then this game, provided they put in the same efforts. It was a long and twisted journey, but completely satisfying. BRAVO Mercury Stream! BRAVO!

xXx said:
^I have heard its a mindless journey the whole time :p
You need to provide a reality check to the person you've heard it from, because it's anything but a mindless journey.

dinjo said:
Is it better than Enslaved?
It's unfair to draw comparison between the 2 games. However, If I had to pick only one, then I'd go with Castlevania. Enslaved was excellent in it's own right, but Castlevania pushed the envelope of EPIC-ness that much more.

u read the Destructoid review ?

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is fifteen hours of cobbled together gameplay that could be considered functional at best and worthless at worst. It's a Frankenstein's Monster of other peoples' ideas, stitched together in a haphazard and clueless way, totally bereft of soul or meaning. The easily impressed may be fooled by the game's undeniable production values and allow themselves to be tricked into thinking they're playing a masterpiece, but if anything, this title is a poor man's Dante's Inferno. Depending on your outlook that may make it a hobo's God of War.

Review: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Destructoid.com

although I do not go on Online reviews, but I have heard it from many people who have already played the game here :)

xXx said:
u read the Destructoid review ?

Review: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Destructoid.com

although I do not go on Online reviews, but I have heard it from many people who have already played the game here :)

Poor man's Dante's Inferno? ROTFL! I have played both the titles and can easily say that Dante's Inferno is nowhere close to this game. God of War III was way more epic, but Dante's Inferno, hell no. The storyline may have similarities about redemption and ressurecting true love, but it holds more value in Castlevania. Dante's Inferno has a relatively darker tone and the presentation is hell-ish, which is understandable. The final twist in the game will be something which you might have never expected. I found the start of Castlevania to be ver slow, but it slowly begins to grow on you, with the last 2 levels being the highlight reel. Also no boss fights are recycled.

Check the GameFAQS message board and you'll see how many people have loved this game. I'm amazed how some have ignored it, as it got a 7.5 rating from IGN. Since when did 7.5 turn into a bad rating?

Back