Cherrinet Broadband

ashrr

Adept
You broadband Chennai users, have pings to Valve SG servers gone up? All the servers that I used to get the ~70ms ping have now shot upto ~200.. Anyone else facing similar issue?

My pings to Dota 2 SG servers are very weird. One game it's 50, and another it's 250+. However, I suspect this is an issue with Valve's servers and not You Broadband since my friends on other ISPs were facing similar issues.

Regardless, I am disconnecting my line as of today, and have switched to Cherrinet.

My pings to Dota 2 SG servers are very weird. One game it's 50, and another it's 250+. However, I suspect this is an issue with Valve's servers and not You Broadband since my friends on other ISPs were facing similar issues.

Regardless, I am disconnecting my line as of today, and have switched to Cherrinet.

Thank heavens for that, last month my connection was down for like 25 days, I had to go to their office a couple times and then they managed to fix it. I have renewed for another month. I like how these new FTTH ISPs are sprouting up, how is their feedback? Have you done any research?

Thank heavens for that, last month my connection was down for like 25 days, I had to go to their office a couple times and then they managed to fix it. I have renewed for another month. I like how these new FTTH ISPs are sprouting up, how is their feedback? Have you done any research?

I've already been using it for around 2 weeks now. It's quite stable. Goes down occasionally but hasn't taken more than an hour to come back. Speeds are top notch. You Broadband speeds dropped considerably recently. I was getting around 200 kb/s downloads on a 100 mbps connection and the assholes had the gall to try and dodge the issue by saying kbit is not the same as kb/s.

The best part about Cherrinet so far has been the customer care (I know, right?). While You Broadband call center was a canned 4-8 working hours response with no call back, these guys call within an hour even if you raise a complaint online instead of the call center. You Broadband is also useless when the power goes down in the area, even if you have a back up in the house but with Cherrinet, the box is placed inside your own house, so internet isn't interrupted during a power outage as long as you have backup.

Downsides - The plans are noticeably more expensive than You. 2k a month plus tax for 125 GB compared to 200 GB for 1699 plus tax from You Broadband, but I value stability more than anything else. Their call center also only works from 8 AM to 8 PM, so you can't reach them later than that. I'm also getting a lot of packet loss to the Valve SG servers from Cherrinet for some reason, but other games are fine. You works well with the same servers.

Some friends in the Kilpauk area have been using Cherrinet for a few months now and recommend it as well.

I've already been using it for around 2 weeks now. It's quite stable. Goes down occasionally but hasn't taken more than an hour to come back. Speeds are top notch. You Broadband speeds dropped considerably recently. I was getting around 200 kb/s downloads on a 100 mbps connection and the assholes had the gall to try and dodge the issue by saying kbit is not the same as kb/s.

The best part about Cherrinet so far has been the customer care (I know, right?). While You Broadband call center was a canned 4-8 working hours response with no call back, these guys call within an hour even if you raise a complaint online instead of the call center. You Broadband is also useless when the power goes down in the area, even if you have a back up in the house but with Cherrinet, the box is placed inside your own house, so internet isn't interrupted during a power outage as long as you have backup.

Downsides - The plans are noticeably more expensive than You. 2k a month plus tax for 125 GB compared to 200 GB for 1699 plus tax from You Broadband, but I value stability more than anything else. Their call center also only works from 8 AM to 8 PM, so you can't reach them later than that. I'm also getting a lot of packet loss to the Valve SG servers from Cherrinet for some reason, but other games are fine. You works well with the same servers.

Some friends in the Kilpauk area have been using Cherrinet for a few months now and recommend it as well.

Thanks for the detailed information, already registered interest with them, they will get back to me on the feasibility. I couldn't agree more on the reliability being the top priority. The packet loss to the valve server may be a deal breaker, does it result in a laggy experience? Have you tested with other servers? Also, do you get full upload speed as well?

Thanks for the detailed information, already registered interest with them, they will get back to me on the feasibility. I couldn't agree more on the reliability being the top priority. The packet loss to the valve server may be a deal breaker, does it result in a laggy experience? Have you tested with other servers? Also, do you get full upload speed as well?

It isn't unplayable for me, but definitely noticeable. I don't know if you play Dota, but it causes me to miss some last hits or not get the spell cast off when I want it so it can be really bad in certain situations. I didn't have any issues playing more casual MMO games like Guild Wars 2 or WildStar though. Also, I had my friend from Kilpauk check his connection and he had no packet loss to the SG server, so I guess it's just my line.

