Charged 42% custom on Mobile!! Help please

mutant

Skilled
Hi guys!

I am headed off to customs office to see If I can get it changed, a good friend told me it would be good if I take a print out of the current custom rates with me.

Now I am trying to find the customs for mobiles on cbec website

Customs Tariff 2009-10 - CBEC

Now in part 2, chapter 85 ,page number 552 tells me about telephone and says there is no customs on telephones, but they do not mention mobile phones there.

So, where can I find the official rate of customs for mobile phones that I can take a printout of and show it to them while defending my case?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mutant

AFAIK if you imported a used mobile then customs will fine you a large amount for importing something without a license. Yes, you need a separate license to import used mobile phones.

If it was new, then...

Product Name Mobile phone

Custom-tarif heading 85171290

Rate of duty 5% + 1% NCCD

Licence Condition No Licence Required

Import Policy IMEI number is required

tried replying..your inbox is full.

Anyway, i'll post it here as well for the benefit of the other members.

here's where i got my information from..

globaltaxguru.in

The guy who runs that site used to work for the Indian customs. You can probably contact him for any further information.

Fahrenheit said:
tried replying..your inbox is full.

Anyway, i'll post it here as well for the benefit of the other members.

here's where i got my information from..

globaltaxguru.in

The guy who runs that site used to work for the Indian customs. You can probably contact him for any further information.
WONDERFUL source, thanks for sharing !!

Went to the customs office today and its all F***ked up! They say that everything bought for personal use will be charged at flat 42% . I told them that the entire India is getting phones for 1.08% customs and then they say that was before march, starting april, things have changed and everything bought for personal usage falls under the category 9804 and will be charged flat 42% customs!!!

I asked them if they would be willing to see the receipts of other custom offices, they say, they don't make the mistakes others are doing and that they are doing it correctly. :S

WTH!! What am I suppose to do now :( :mad:

And the owner of Globaltaxguru.in was awesome help, he actually talked to the assistant commissioner on my behalf and tried to explain him...... :cheers:

Let's see what happens, I will be going to custom office again tomorrow :(

That's really bad.

I'll rather sue those idiots in consumer court than paying that much of tax. It would be good to see them fired.

BTW, what phone did you import ? What was the cost ?

Imported a HTC Desire Z ( Tmobile G2) and it cost me 15k...

They have evaluated it at 15k and are asking for ~6.5k in customs :(

Anyone has any contacts in Kolkata to help me out here?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

trigger said:
Mutant is it a Vibrant?

It's a Tmobile G2 :(

Damn, I'm absolutely sure it's 1.3%. Aramex, who incidentally import a lot of stuff like these confirmed that. The rates did increase for a brief while, but it's BACK to 1.3 % since April 1.

Stupid Government employees, sometimes I wonder if they hire people based on how low their IQ is. I mean, really? How can he say that they're the only one who are doing it right by charging 42%?!

Keep trying mate, I'm sure they're just charging you that much because they don't know the latest rate. Good luck!

and they tell me that only those who order in bulk gets 1.8%, rest if you import anything for personal use, you need to pay 42% flat...mind you, anything ...just anything ...

how can that be !!!

I think you should show them a hard copy of the bill passed recently in which the custom chargers are revised to 1.3%, I think you can get this from any person who is a custom clearing agent.

Or if u want i can send you a copy of the custom i paid on captivate on 21/4 i was charged at 1.3%

@mutant

I'll be getting a Vibrant through Aramex today. It is charged duty @ 1.03%. I'll send you the scanned copy of the bill in the afternoon or tomorrow. In the meantime if anybody else can help him - please help.

Also there are some agents at the foreign post office - they will take some charge and will try to work for you - see if you can contact any of them. I had some contact at the FPO a few years ago - not anymore!!

If I can find something positive - I'll call you.

They are charging it according to the following :

India Customs Information

So, get a signed copy of declaration from the seller that the phone was a gift and file a refund claim with all documents as mentioned in this page:

Central Board of Excise and Customs

Back