Daboo Ratnani in the making..

^Lol..me a n00b too..'m just starting off...:p I agree with what u said..thts why i came back without falling for the shopkeeper's praise for the Sony cams..i had read a few reviews about the H9 and the reactions were mixed..so was not sure if they were a good buy..The H9 looks gorgeous alright but lacks whr it matters the most..pic quality..so the reviews said..

I guess, i'll have to wait for him to bring the S5 IS or prolly settle with what i have right now..:ashamed:

Guys, i did a dark room test to detect hot/dead pixels...n to my dismay, there is red spot in the lower left corner of the pic..:( I ran the 'Dead Pixel test' of the pic and the software said tht they were 3 hot pixels with luminance value 62, 62 and 121..:S But no dead pixels..

Pls enlarge n take a look at these pics..

Flickr: Photos from B00G|EM@N

However when i took some pics in the morning...i didnt see any problems with the pics evn after fully zooming in windows picture and fax viewer...:S Shud i be concerned?

Edit : Flickr.com resizes the pics to 1024 res..:mad: Is thr any site whr i can upload pics at full 6 mp res?

@Ryan - wait up for a bit.. I (gently!) disagree with Anish.. I'd stick it out with the S3IS, instead of ponying up for the S5.. incremental upgrade, not worth it, IMO.

EDIT: The movie mode on the S5 is better... if movies are important.. go with the S5.

@TechHead - I know u won't back anything unless u feel that there is something really worth it.

Can u please elaborate in detail why u feel S3 is still a better deal than S5.

TechHead said:
@Ryan - wait up for a bit.. I (gently!) disagree with Anish.. I'd stick it out with the S3IS, instead of ponying up for the S5.. incremental upgrade, not worth it, IMO.

EDIT: The movie mode on the S5 is better... if movies are important.. go with the S5.

Well my point why the S5 is worth the extra 2.5k or so is :

Second gen IS, better USM, and DIGIC 3 (Not to mention a bigger LCD, brighter EVF and movie mode (as you said)) kill it for the S5.

Also service will be a LOT easier with most Canon service stores stocking S5 parts.

Moreover since his dealer is ready to exchange the cam, I don't see why he shouldn't go in for one. And do note that he doesn't plan to upgrade soon (Which is quite unlikely though :p)

Roxtin said:
Which SLR is better 40D or Rebel XT?

The 40D and Rebel XT are in completely different price brackets. I think you meant the Nikon D40. In that case, I'd pick the Rebel XT for the superior 8MP sensor and better High ISO performance :)

Private Ryan said:
So can u help me out make a decision? Is the Sony Cybershot H7/H9 a good cam?? (better or similar to the S5?? :S )

Digital Cameras Side-by-Side, 3 cameras: Digital Photography Review

H9 seems better with a 3" LCD, better focal range (31-465mm effective), HD Video Out and some more goodies, while the Canon has better AF and slightly better IQ.

Read the review, if the extras on the H9 can be used by you, get it then, great cam certainly! ;)

Keane 16 said:
I'm a n00b with cams, but the generally Sony cams are supposed to be crap for aspiring semi-pro photographers...

Not really, a lot of the Sony compacts have full manual settings, agreed that high ISO performance sucks, but the H-series are good, DPayne from this forum uses the H2 and his images are brilliant! (Check the photography thread)

@TechHead : I agree with you..i still have a week since he wont be getting the S5 any sooner..so i have some time to decide.

@Anish : The Sony H9 and H7 no doubt are loaded with goodies, but the image performance is nowhr near the canon..so the review sites say...pls check this one..

DCRP Review: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9

But most important thing right now is the Hot pixels issue...is it okay for a new cam to have a few hot pixels? Or shud i replace it?

N pls tell me some site whr i can upload the 6 mp res pics in full size with exif data so tht i can show u the hot pixels...i need some opinion on tht issue..:)

That's true, hence its advisable you stick with the S3/5. What's the exact price difference between the two.

As for the image, just add it to a zip/rar file and sendspace it.

Anish said:
The 40D and Rebel XT are in completely different price brackets. I think you meant the Nikon D40. In that case, I'd pick the Rebel XT for the superior 8MP sensor and better High ISO performance :)

I was asking about Canon 40D and Rebel XT or XTi. What I know is XT is cheaper than 40D. As I have 0 idea of using a SLR or pro cam which one should I go for. As of now I am using a Sony DSC T100 and Kodak V 803.

I've compared both the Rebel XT and the Canon EOS 40D. The latter is in a completely different league. Way way better sensor, much better viewfinder, autofocus performance is in a different league altogether. Its not even worth comparing them.

Back