I had bad speeds all of last evening so I made a ticket. I got a call back from them at 8:45 AM this morning and I couldn't pick it up. Received a message that my ticket was closed which was kind of annoying because they didn't give me a chance to test it, but when I did, speeds seemed back to normal again, uploads included.

It isn't unplayable for me, but definitely noticeable. I don't know if you play Dota, but it causes me to miss some last hits or not get the spell cast off when I want it so it can be really bad in certain situations. I didn't have any issues playing more casual MMO games like Guild Wars 2 or WildStar though. Also, I had my friend from Kilpauk check his connection and he had no packet loss to the SG server, so I guess it's just my line.

I had bad speeds all of last evening so I made a ticket. I got a call back from them at 8:45 AM this morning and I couldn't pick it up. Received a message that my ticket was closed which was kind of annoying because they didn't give me a chance to test it, but when I did, speeds seemed back to normal again, uploads included.

Hmm..keep us posted, dunno if we should start another thread for Cherrinet.

Hmm..keep us posted, dunno if we should start another thread for Cherrinet.

Posted about what? I'm not planning on raising a ticket until the next cycle because I've actually crossed my FUP right now and I'm still getting max speeds :p Don't want them to make any changes right now. I'll know on the 15th.

Well, if the issue gets sorted out, if it's working fine for others, then it's obviously specific to your line.

Same boat mate, just keep reviewing their regret messages, will probably not renew after this month.

Edit - I don't think Act users are any better off, a friend of mine residing I'm be sant Nagar and adyar are having non working act connections from a couple days. The torrential rains haven't spared any is, only airtel adsl continues to soldier on.

I'm still getting some packet loss in game, so is my friend in Kilpauk using Cherrinet, but my ping is great at 30 to SG servers. Regardless it's a million times better than You Broadband. I complained about Packet Loss and at the very least, they called me back quickly and tried to change the routing to fix it. You Broadband would have just given me a canned response and forgotten about it.

Also, almost all providers went down during the rains. Cherrinet was down for a whole day, but they fixed it and it has been working great ever since.

Good uptime and upload speed are really important for me. BTW I saw cherrinet from that thread and my area is listed on that too.

I was the one who wrote about Cherrinet in the other thread. I've been using them in the ECR-Kottivakkam area since October. My experience with them continues to be positive. Stability has been rock solid for me. The longest downtime I've had so far was around 12 hours when my account seemed to have expired even though I'd paid the amount to renew the connection. They said it was due to a "system error". I didn't press the issue. It happened once again a few months later, when I paid the money a few hours before it was scheduled to expire, but this time the downtime was only about an hour or so. Apart from that, uptime has been nothing short of incredible. Occasionally , the modem lights might go off, but they come back within a couple of minutes. Even during the massive floods last year, they were one of the first providers to get their services up and running.

As far as speeds go, my uploads seem to be great. I regularly upload heavy files to Google Drive to share with my clients, but even ones that are a few gigs in size are uploaded in 5 to 10 minutes. Downloads, are hit or miss though, depending on the source. I get a stable 8 to 10 MB/s on Steam. The last time I installed Dota which was around 8 gigs, the entire process took about 12 minutes. Large files from Google Drive are also nearly as quick. I don't use torrents much, but I've noticed that they range from 500 kb/s to 5 MB/s or more. Perhaps changing trackers or torrent client settings might help, but I haven't really tried. Web based downloads are okay-ish, again, depending on the source.

If you're a gamer, pings to SEA and Europe are excellent, around 35 to 150 respectively. When I first got the connection, I had horrible packet loss for nearly two months, but a friend and I complained consistently, providing screenshots and other info. They responded promptly, but it still took them a month or two from then to eventually solve the issue for good. Since then, I've had absolutely zero packet loss though, which is great.

One extremely weird con about the connection though, is that sometimes, browsing slows down considerably and some sites are even inaccessible entirely. As I am typing this, I can't seem to open Facebook and Imgur at all. This happens a little too often for my liking, but given that everything else is generally fine, I let it slide. I just raise a complaint and it gets fixed soon enough, which brings me to my final point.

