Crysis SP Demo Released

evox said:
apparently, this game only rapes your system when played in DX10 mode.

In DX9 mode, the performance is 2x better. with 169 drivers (which caused a bucketload of trouble and I just managed to get this game to run in DX9) the performance is around 35fps at High with no AA or AF. so people with 8600/7800 shouldn't give up hope. ofcourse your performance will also depend on other components of your system, but atleast this shows the game scales back decently. please post your respective benchmarks. nothing better than comparing a wide-variety of graphic cards :) there is a significant amount of difference in DX10 vs DX9 (will post some IQ later) but you can't hit two birds with one stone, right? ;)

i just tried it on both xp & vista x64. vista x64 was hardly playable @ everything maxxed out i.e very high.

on xp x64 it worked great. very well on my system. i dint expect it to run nicely on 1680 x 1050 res. but it running perfect on xp max settings i.e high. dont have fraps, but fps seems to be around 25- 45. very playable, nothing to complain about.

oh & did i say it looks goddamn brilliant. the time change from night to sunrise was amazing. cant wait for the full release

am on 2gb ram at. the other 2gb is gone for replacement.

cpu is @ 3.51ghz.

2900 pro @ 790 / 970.

e6600@2.4ghz
8800gts 640mb
2gb ram@667mhz
xfx650iultra
320gb hdd
viewsonic va1912wb
this is my pc config will i be able to run crysis at highest of settings

Crysis Image Quality Comparison - DirectX9 vs DirectX10 -

ForceWare 169.01 BETA

16x AF CP Forced

4x AA CP Forced

High Quality CP Forced

DX9 = High Quality

DX10 = Very High Quality

- Beach Sunrise -

DX9 :

DX10:

Differences: In the DX10 picture, the HDR much more intense. furthermore, the reflections on the water are more realistic and the trees and terrain at far end have a realistic fade effect.

- Road -

DX9:

DX10:

Differences: the DX10 image is a bit sharper with added contrast. the tire marks on the dirt road are more visible thanks to the increase of depth.

- Enemy Base -

DX9:

DX10:

Differences: similar to other DX10 images, this one too has increased contrast and a color-fade sepia look present. the most notable difference here is the Occlusion Mapping on the rocks present on the side of the road. the rocks are more bumped and look much more realistic.

- Korean Soldier -

DX9:

DX10:

Differences: In the DX9 picture, the soldier's face is a bit of pink. however, in DX10, it's tan and more natural looking (Koreans are mostly tan colored) also, in the DX10 version, pores on soldier's cheek are clearly visible. incredible attention to detail but at a cost of severe performance.

Conclusion: by now, you've probably noticed that DX10 pictures are grainy. that's actually noise added by the game. as far as quality goes, Crysis looks pretty much the same on DX9 as it does on DX10. with DX10, there's certainly more bells and whistles (Artificial Noise, Intense HDR, Better Reflections, Better Bloom, Better smoke, Better occlusion mapping) but it comes at a severe performance cost. in fact, the performance cost is severe enough to make the visual differences look incremental (which they are, anyway) in the end, Crysis looks amazing regardless of what mode you run it in (DX9, DX10) the engine scales back quite nicely at medium and low settings. ofcourse that doesn't mean Crysis is a lightweight game by anymeans. it will still make all the systems bend to their knees. but for what it's worth, you can enjoy it on relatively old systems too with the details at low and/or medium.

Note: with 169.01 drivers, the AF is finally working it seems (forcing AA with 163.69 didn't do anything)

e6600@2.4ghz

8800gts 640mb

2gb ram@667mhz

xfx650iultra

320gb hdd

viewsonic va1912wb

this is my pc config will i be able to run crysis at highest of settings

Simple answer: No.

so will i miss out on all the eye candy if i sacrifice settings like aa and af
and keep those texture quality and post processing effects high @ evox

will i experience severe lag in performance if i run the game in dx10 eventhough if i disabled aa and af and keep those texture quality high
thx in adv @evox

ubergeek said:
will i experience severe lag in performance if i run the game in dx10 eventhough if i disabled aa and af and keep those texture quality high

thx in adv @evox

DX10 kills 8800Ultra SLI systems. It will make your system crawl as well. you can play the game at High (DX9) with AA Disabled and AF not more than 8x and you should get playable frame rates (25fps+) there are a ton of options present in the graphics menu, so you can easily tweak and find the one most suitable for you. you can try turning off Post Processing. It would take out major eye candy but it will provide a great performance boost.

