Computer table ideas

Do you guys mean Ikea stuff is meant to be used short term and then thrown away after say a couple of years?

Fredde looks pretty decent for 17k. Quality dunno...

Do you guys mean Ikea stuff is meant to be used short term and then thrown away after say a couple of years?

Fredde looks pretty decent for 17k. Quality dunno...
Having seen it personally and most of it being a metal frame, Fredde is built to last IMHO.
The reason why it usually retails for 20k.

This is the first time I'm seeing a discount on Fredde, from Ikea India.
you could easily copy th ikea tables they have provided measurements. Problem with ikea is we are indians ,hame janmo janmo ka saathi chahiye not some 2 year flicks ,ikea tables are particle board/mdf they wont last long , pickup the design get good marine plywood and get good laminate of choice and build it it will be great

there are many furniture guys who would take the design and material of choice and build them for you at there workshop ,no need to bring them in to your house and pay those per day hefty prices
Well, that's the problem with most of the so-called Indian interior designers, they simply think that whatever they see online can be copied using plywood/solid wood and keep advocating the same.

Ikea budget tables are modelled for a specific reason, keep it simple/low cost, build a system where you can choose from an assortment of options and build your own table of choice.
Later, upgrade individual components if needed. I don't have to go change the entire table. This is the target market for Ikea.

There are solid wood models as well in Ikea, but these don't have customisation options much.
They do cater for both ends of the spectrum.
Also, the whole ethos of Ikea is sustainable furniture which wouldn't really gel well with our Indian mindset, where we want our furniture to outlive us at a fraction of cost.

Just wanted to post an update. The lockdown and curfew made it almost impossible to get what I want like materials and labor costs but I was able to place an order last week and got it some days ago.
The original plan was to make the table out of both solid wood for the frames and plywood for the surface with some customization. The total costs for that one table came to 15k. They cited several reasons which I won't get into. Then I thought of using plywood for everything. The cost was still extremely high and some carpenters passed and others quoted very high charges.
So I finally went for a metal frame. 1" square iron metal for all the frames. I ordered two table frames: one 1'x3' and the other 3'x4' both with an equal height of 2.5'. The former should've been 1'x4' but I miscalculated. I want to place them to make it an "L" shape. The way my room was constructed was also not ideal. To give you an idea, small doors, even smaller passageway so I cannot take even 3-face wardrobe/almirah. I'm using 2-face almirah (so I need one more almirah and other shelves).
Anyway if the table had been a single table of a bigger size it would've never fit into my room so I went for two smaller ones instead. I also cannot take the table inside in a pre-fixed/assembled condition so the choice to go for metal frame and surface separately. I paid 2.2k for the frames but as luck would have it the welder misunderstood my order and did 1.6'x3.4' for the larger one. Upto 2" off each side is acceptable for adjusting and aligning the frames but the dimension of the frames cannot be the same as the surface and so the frame should always be smaller by a few inches. But because the measurement was way off the mark by about a whole 1' ft he said I can use the current frame till the current lockdown gets less severe and he will make another one to replace it. This is going to take much longer than I thought.
Anyway for now I've assembled by PC and using my old table. Will upload an image later.

PS: I think that the high cost for materials like plywood and iron is due to distance from other producing cities and towns and not to forget the market for hard wood is controlled by some individuals with a not so good background. I confirmed this personally last month when I went out to procure the wood.
<break>

About Ikea products I like how they look and how clean they are but I don't think they are intended for me. I watched a video in which someone broke an Ikea PC table and found that they are made of not just mdf/ply but cardboard boxes! That's right. The area which have the screws are made of MDF (?) and other areas are made of cardboard boxes in honeycomb mesh design. I honestly didn't know it before lol. I thought they would use plywood/mdf.
Now I know why are much cheaper when compared to real wood.
About Teak 2-3 years ago when I was working on a custom case I bought a 3' high and 1" thick teak wooden plank for 1500rs. I don't know what teak it was. It was pretty good. I was told that it's the standard wood here used in furnitures.

Last edited:
Just wanted to post an update. The lockdown and curfew made it almost impossible to get what I want like materials and labor costs but I was able to place an order last week and got it some days ago.
The original plan was to make the table out of both solid wood for the frames and plywood for the surface with some customization. The total costs for that one table came to 15k. They cited several reasons which I won't get into. Then I thought of using plywood for everything. The cost was still extremely high and some carpenters passed and others quoted very high charges.
So I finally went for a metal frame. 1" square iron metal for all the frames. I ordered two table frames: one 1'x3' and the other 3'x4' both with an equal height of 2.5'. The former should've been 1'x4' but I miscalculated. I want to place them to make it an "L" shape. The way my room was constructed was also not ideal. To give you an idea, small doors, even smaller passageway so I cannot take even 3-face wardrobe/almirah. I'm using 2-face almirah (so I need one more almirah and other shelves).
Anyway if the table had been a single table of a bigger size it would've never fit into my room so I went for two smaller ones instead. I also cannot take the table inside in a pre-fixed/assembled condition so the choice to go for metal frame and surface separately. I paid 2.2k for the frames but as luck would have it the welder misunderstood my order and did 1.6'x3.4' for the larger one. Upto 2" off each side is acceptable for adjusting and aligning the frames but the dimension of the frames cannot be the same as the surface and so the frame should always be smaller by a few inches. But because the measurement was way off the mark by about a whole 1' ft he said I can use the current frame till the current lockdown gets less severe and he will make another one to replace it. This is going to take much longer than I thought.
Anyway for now I've assembled by PC and using my old table. Will upload an image later.