Their customer care, is unbelievably AMAZING. Hands down the best I've used in this country across any service. The communication between customer care and the billing or technical teams is on point. They forward your query and someone from the respective department calls you back within an hour or so. The technical department is also actually knowledgeable for once, not brain dead monkeys like the "engineers" at Airtel who didn't know the meaning of a traceroute or the fine folks at You Broadband who'd give me a canned response of "4 to 8 working hours" and then do nothing. I don't even need to call the customer care here. Logging complaints through the website is nearly as quick.

Sometimes, I even hold off on making a complaint if there's some issue. These guys are so prompt that they wake me up in the mornings with their phone calls when I want to sleep in. Seriously, if your alarm clock breaks, just raise some random complaint and go to bed. They'll give you wake up calls :p

Which area are you moving to? My friend in another area across the city has also had a really good experience with these guys so far and has taken up an annual package.

@ashrr Since they have coverage in my area, I think I'll ask them about it. Anyway, how are they managing the FUP counter? Is it fair?

I think so. To be honest, I don't track it on a daily basis or anything, because I'm not someone who downloads constantly. With regards to FUP, here's what I've noticed.

1. If you hit the FUP, you cannot force your next billing cycle to start immediately. I could do this with You Broadband. For example, if I hit my FUP 1 or 2 days before the date of renewal, I could forego those two days and force start a new monthly plan to get back to full speed. With Cherrinet, you have to wait until the end of the full month to start the next or else you have to buy a booster pack for more data if you want high speed immediately.

2. Last month, I had some relatives staying over so we hit the 120 GB FUP fairly quickly. I purchased extra data of 25GB. However, once that was active, I must have downloaded at least twice as much and my speed never dropped. I guess it was some backend issue, but it worked out in my favour.

3. Unlike ACT, both downloads and uploads count towards the FUP, so keep that in mind.

4. On average, according to their calculator, our usage in a family of 4 seems to be around 2 to 3 gigs a day when nobody downloads anything in particular.

@ashrr how is it going bro, Cherrinet is now available in my area, but I have also upgraded to Airtel V Fiber, haven't renewed You boradband which expired a couple days back. I am guessing you still recommend Cherrinet? Contrary to your point #3 above about upload and download the sales lady said that UL/DL are counted separately 100GB for each.

I too switched to Cherrinet about 2 months back. Surprisingly good so far. Airtel don't seem interested in offering VFiber in my area, and their line engineer messed up my ADSL stability, so got fed up. The low latencies and symmetrical upload speeds on fiber will be impossible for Airtel to match with VDSL. From my understanding, the main source of complaints for Cherrinet seem to be at the sales stage, i.e. signing up, paying and not getting the connection. Our building association were firm to make them lay a line, offer a demo in the clubhouse and wire the building properly. If yours is a similar scenario, then you shouldn't have any problem.

I actually second the customer support aspect ashrr raised. I was having packet loss to valve servers, and with tracert I noticed it was dropping in the Tata side of the network. Thankfully they understood and did something in the back end that routes me via Airtel instead. Someone on broadbandforum mentioned that their NOC is aware of this and will be buying bandwidth exclusively from Airtel soon.

Some other observations :-
Their web portal feels a bit amateurish. Upload and download are indeed counted separately, although this is not very clear from your account page.
Payments are all prepaid, which is a plus point in case you need to disconnect or are heading out of town and don't need service, but also doesn't give you much of breathing space like the typical bill generated + x days to pay system.
The sales agent was honest that about half their line leading to my building was still above the surface, but they were working hard to get everything underground.

I too switched to Cherrinet about 2 months back. Surprisingly good so far. Airtel don't seem interested in offering VFiber in my area, and their line engineer messed up my ADSL stability, so got fed up. The low latencies and symmetrical upload speeds on fiber will be impossible for Airtel to match with VDSL. From my understanding, the main source of complaints for Cherrinet seem to be at the sales stage, i.e. signing up, paying and not getting the connection. Our building association were firm to make them lay a line, offer a demo in the clubhouse and wire the building properly. If yours is a similar scenario, then you shouldn't have any problem.

I actually second the customer support aspect ashrr raised. I was having packet loss to valve servers, and with tracert I noticed it was dropping in the Tata side of the network. Thankfully they understood and did something in the back end that routes me via Airtel instead. Someone on broadbandforum mentioned that their NOC is aware of this and will be buying bandwidth exclusively from Airtel soon.

