Computer table ideas

we have drawers similar to #4 in our office, they are ikea ones I think? The table is also great. Any idea what the approximate cost of something like that is?

You guys forgot you can use squared steel frame. They cost a lot less than wood if you are concerned about the pricing. Hard wood is really costly but I like the texture of wood so I want to cut costs by using ply. No painting, coloring. Just natural wood brown color with that final clear coating.
Anyway, I want to make this table somewhat modular if possible. I need some mechanism for "slide in/slide out" and something to hold them in place. I'm thinking of using it to attach the top surface to the frame.

Just an update.
I contacted a local carpenter. Price is not feasible for a custom table even with ply.
I've decided to go for a simple table with two drawers on the sides and a surface table on the top. The good thing about this is disassembly will be easy and quick.
I'll try to get some "customizations" in if I can. Budget limitations is too damn hard. If only I was good at carpentry I could cut the labor cost by a lot but that's out of the window.
Anyway I'll keep you guys posted.

So an update, I discussed the designs and costs with some local carpenters and the price went over the moon except this isn't crypto. Labour costs 3k per day and some of the designs would take 2-3 days minimum. So as I mentioned somewhere earlier, I will be going for a simple table with drawers added separately.

Anyone here used IKEA products? How's the build and construction?
Anyone know if these drawers are IKEA's?
IMG_20210609_193259~2.jpg
If I could find something like this then my dilemma would be over. I will just buy 1-2 of these and put two hard wooden planks over them to make it an "L" shape.

I also looked for a smaller version of this but couldn't find it.
Screenshot_20210611-210600.png

i was in the same boat last year and got this made in november. i wanted the same ikea look with the drawers but then scrapped off the idea and made a simple 4 legged table instead. top is plywood as wood is much heavier so needs more support and ugly design tweaks which i didn't want. legs are steel powder coated with matte black. pretty satisfied with the output however i wish i chose a better looking mica sheet (for the plywood). the ikea one looks so beautiful (some walnut finish).

length is 62cm. width and height i don't remember now

want to add some warm led strips next time

tempImageLuifia.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg

tempImageU59fNa.jpg

tempImagem3BMnW.jpg

Your setup and room look like the office of some CEO's.
Some questions, how thick is the ply? How much did you spend on the table in total? And steel frame and labour costs?

Last edited:
About IKEA products, I can't comment on the products themselves but the availability is an issue. Not all of their catalogue is available India AND most of their computer desks are out of stock.

About IKEA products, I can't comment on the products themselves but the availability is an issue. Not all of their catalogue is available India AND most of their computer desks are out of stock.

Check out the Fredde desk from Ikea, no drawers but looks interesting

People on reddit and other places have made some nice setups with it, seems sturdy too

2m2mnwkzvvh61.jpg

kqkcg8ruuu561.jpg

is6syawouln61.jpg

I'm using this to see the list
IKEA doesn't ship to my place lol.

BTW what should be the height of the table? What is the "ideal" height? My current table is 2'4". My height is 5'8-9".
Or should it depend on the height of the chair?

Last edited:
I'm using this to see the list
IKEA doesn't ship to my place lol.

BTW what should be the height of the table? What is the "ideal" height? My current table is 2'4". My height is 5'8-9".
Or should it depend on the height of the chair?
industry/market has a standard height follow that dont go according to your height or custom height etc than you would face issues with ready made chairs etc . A stepped table would be recommended for monitor or monitor arm , makes the table more usable and keeps things clean keyboard mouse cables have straight drops at the rear etc , if you have space than go for L shaped ones (reason being when you want to write something /take notes the keyboard occupies the space)

you can go on this approach

View attachment 106857
I have been using a couple of desks from Ikea.
They are built for the cost, they have 2k worth tables which get the work done and there is the most popular rock solid Ikea computer table, Fredde (https://www.ikea.com/in/en/p/fredde-gaming-desk-black-30361953/)

The drawer you posted about is indeed Alex drawer unit from Ikea >> https://www.ikea.com/in/en/p/alex-drawer-unit-black-brown-00473551/

I have been using a couple of desks from Ikea.
They are built for the cost, they have 2k worth tables which get the work done and there is the most popular rock solid Ikea computer table, Fredde (https://www.ikea.com/in/en/p/fredde-gaming-desk-black-30361953/)

The drawer you posted about is indeed Alex drawer unit from Ikea >> https://www.ikea.com/in/en/p/alex-drawer-unit-black-brown-00473551/
you could easily copy th ikea tables they have provided measurements. Problem with ikea is we are indians ,hame janmo janmo ka saathi chahiye not some 2 year flicks ,ikea tables are particle board/mdf they wont last long , pickup the design get good marine plywood and get good laminate of choice and build it it will be great

there are many furniture guys who would take the design and material of choice and build them for you at there workshop ,no need to bring them in to your house and pay those per day hefty prices

So an update, I discussed the designs and costs with some local carpenters and the price went over the moon except this isn't crypto. Labour costs 3k per day and some of the designs would take 2-3 days minimum. So as I mentioned somewhere earlier, I will be going for a simple table with drawers added separately.

View attachment 106857
If I could find something like this then my dilemma would be over. I will just buy 1-2 of these and put two hard wooden planks over them to make it an "L" shape.

I also looked for a smaller version of this but couldn't find it.
View attachment 106858

Yep. The first one is the Alex drawer. It's pretty sturdy though if you live in a dusty environment then the stuff inside does tend to get a bit dirty. The second one is also from Ikea. Can't remember the name anymore but it's made out of thin metal. Not recommended as per people online.
you could easily copy th ikea tables they have provided measurements. Problem with ikea is we are indians ,hame janmo janmo ka saathi chahiye not some 2 year flicks ,ikea tables are particle board/mdf they wont last long , pickup the design get good marine plywood and get good laminate of choice and build it it will be great

there are many furniture guys who would take the design and material of choice and build them for you at there workshop ,no need to bring them in to your house and pay those per day hefty prices

Different Table Tops are made of different material. A Gerton, which is made of solid wood, will last you a very long time. The
LINNMON won't last as long since it has a paper filling and 2 thin boards holding it together. Light weight and sturdy for what it's made of but no way you wld you but a heavy rig and monitor in the middle of it.

I have the 150x75 cm Linnmon with a single Alex drawer as the base on one side and Two
Aldis legs on the other. I don't keep the my computer case on top since I have a 43" Monitor and an Ike Alex Addo-On Unit that takes most of the deskpace.

Last edited:
Back