Core 2 duo is in da house

Darklord said:
Hey KITT,is there a possibility that since the CPU is ES and the BIOS is still in its infancy,these issues are cropping up ? also i think the restart issue is related to the 975 chipset,am i right ?
It's not the chip....being an ES will have no affect on the mobo making it play up.....people with pre release steping 5 chips also have the issues. some people who have more than 1 mobo...well they say one of them can't break 400 MHz FSB, wheras the other will prime at 450 MHz, with the same CPU, ram and everything else. It's definitely an issue with the mobo, and i don't see a BIOS update being able to sort it out :(

Users report the restart "problem" occurs on most mobos. It's not really a problem...Instead of rebooting normally (ie soft power down), it will completely power down, and then turn itself back on after 1 - 3 seconds. It doesn't randomly restart or anything :)

EDIT @ techboy: Opteron 165 @ 2.9 GHz, DFi LanParty Ultra-D, 2 x 1 GB G.Skill HZ PC4000 RAM, graphics card in sig.

IIRC he had X2 and DFI NF4 Ultra-D...donno for sure..

Hmm from what you are saying, it seems that if it is a hardware issue then may be a new revision should do the trick but then again,its not that all the boards are acting up,which is kinda confusing...

Darklord said:
Hey KITT, you were going to recieve P5B also no ? do let us know it is doing, i hope it doesnt have such issues.
ASUS said they were going to send us one, but I'm not 100% certain they will, however, it is very likely that they will end up sending one.

They actaully may have sent it already, but the head of maxit mag is on a tour of Europe right now, and has left me incharge of the site...but I have no way of knowing whether they have sent it or not :(

He will be back later this week. If they do send us one, you'll be the first to know :)

This Gigabyte Board is definately looking Solid.All those High quality Caps n all.People are clocking some insane nos. on it.The last one i saw was 524 FSB!!!!

Darklord said:
This Gigabyte Board is definately looking Solid.All those High quality Caps n all.People are clocking some insane nos. on it.The last one i saw was 524 FSB!!!!

:O :O - Where is this world getting to ??

Darklord said:

500fsb WHERE???? Overclockers are finding it difficult to take the Gigabyte beyond 400fsb.

And good review, Ashish!

^^ Darky... The DS3, doesnt go above 400 FSB with the E6600 and above.. As in it sucks with the 4mb L2 Cache Conroes.. 2mb L2 Cache conroes, shine on it.

That problem seems to be a bios limitation or something i guess. I can see no other reason why the board wont go above 400 with 4 MB L2 cpu's :S Probably a bios update or a new revision of the board may fix this. Once fixed this board looks to be the best vfm enthusiast board for core 2 duo imo.

Edit: Darky moving to Core 2 as well? Thats a piece of news.

Gigabyte P965 DS3 arrived at the maxitmag office today :) They said they'll send it to me tomorrow along with a 2 GB Mushkin PC2 8000 kit to review.

If all goes well, i may have them on Thursday :)

Awesome, looking forward to a review of that board... btw, how is the P5W Ashish? I'm planning to pick one up in a week and wanted to make sure there are no real issues with it.

Well Rio there are some issues with the P5W-DH.SOme boards are clocking like mad and some others arent doing quite well.Thats what i heard...

Thanks man, read about the host of issues at XS - nothing make sense because only a few boards are experiencing issues... really weird! :S Looks like the board has issues with any divider other than 4:3 but this didn't seem to help Ashish.

For now, fingers crossed hoping I get a good board :/

Back