Some other observations :-
Their web portal feels a bit amateurish. Upload and download are indeed counted separately, although this is not very clear from your account page.
Payments are all prepaid, which is a plus point in case you need to disconnect or are heading out of town and don't need service, but also doesn't give you much of breathing space like the typical bill generated + x days to pay system.
The sales agent was honest that about half their line leading to my building was still above the surface, but they were working hard to get everything underground.

Thanks @Crazy_Eddy , this definitely helps. Unfortunately, our building is a small appartments, but they are strict with the lines being laid, at this moment, it is just me that is interested in the connection, may have to check with others. As for Airtel, had it for stability, but since I have upgraded to V Fiber, the Beetel modem does disconnects a few times a day, which defeats the purpose, unfortunately we would like to hold on to the landline and hence will have to keep the connection, given your feedback, I may try Cheerinet, they arent willing to waive off the Rs.600 installation charge, despite me having 2 internet connections and wanting to try theirs.

Also, they said the will provide a modem, do you know what brand the modem is and have you tried their 250+ mbps plans, are they truly 250 mbps, do you get the same speed on American servers?

Appreciate your time.

Yeah Airtel's VDSL move has ruined their reliability image. Even ADSL became flaky. They upgraded my modem to the Beetel and then to a Binatone (which looks like its the same Realtek platform internally), and it only became worse. They might as well stop trying to optimise their network and work on rolling out actual fiber instead. Even I've only kept it for the landline. They're not offering any landline plans so asked them to disconnect and then they offered a 75% rental discount on my existing 1499 plan which works out to ~450 after taxes. If only other ISPs offered landline services and there was number portability for landlines too :(

The device is a ZTE ZXHN F643 GPON ONU. It basically has the fiber optic cable coming in, and a LAN port out. Good thing its plug n play, the entire UI is in Chinese :D. You just have to setup PPPoE on your router or PC.
I'm on the 200Mbps plan. They themselves mentioned somewhere that the Mbps and Gbps speeds are rated only to their NOC. My 10/100 router has actually become a bottleneck. I did connect it directly to the PC's gigabit port once and ran some quick speedtests. Side note - they use MAC authentication, so if you change your router or connect your PC directly, either clone the MAC address or call up customer care and ask them to reset the MAC authentication. Surprisingly I did get 200Mbps to Singapore servers, but American servers were a lot lower. They just peer with Airtel/Tata networks at Tidel Park or Santhome, so any bottlenecks I assume are outside their network. Airtel's core network seems good, Cherrinet just happens to be a better way to access it.

They waived the installation charges for our building. But they did say the minimum monthly plan I had to opt for was the Rs. 1499 plan - 200Mbps/250GB, or pay 3 months upfront for any of the starter 999/1099 plans. Since I was already paying 1499 on Airtel, I didn't mind opting for the 1499 plan, especially since the sales rep seemed to indicate they don't have the option to change your plan midway and I'd have been stuck for 3 months.

Last edited:
Cherrinet have updated their plans and made them unlimited. Not updated on their site as yet. And the sales guy wasn't able to explain why the SME plans have limits.

Scan10003.jpg

They have now updated their sites as unlimited for three plans for residential use only. Can existing owners confirm if it's truly unlimited? Extremely tempted to try it out.

They have now updated their sites as unlimited for three plans for residential use only. Can existing owners confirm if it's truly unlimited? Extremely tempted to try it out.
Any update on this guys? Now I have all the top fiber providers in ny area - Act, Hathway, Cherrinet, You and Airtel. I am contemplating the Cherrinet plan, Hathway called and mentioned they have 100mbps with 1tb fup for 1k including tax. However the Cherrinet deal is sweeter with no fup. If anyone has experience if it is truly unlimited?

Unfortunately my data usage isn't much these days, but if the user console is any indication, they have indeed set it at 99,999 GB :-
untitled.png

I tried ACT for 2 months, but switched back to Cherrinet since browsing felt faster on Cherrinet.

Unfortunately my data usage isn't much these days, but if the user console is any indication, they have indeed set it at 99,999 GB :-
View attachment 72657

I tried ACT for 2 months, but switched back to Cherrinet since browsing felt faster on Cherrinet.
Thanks @Crazy_Eddy, why did you want to try act and did you have to pay the installation charges? I have been trying to get it waived, but they won't budge.

Back