Common Scams happpening in India, list the ones you may know

I fall in that category. The people my friend was referring to make well ...crores in a shot while we take baby steps and make somewhat good profits.

Yeah but you see, this profit of crores takes similarly large investment. They aren't making crores on thousands. Stock market is called scam or gamble by the very people who have no knowledge of stock market.

Maybe the relationship he wants to pursue is not just about the money.

download_zpsd9896113.jpg

I just dodged an attempt last week.
Right after I got out of a Metro Station, a guy was sitting on a bike called out to me in a begging manner and told me
1) he his wallet was stolen.
2) His bike doesn't have any fuel left.
3) His mobile doesn't have any talk-time left.
He asked me my mobile to make a call to get help from some friend.

Whew! it was a clear setup, I hand over my mobile to him and he would just get away on his bike with my mobile.
~ I straight away refused him.

No one with mobile and bike can be so helpless.

This is a rather interesting thread. These are not really scams but better be safe than sorry
1. Travelling by shared auto, specially in Hyderabad's Hi-Tech area. They carry a total of 5 people - 3 in the back, 2 in the front. You will sometimes get an auto which will have only 1 seat at the back which is empty. As you approach the auto, one of the guys from back will get down so that you can sit in between.
The auto will start and then stop after 100 mts. The driver will ask the one of the front guy to try and stuff in at the back, because "police inspection". While there will be lot of play acting and shoving, the corner most of guy will be taking your mobile phone.
Sometimes there are variations of it where the corner most guy is so heavy that the whole stuffing routine is not required. Once you get down, pay the money and check your pockets, they will long gone.

This trick is normally pulled during the evening time when noting down numbers etc is difficult. After hearing about this incident, I used to keep one hand on my phone when travelling via shared autos.

2. This one is rather elaborate one, narrated by a friend and I am now narrating with some added color :p
My friend was approached by two guys on the street on scotty, they wanted to sell a new Iphone because "they were leaving town". The price they quoted was 20k. My friend got suspicious, so he tried to ignore them. They pursued him and showed a custom paid bill with stamp and all for the phone. They even gave him the phone to check out. It was completely new and functional. My friend still suspicious, wavered a little. So they took out a bundle of cash and showed it to him -- its not about the money they told; just want to get rid of it. So my friend wavered a bit more.
Trying to negotiate, he said I dont have 20k with me. They came down to 11k; nope not even that much, they said "ok, whatever is there in your bank account". So final deal was for 7k.

They all together walked to an ATM. My friend withdrew the cash and came out. One of the guys was sitting there on the scooter; while the other had approached with the phone in his hand. He took the cash and gave the phone to my friend who started admiring his purchase. Suddenly the first guy says oh! the charger is with the 2nd guy and takes the phone. My friend gets distracted by the 2nd guy calling him and giving him the charger. When he turns around to look at the phone, the first guy whips out a black polythene and drops in the phone. Then they both get on the scotty and sped off. My friend when checks the bag, it actually contains a cheap charger and the wodden dispaly model of the phone (which looks quite real at a distance).

This is a rather interesting thread. These are not really scams but better be safe than sorry
1. Travelling by shared auto, specially in Hyderabad's Hi-Tech area. They carry a total of 5 people - 3 in the back, 2 in the front. You will sometimes get an auto which will have only 1 seat at the back which is empty. As you approach the auto, one of the guys from back will get down so that you can sit in between.
The auto will start and then stop after 100 mts. The driver will ask the one of the front guy to try and stuff in at the back, because "police inspection". While there will be lot of play acting and shoving, the corner most of guy will be taking your mobile phone.
Sometimes there are variations of it where the corner most guy is so heavy that the whole stuffing routine is not required. Once you get down, pay the money and check your pockets, they will long gone.

This trick is normally pulled during the evening time when noting down numbers etc is difficult. After hearing about this incident, I used to keep one hand on my phone when travelling via shared autos.

You are very lucky if you end up loosing phone. There are similar instances where people were taken to remote ares and beaten up for money. I mean the same 3 people in the back and 2 in front to cover you sitting in the back middle seat.

If you by any chance work in Hinjewadi area (in Pune) and travel to Mumbai, NEVER take the cabs or lifts from people on the Highway.
There are people in group who would offer lift or may be you will only seek lift and they may even charge less but there is a good chance they will rob you and dump besides highway.
Many IT folks have been victim of these. For saving 50 rupees these people take such silly risks.
I would always suggest travelling in Neeta Volvo and such buses.

If you by any chance work in Hinjewadi area (in Pune) and travel to Mumbai, NEVER take the cabs or lifts from people on the Highway.
There are people in group who would offer lift or may be you will only seek lift and they may even charge less but there is a good chance they will rob you and dump besides highway.
Many IT folks have been victim of these. For saving 50 rupees these people take such silly risks.
I would always suggest travelling in Neeta Volvo and such buses.
Heard about this a while back. There were quite a few incidents like these. My friend works in Hinjewadi and he always feels unsafe at night even while travelling by bike to his home in Baner.

Both the incidents you narrated are scams. Scams or cons are made to deceive people of money.
I missed the words "common"- not really "common" scams. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1404318897][/DOUBLEPOST]
You are very lucky if you end up loosing phone. There are similar instances where people were taken to remote ares and beaten up for money. I mean the same 3 people in the back and 2 in front to cover you sitting in the back middle seat.
You haven't seen my build ;)
Jokes aside, the place between Hi-tech towards JNTU is deserted but never heard of such incidents.

This happened with the parents of a friend.
My friend is based out of Bhilai, and his mother was undergoing treatment in Delhi. An insurance agent collected some documents from them to open an local account in Delhi for payment convenience. He got them to submit a cancelled cheque on which the agent had written cancelled with his own pen.
After few days a amount of 50lacs was withdrawn using the cancelled cheque from the Bhilai account. Strangely no clarification call or alert sms was sent out. .
The case is being investigated, but it seems that the cheque was 'cleaned' and the signature forged. The pen had some soluble/vanishing ink

- Be aware while handing over cheques.
- Use your own pen
- block the cheque, if necessary

This happened with the parents of a friend.
My friend is based out of Bhilai, and his mother was undergoing treatment in Delhi. An insurance agent collected some documents from them to open an local account in Delhi for payment convenience. He got them to submit a cancelled cheque on which the agent had written cancelled with his own pen.
After few days a amount of 50lacs was withdrawn using the cancelled cheque from the Bhilai account. Strangely no clarification call or alert sms was sent out. .
The case is being investigated, but it seems that the cheque was 'cleaned' and the signature forged. The pen had some soluble/vanishing ink

- Be aware while handing over cheques.
- Use your own pen
- block the cheque, if necessary

me too from bhilai :D :D, but damm :O , how can a bank can clear 50lac worth check without calling and confirming the owner :O

I always use to get calls from bank whenever from check amount exceeds 10 lac

Back