Darksiders II - Discussion Thread

Shadows !!! Some of the worst shadows among recent PC games. All blocky with jagged edges. And did anyone notice the model of Death in the inventory menu? It looks like being rendered in 800x600. Real sloppy work.

Well the game has lots of bugs, what they say in the reviews - sound disappearing in between, graphical glitches. Leaves a bad taste. Combat is great but dodging is a bit bad. Its annoying specially considering you cant block. Small, small things shave points.

Sorry, couldn't help it, but :lol:

This is going to a bumpy ride with lots of ups and downs it seems.
The games visuals (or to be precise textures) may be a bit dated.But they are sharp enough.Till now i haven't encountered any sound bugs.The inventory menu really looks poor.Keyboard controls are easy and smooth.Though i havent tested with a gamepad yet.Btw the menu system is weird you first start a game then comes the load screen after that comes the main menu.
Voice acting is good with a really good background score.Story i cannot comment as i am still playing it.Yes it feels a bit repetitive too.

Prologue: Managed to wind up Prototype 2 by around 3 PM yesterday, uninstalled the title and installed Darksiders II (all thanks to the measly 60GB SSD), got our apartment's electrician to drill a hole through the common wall of the drawing room and my room so I could connect the main display (located at the drawing room) with the PC (located in my room) using an HDMI cable (the 5m cable in my stash came to the rescue here), quickly cleaned up the mess, organised the drawing room, unpacked all the equipment, dusted the rack, room and arranged/zip-tied the cables, unpacked the curtains and hanged it, swept the floor and mopped it. Almost broke the back while at it and thanks to my awesome room-mate who lent me a helping hand with most of the stuff. I was a bit skeptical about the X360 wireless receiver connected to the system receiving the signals when I am sitting in the couch in the drawing room - fortunately the reception was good and there weren't any lags or disturbances. By then it was almost 8:30 PM, we thought WTH and fired the game.

The first thing I notice in the game is the visuals - looks very good although the textures seemed to be kind of blunt. Feels a bit similar to Amalur may be. It is pretty obvious that this is a direct console port (with almost no customisation options other than the resolution and v-sync) but not system taxing however. Plays without any hiccups and the frame rates were absolutely stable throughout even during the most intense of the battle sequences. And then the RPG'ish touch to the game. Plenty of loot (weight no bar?), character customisation (WTF was that pixelated Death's model in the customisation menu?), side quests, helpful NPCs, skill upgrades, dialogue delivery options and DUNGEONS! And the combat mechanics - smooth and works as advertised! Every blow delivered to the opponent seemed to make a difference. And Death seems to better everything that War did in the first title. And finally, the soundtracks of the game - just three words. HAIL Jesper Kyd. This Danish composer somehow manages to pull off some amazing scores for the titles coming from the Hitman and Assassin's Creed series. I have complete respect for him. As a whole, my reaction to this title was OMGWTF! :D

Clocked close to 4 hours, completed the Cauldron dungeon, Death leveled up to 5 and Alya's objective was met. Paused the game and called it a day. Oh and I also managed to beat Thane after leveling up. Equipped some of the gifts and beating Thane became a lot easier. Looking forward to the evening. This is going to get interesting I swear! :D

I couldn't beat Thane at level 1. Guess I'll need to level up. :(

Yeah beating him initially is hard. In fact very hard. The moment he lands a blow on you, resets the challenge. But later on, you can take 3 blows before it resets once again. But by then you would have got better equipment and can easily beat him.

Where have you reached?

I couldn't beat Thane at level 1. Guess I'll need to level up. :(
yep. Its futile at level 1. Once I got him to last 5% of the bar and got smacked once, just once. :(
After levelling up it is walk in the park, really.
I am at the thrid dungeon, yellow skulls. Proving a bit difficult with dodging mechanic not really working for me.

Wanted to ask something - I see this blue'ish thingy like a piece of rock, like some secret but is out of reach of Death. It is located at many areas and I tried shooting using the pistol but nothing happened. What is this strange thing. I recall noticing it in the first title as well but don't remember the use of it. Anyone has the slightest clue as to what it is? :unsure:

Proving a bit difficult with dodging mechanic not really working for me.

I am not sure why dodging isn't working for you. It seems to work well for me. In fact, I was able to evade from most of the blows from the minions and the bosses thanks to the parry. Are you sure you are timing it right?

Dammit why is flipkart so late with game releases OR for that matter any physical retail edition. By the time I will start this title Gannu and Allywn saab-jee will have desiccated the title completely.

Wanted to ask something - I see this blue'ish thingy like a piece of rock, like some secret but is out of reach of Death. It is located at many areas and I tried shooting using the pistol but nothing happened. What is this strange thing. I recall noticing it in the first title as well but don't remember the use of it. Anyone has the slightest clue as to what it is? :unsure:

i think those are pathway to other areas only to be unlocked by a special weapon or power.

How many of you are playing with K/B and mouse?Some specific dodging only seems difficult like lock on and move with a kb and mouse.Otherwise its no problem.Btw they should release a high resolution texture pack like sleeping dogs.

You can collect those rocks by shooting at them after you meet a green rocky looking mech in the Fjord area. You'll find him on the right hand side near trees.

You can collect those rocks by shooting at them after you meet a green rocky looking mech in the Fjord area. You'll find him on the right hand side near trees.

Oh alright! Thanks for that (although it spoiled a bit!). :p

And what is the purpose of collecting them?

Sorry! I should have put spoiler alert.
Oh alright! Thanks for that (although it spoiled a bit!). :p

And what is the purpose of collecting them?

You can exchange the collected stones for upgrades like defense, strength etc.

I was just going through Darksiders 2 forum and found out that there is a progression block issue where you may loose your progression so better create backup of your save files.

http://community.darksiders.com/go/thread/view/138731/29315267/Possible_Progression_Blocker_Fix

I am not sure why dodging isn't working for you. It seems to work well for me. In fact, I was able to evade from most of the blows from the minions and the bosses thanks to the parry. Are you sure you are timing it right?
Maybe something wrong with the controller, had chucked it once while trying to play Outland last level :p Never used RB so extensively.
Timing is correct as I was able to almost defeat Thane on Level 1, got hit at last 5 percent.

Back