PS: I think that the high cost for materials like plywood and iron is due to distance from other producing cities and towns and not to forget the market for hard wood is controlled by some individuals with a not so good background. I confirmed this personally last month when I went out to procure the wood.
<break>

About Ikea products I like how they look and how clean they are but I don't think they are intended for me. I watched a video in which someone broke an Ikea PC table and found that they are made of not just mdf/ply but cardboard boxes! That's right. The area which have the screws are made of MDF (?) and other areas are made of cardboard boxes in honeycomb mesh design. I honestly didn't know it before lol. I thought they would use plywood/mdf.
Now I know why are much cheaper when compared to real wood.
About Teak 2-3 years ago when I was working on a custom case I bought a 3' high and 1" thick teak wooden plank for 1500rs. I don't know what teak it was. It was pretty good. I was told that it's the standard wood here used in furnitures.

Ikea table tops are made of different material and they are transparent in what is used for what. For e.g. Gerton is solid wood hence the price. And unless the stuff you place on it weighs a shitload and is not properly supported you don't need to worry too much about it unless you intend on jumping on top of it.

@iPwnz So finally how did your computer table-making journey end? Can we see any pics of the finished product? I have been planning to build a custom or semi-custom MDF computer table within 6-7k but can't seem to find anyone to do it. Also, does Ikea send someone to assemble any furniture that you buy from them?

Last edited:
@iPwnz So finally how did your computer table-making journey end? Can we see any pics of the finished product? I have been planning to build a custom or semi-custom MDF computer table within 6-7k but can't seem to find anyone to do it. Also, does Ikea send someone to assemble any furniture that you buy from them?
Ready-made ones costs 3-4k. Made of those MDF/Bhutan board. I tried to order a custom one but local carpenter quoted 15k for a simple design which was too high for me.
So I requested another furniture maker to make me the frames out of 1" square iron bar. I put in an order for two for "L" shape. I paid 1300-1700 for each. All I needed was to buy a plywood and cut it to size but some IRL issues kept me out of it. It's the most cost-effective and durable way to make a table. If you know how to weld metal and have a welding machine then you can do it yourself and save money.

Possible to share pics?
Sorry, not at home anymore. And my old phone which had the pics died. But I can give the specs. One table frame dimension was 3'*4' and the other one 1'*3'. I wanted to join them together to make an "L" shape. "|" being the 3'*4' and "_" being the 1'*3'. It's not just a very simple design and cost effective but also very strong since it's iron bar welded together. It's also very light and mobile. I was able to carry both on my scooter. You just need to take out the ply on the surface if you do have it. You can also modify the design.

Thanks, I am too lazy and guess challenged too to build it on my own. However, I think I like this table from Ikea but not the price they have quoted. Wonder if someone can build it for me locally. I very much doubt the skills of carpenters in the Delhi NCR area. Have been disappointed in the past. Shifting to Bangalore so will probably try to find a carpenter there.

Thanks, I am too lazy and guess challenged too to build it on my own. However, I think I like this table from Ikea but not the price they have quoted. Wonder if someone can build it for me locally. I very much doubt the skills of carpenters in the Delhi NCR area. Have been disappointed in the past. Shifting to Bangalore so will probably try to find a carpenter there.
The design which I showed the carpenter looks a bit like this but again more simple to make it easier and I thought that maybe they will help cut costs but it didn't lol.
If you are going to move then wait for it. Delhi carpenters in popular areas are skilled, the problem is they are just lazy. They want to finish an order asap and then do the next one. So they lack that proper final touch. I'm sure they can build it if you can find the proper materials.

Any idea where to get these sort of adjustable table legs if there isn't an Ikea nearby?

Any idea where to get these sort of adjustable table legs if there isn't an Ikea nearby?
I heard these olov legs are a bit wobbly for many users...check them out in person if possible..

You can try an Ikea sit-stand underframe and cover it with a custom tabletop locally. This is a good balance between looks, ergonomic and economical in my opinion.

After getting scammed for 40k on a kickstarter desk, I found an Ikea Skarsta on one visit in their returns section. It was a pain to disassemble and bring home, but was dirt cheap.

Here is my open source project (WIP) regarding converting a manual crank desk to a motorized programmable one that can prompt me to sit-stand based on my google calendar or a timer.

Last edited:
Back