OC & Modding Custom PC Builds in India

You are turning this into a laptop vs PC debate.
I have been saying it time and again that look at it from business POV. The market clearly shows that laptops sell more than desktops.
You are talking about work PC and I keep saying casual user. Where have I ever said that a PC is not good for a work environment.

For a business, one has to look at the entire market. Out of all the sales of a computer, laptops sell in substantially higher numbers and that dominance is just going to increase.
That means that the PC modding business will always be a niche and not worth investing time and money in if the margins aren't huge.

The companies who already build custom desktops and laptops mostly deal with high end rigs. Such rigs sell in a larger number in first world countries and the scope of finding buyers for such expensive rigs in India is dismal.

that pc can also be used in home a pc is a pc ........ idk but is number of people in india who can afford to buy a 40-50k pc lower than U.S keep in mind i am not taking about percentage of population i am taking about number ..... seeing so many people are caught with new currency notes i don't think so.

that pc can also be used in home a pc is pc ........ idk but is number of rich people in india (by rich i mean who can afford to buy a 40-50k pc) lower than U.S keep in mind i am taking about percentage of population i am taking about number ..... seeing so many people are caught with black money i don't think so.
You keep talking about what should happen.
If what you are saying is true,why do laptops outsell desktops.
When you are starting a business, you have to see at what the market is, and not what you would like the market to be. The sales of desktops have been decreasing year-by-year.
You keep harping about why desktops are better than laptops but never answer about the business aspects of PC modding business and how such a business will survive with no of prospective customers decreasing year after year.

When you are starting a business, you have to see at what the market is, and not what you would like the market to be. The sales of desktops have been decreasing year-by-year.
You keep harping about why desktops are better than laptops but never answer about the business aspects of PC modding business and how such a business will survive with no of prospective customers decreasing year after year.

well that maybe true although idk ...... what should happen is one should only buy laptop if u travel a lot and have to do work while travelling ....... well its about the knowledge of tech. i guess ..... but pc modding market is still niche in first world country too its not like every person is modding a pc there sportscar are also a niche market that does not mean Lamborghini goes in debt ..... once people starting to recognize and are educated about tech. there will be a market for it for sure but i am not saying that can happen ...... but in a perfect world laptops should be a niche market as they have no use other than portability.

What you have said, like what the others have said does make sense. Laptops are outselling desktops because of convenience they provide. In fact, just yesterday, one of my friends plonked 85K on a Lenovo Yoga 710. It was sleek as fornication and booted in 4 secs flat (or may be under that) and it was super fast.

Compared to how quickly it booted (i7 / 8GB / 256GB SSD), my desktop with i5/16GB/256SSD seemed positively clunky (agreed, my fastboot is not enabled), but all that is going to be used for is media consumption, and that too on a 14inch screen. I was thinking about the irony of it all!

well that maybe true although idk ...... what should happen is one should only buy laptop if u travel a lot and have to do work while travelling ....... well its about the knowledge of tech. i guess ..... but pc modding market is still niche in first world country too its not like every person is modding a pc there sportscar are also a niche market that does not mean Lamborghini goes in debt ..... once people starting to recognize and are educated about tech. there will be a market for it for sure but i am not saying that can happen ...... but in a perfect world laptops should be a niche market as they have no use other than portability.

I was I was living in such a perfect world!!

What you have said, like what the others have said does make sense. Laptops are outselling desktops because of convenience they provide. In fact, just yesterday, one of my friends plonked 85K on a Lenovo Yoga 710. It was sleek as fornication and booted in 4 secs flat (or may be under that) and it was super fast.

Compared to how quickly it booted (i7 / 8GB / 256GB SSD), my desktop with i5/16GB/256SSD seemed positively clunky (agreed, my fastboot is not enabled), but all that is going to be used for is media consumption, and that too on a 14inch screen. I was thinking about the irony of it all!

I was I was living in such a perfect world!!

u can also decrease boot times by installing OS through bios during installation ......... boot times does not depends on how fast a hardware is unless u r using a hard drive ....... infact a pc with fastest ssd possible ,4 cpu and 3 gpu's will take almost more than a minute or two to boot beacuse it's not the usual hardware or regular hardware windows is used to ..... it takes time for windows to gather info of all hardware and this makes boot times higher. :)

Last edited:
Is there a market for modded PCs? . . .I will tell you what i found by talking to some gamers.

Type 1: Kid with a rich dad, passionate about gaming, no clue about hardware . ."Let's buy alienware!!"

Type 2:Kid with not so rich dad, passionate about gaming, no clue about hardware . ."Let's buy PS4" . .

Type 3: Not so rich, no clue about hardware, wants PC . .goes to local shop and says "I want a PC that can support all games at full graphics . .i want 4K!!"

Type 4: Geek , not so rich/Rich . ." I can build PC on my own"

Type 5: Rich, some knowledge about hardware, Pc gamer, lazy or not confident to build on his own . ."Where can i get a Super awsome gaming rig built?!!"

And thats the one for you :D

Just saw this thread. There is no feasible market for a custom PC in India unless you are well known and you do it locally. Stop fooling yourselves here. For a very price conscious market like India its not possible. Do you even know how many gaming laptops (MSI/Asus/Alienware) remains unsold in India? People buy those HP, Lenovo crap just because they have good specs on paper and are affordable. They don't give a shit about the build quality or how poor the heatsinks are.
BUT! I wouldn't mind if someone offers design rendering services and laser cutting (alu sheet)/as per my order. Should be reasonable though. I've actually been looking for someone to do that for me since I cannot get my alu sheet shipped from Delhi. And I haven't found the cutting disc for my rotary tool. :(
I'm still waiting to this day so if anyone can do this please feel free to pm me! Else I'll have to go with wood!
Thanks.

Back