Common Scams happpening in India, list the ones you may know

but it seems that the cheque was 'cleaned' and the signature forged. The pen had some soluble/vanishing ink
Yes it is very easy to do that.

So how do you prevent it? Apply cello tape on name, amount etc. And always strike out 'bearer' and try to give 'A/c payee' cheque as much as possible.

Same here for any exceeding 5 lacs.
me too from bhilai :D :D, but damm :O , how can a bank can clear 50lac worth check without calling and confirming the owner :O

I always use to get calls from bank whenever from check amount exceeds 10 lac

Yeah,.. thats what.. They used o get calls to clear any cheque ..but for this no call was made.. The cheque was cleared to an account of SBI/UBI

Just got a call from this number - +918097715047
Truecaller shows Javd Kazi, Bangalore

There was a woman saying she is calling from Idea company and said her company had sent an sms to my number. I replied by saying I do not want an Idea card. She said she is not trying to sell me one. I asked why are you calling me then? I have an Airtel number. She started getting annoyed. And kept asking me about my personal details and the average Bill value of my connection. I said why should I disclose my personal details with you and I havent received any SMS.

She started getting restless and said Sir, all the customers share their details. I declined. She very rudely said Its not an issue if you are being hard to deal with I will call some other customer.
I was like wtf just happened?
Anyone else had such an experience.

Last edited:
She started getting restless and said Sir, all the customers share their details. I declined. She very rudely said Its not an issue if you are being hard to deal with I will call some other customer.
I was like wtf just happened?
Anyone else had such an experience.
U just need to ask few personal questions from her like your age, place and marital status, do you have bf/fiancee, are you beautiful etc etc.......in exchange of your details.
Believe me she will disconnect the call first, rather than you have to do so.

I am not saying that do this with every call, but for this frustrating one - yes & its really helpful.

U just need to ask few personal questions from her like your age, place and marital status, do you have bf/fiancee, are you beautiful etc etc.......in exchange of your details.
Believe me she will disconnect the call first, rather than you have to do so.

I am not saying that do this with every call, but for this frustrating one - yes & its really helpful.
I have to try this!

not sure if mentioned here before, but one scam I've came across various times was the "used car " scam on classifieds like olx. It goes like this...generally there would be a listing for a car way below market price, like for example a 2008 BMW X5 for 5 lacs . There would be no numbers mentioned on the ad or even if there's one, it would be some kind of auto-reply, voicemail setup. When we reply to the ad we get a pre-formatted reply which looks similar to this:

Hello,
Thank you for inquiring about my [Year] [Car Make]. The car has been well taken care of, always kept in the garage and it has only XXX kms. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no finance. It have all the papers and documents and it is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident. The price is RS XXX including the shipping to your address (only in India). The car is registered (and located) in India but currently I am located in United Kingdom because I have just finished the divorce with my husband and I have moved back home. I've already arranged the shipping and the papers transfer anywhere in India and the delivery will take approx 1 to 3 working days (with insurance and 7 days return policy).
The sale will be managed only through eBay since they offer the highest rate of safety and reliability during online transactions, and only after you will receive the car, I will receive the payment; this way we are both 100% protected.
To start the transaction I just need a firm decision if you want to buy this or not and your complete name and shipping address. After that you will receive an invoice from eBay Motors that will tell you all the details you need to know about our transaction and also will give you the choice to proceed or not with the deal.

Kind Regards,
some funny names like Sivan Chino, Caroline Malhotra etc..

They also contact directly to people who post wanted ads for a particular car.

Some pointers to identify these type of scammers would be:
  • exceptionally low price, below market price for a particular model
  • no locally identifiable phone numbers or no numbers at all
  • pictures of the car posted will be in some other countries. Although one can usually identify from photos the locale is not India, in rare cases scammers would take photos from expired ads that were genuine and post it as theirs
  • the reply we get similar to the example quoted above
These type of scams were common on Craigslist a decade ago on developed countries. Now they are targeting countries like India. So stay alert and warn any friends/relatives who are on the lookout for a used car on online classifieds

Last edited:
^ I was looking for a used car for my brother and have had experience with these kind of sellers. Will post their email conversation later.

Here goes.......my experience with one of the scamsters on quikr. The Ad was for a 2013 i20 Asta Diesel for just 120000/-
Thinking there might be some loan on the car and hence the low price I contacted the seller through quikr.

uploadfromtaptalk1406791155313.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1406791172798.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1406791187434.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1406791206869.jpg

I sent an email to quikr support team

uploadfromtaptalk1406791258359.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1406791276385.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1406791290899.jpg

it would've been fun if you continued as if you are falling for the scam. why did you ruin it so early?
Was not in the mood to continue at that time. Was too tired, going to far off places like chembur and wadala for test drives, to give a damn at that time. In hindsight, I should have done what you said. [emoji6]

Sorry man, I dint mean anything bad here. was just kidding.
Why so serious man. What you suggested could have worked. Will keep in mind next time. [emoji23]

A colleague got a call from a man saying he was eligible for a new card, which would give a whopping 20% cashback - all he needed was to give the OTP code which came on his phone, for verification. He refused, and cut the phone.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Would like to get the guys behind bars.

3. Get rich scheme / Amway / Other MLM

Don't tell about what you dont know...Amway is a superb brand which sells high quality products. I am a user for 10 years.[DOUBLEPOST=1409563030][/DOUBLEPOST]
The products they offer are over-priced
i agree with you .. its over priced.. but if you use it the way they direct you to use its a big money saver in the long run.. and they also give discounts for those who have accounts with them...

Back