WOOW THAT IS SOME GAME i THINK CRYSIS WILL SET THE BAR FOR ALL UPCOMING FUTURE FPS GAMES AND EVOX THANKS FOR UR PROMPT REPLIES SO IWILL BE ABLE TO PLAY THE GAME AT CUSTOM SETTINGS

@uber - you can easily play the game maxxed out in dx9 mode in windows xp. i have already played on my config & it worked perfect. as far as aa goes, the game really doesnt need aa. you cant notice any jaggies etc anywhere. it looks brilliant without it. so you can easily pass on it as i doubt you will notice a huge diff when its enabled.
@evox - did you try dx10 mode if you keep all the settings high instead of very high is the same as dx9 then? any idea? or are the effects still there but a little less quality. cause atm dx10 on veryhigh is not playable.

@stormblast-so with my specs i can play the game without any hiccups in dx9 mode at the highest of settings except for aa the only thing iam worried about is the diiference between dx10 and dx9 is some what vast in crysis .

Best way to find out is to download the demo and see for yourself ^^^

My system is below the minimum requirement so won't even try. Am pretty happy with my OB. And I don't think it's wise to upgrade now to be able to play this game. Better wait for next generation cards.

ubergeek said:
@stormblast-so with my specs i can play the game without any hiccups in dx9 mode at the highest of settings except for aa the only thing iam worried about is the diiference between dx10 and dx9 is some what vast in crysis .

as you can see in my rig specs. it works properly without any issues or hiccups in dx9. should be similar for you.

on vista i dont think its possible to play atm with pretty much any card. its mostly some drivers issue etc which i am sure will be fixed by the time full release is out.

also i dont find the diff in dx9 & dx10 so vast. yes it looks better, but obviously not so better. if you get 35-40fps in dx9 maxxed out & it looks just as brilliant as dx10 version in which you get 10-15fps maxxed out. its pretty simple what you should play on.

Crysis Image Quality Comparison II -

DirectX9 vs DirectX10

- Beach 16x AF 4x AA - (NOTE: In LOW, AA is automatically turned off due to Shader being Low) -

DX9 LOW:

DX10 LOW:

DX9 MEDIUM:

DX10 MEDIUM:

DX9 HIGH:

DX10 HIGH:

DX10 VERY HIGH:

Benchmarks -

DX9 LOW:

Min: 57fps

Max: 95fps

Avg: 70fps

DX9 MED:

Min: 18fps

Max: 25fps

Avg: 22fps

DX9 HIGH:

Min: 27fps

Max: 29fps

Avg: 27.576fps

DX10 LOW:

Min: 0fps

Max: 86fps

Avg: 50fps

DX10 MED:

Min: 0fps

Max: 65fps

Avg: 40fps

DX10 HIGH:

Min: 22fps

Max: 24fps

Avg: 23.364fps

DX10 VERY HIGH:

Min: 15fps

Max: 16fps

Avg: 15.132fps

Conclusion: It's amazing how well the game scales; keeping everything at low (while keeping Shader at High) with 4x AA and 16x AF resulted in game giving average of 37fps while looking stunning. the good thing is, while it's resource hungry as hell on Very High, there are lots of settings to tweak around with. hence you shouldn't have problems finding a sweet spot regardless of your computer's specs.

I don't know if it is mentioned in this thread but get the BETA Nvidia 169.01 Drivers. The improvement i got was humongous. From a 25-30 fps to a 35-50 Fps is a huge leap.

The thing that matters is, these drivers helped me enjoy the Game without feeling the fact that FPS was dragging sometimes. Drivers helped alot, give it a try.

akS !â„¢

The difference in image quality between DX10 high and DX10 very high is pretty much if u see the screenshots posted above. DAMNNNNNNNNN DX10 very high quality looookssssss scaringly real man... This is one game that has taken my breath and soul away....
btw nice comparison Evox...

wow thanks again evox,stormblast now i got somewhat a clear picture on how crysis will be on my pc and evox you did a great by posting those screenshots

Look at these pics ...

Running on my pc , not playble though ... i think is how u get with very high , only i got this with just high settings ... and on XP .. and i got the sun shafts too ... the only thing i didn't get was 3D waves ... another bunch of dx10 exclusive features bites dust ..

Also , to all 8800 users ... run this with the modified cvar files under High Settings and dx9 , and get uber fps at the settings u prefer to play , compared to the same iq in dx10 ... and infact will be able to use smap set to 2048 too .. shadows just look awesome ..

Here are some more screenies to prove that the "Very high" features are working on "high" settings under XP with just a dx9.0c card ... not playable though ,, but still ..

:( .. though i don't play at these settings .. i expect a bit more ... considering that there is hardly any setting making any impact on my rig except shaders :mad: keeping shaders at medium atm , and everything else maxed ... post processing on medium coz too much blur gives me a headache .. fps is 22'ish+ .. but very playable ...as the fps doesn't drop below 20 at any given time ... except for video :( ... what a crazy engine ....

Back