Core 2 duo is in da house

Allendale = 2 MB L2 Cache

Conroe = 4 MB L2 Cache

It's like Venice vs. San Diego. Except the Core 2 Duo architecture is much more dependant on the amount of L2 cache present compared to the A64 architecture.

techboy , poor kid , why dont you wait for Mohanty to post ? I think he can tell us about the gaming performances he is getting on his system

dont spam like a shito

Overall, the board is good...but I think the BIOS is very buggy....

Sometimes it won't load into windows at 370 MHz FSB, and at other times, It will happily prime all day at 400 MHz FSB....

Also there is an issue with the RAM once you exceed a certain FSB...you have to run your RAM slower than what it can normally do else it won't get into windows....

The cooling for the board is actually extremely good apart from the crap thermal interface. Ditch it and use some AS5 and it works like a dream. Totally passive and remains below 45*C under load.

I think ASUS needs to make the BIOS more mature, and this board will be a winner.

And Harshal bhai, it doesn't reboot randomly but when you restart from the shut down menu, from the BIOS or simply press the reset button, rather than restarting normally it'll power off completely and then turn back on after 1-3 seconds. Annoying, but isn't a real issue and is normal with these boards.

As for 3D Benchmarks, i can't really provide a fair comparison right now. I used to get 11k in 3DM05 with my opteron 165 @ 2.9 GHz and my X1800XT @ 640/850, but that was under water cooling and now i'm on stock cooling with my card.

And as far as how I got the CPU....well I can't comment on that. Just put it this way: I have contacts ;) . My chip isn't a retail version, but an Engineering sample with a downwards unlocked multiplier.

400 x 7 fully stable and still 0.1v below default vCore:

I need to get it under water ASAP, but i still think I'll run out of FSB on the MoBo before i reach the limit of this chip.

The MoBo is good, but it needs a more mature BIOS. The BIOSed currently available are too flaky and unstable.

I think the only other MoBo worth trying out is the Intel Bad Axe rev 304.

The DFi infinity 975X looks good on paper, but in practice, It's very hard to get over 370 MHz FSB.

I'm looking forward to the DFi LanParty RD600 in August....I have big expectations from it. However, by then I think ASUS will have made a better BIOS for this MoBo.

Since I work for maxit magazine, an ASUS PR said he'll send me a P5B Deluxe MoBo based on the 965P chipset for review purposes. If it works out, I'll let you know if the board is any good.

And for those of you who thought 2 hours of prime is not enough, here ya go:

I'm still tweaking this board right now....It may need a few hard mods later on...

Hey KITT,congrats on your Alendale.Nice clocks there.Awesome RAM,Teamgroup avlbl in UK ?

that RAM looks really neat,another Gskill in the making i hope.

Anyways do keep us informed about the results under water..

I am particularly interested in that.So it seems the Heatpipe thing is actually showing the results now.

Any idea when Abit is coming out with their boards ? i cant seem to find them on newegg.

Yeah Darky, the Team RAM is available over here.

Don't know for certain about ABit MoBos, but I'd say around the end of July.

At present, I recommend you stay away from the P5W DH Deluxe...it's really buggy...rather than the BIOS, it appears that there are some problems in certain boards. I can't bench at anything over 400 x 7....theoretically, the chipset should be able to do >450 MHz. Some people are able to bench at 445-450 MHz, and other boards wont even do 400 MHz. I need to speak to ASUS engineers regarding this...

Anyway, this is my X1800XT @ 762/891 MHz. Everything is stock cooled:

For reference, at 2.52 GHz and the GPU @ stock, I got 9600 odd.

12k should be easily doable on water.

Man you are really scaring me now.Recently my 3200CFX went bad,i dont want to sit watching at another dud mobo in my lap....lol.

I think i will keep a close watch on the developments.

Frankly speaking the only thing that is compelling me to go for Asus board is that, Asus has an excellent record when it comes to Intel boards.And the fact that Asus has official service centres here,so even if something goes wrong, i can atleast get it repaired on paid basis.

Anyways lets see what happens.Also KITT, could please let me know,what are the temps like ? on Air ?

At stock, OC'ed,idle,full load...etc..

Please tell us how about how much performance improvement did you witness at stock specs, performance improvement in real world games and real gameplay at stock cpu and gpu speed.

techboy said:
Please tell us how about how much performance improvement did you witness at stock specs, performance improvement in real world games and real gameplay at stock cpu and gpu speed.
I can't tell if there is any real world performance increase..It's maybe 5-10 FPS, but then again, my previous rig at stock was more than capable of handling any game at 1280 x 1024 with 4 x aa and 8 x af, so I can't really tell for sure.

And as far as the mobos being buggy, it doesnt seem like a bug, more of a serious problem with certain mobos...not all P5W's are built the same it seems. 400 MHz FSB may not seem shabby, but you should expect 450 on average...It's definitely not the chip holding me back.

And undervolted by 0.1v, Idle temps are 37, and load is around 50 with a stock P4 540j heatsink at 1600 RPM (2700 max). The heatsink is really bad...when i start y PC, idle temps are actually about 26*C and then it slowly creeps up to 36. I blame the heatsink...doesn't seem it is very efficient. These temps are at a romm temperature of ~20*C according to a calibrated digital thermometer. So with a good heatsink, idle temps should be very close to ambient. I reckon with a big typhoon, load temps would be below 35*C.

Hey KITT,is there a possibility that since the CPU is ES and the BIOS is still in its infancy,these issues are cropping up ? also i think the restart issue is related to the 975 chipset,am i right ?

Back