User Review Dell G15 5515 (5800H+3060) initial review

Recently bought a Dell G15 5515. Plastic chassis, 165hz 1080p screen, Ryzen 5800H and RTX3060 with a MUX switch.
It's finished in speckled grey plastic that makes it look like a very boring office laptop.
The display is decent, even good, for a budget laptop.
It comes with a Dell 240W barrel charger. USB C charging is not supported. There is no thunderbolt either, as this is the Ryzen configuration.
The chassis is solid and has no creaks, nor does it show significant flex. Hinges seem ok, not the highest quality I've used, but not the worst either.
Out of the box, the laptop comes with a very bad fan curve. Fans are programmed to stay dormant till CPU/GPU temp reaches about 70° and then they ramp up like jet turbines.
Luckily Alienware command center allows you to adjust the fan curve. Ambient temperatures are much better after adjusting the fan curve to a much more reasonable profile, as can be seen in the attached pic.
The laptop has 2 M.2 slots with support for up to 2280 drives, but you will need to separately purchase an SSD bracket if you want to use the second M.2 slot.
Dell ships the laptop with two 1RX16 8GB 3200Mhz Samsung SODIMMS which have become standard in new laptops at the moment. The included 512GB SSD was a 2230 sized OEM Kingston drive.

All in all, this is a decent laptop, and may be considered a viable alternative to the Victus or the Legion 5 if it can be had at the right price.
Let me know if any of you are considering getting this and have any queries.
PicsArt_09-10-01.48.13.jpg
PicsArt_09-10-01.49.06.jpg
PicsArt_09-10-01.49.24.jpg
PicsArt_09-10-01.49.40.jpg

Last edited:
Cost? How are the temperatures now? Are you able to max out the laptop without thermal throttling? I had to return a previous generation Ryzen laptop because it was incapable of functioning normally without thermal throttling.

Cost? How are the temperatures now? Are you able to max out the laptop without thermal throttling? I had to return a previous generation Ryzen laptop because it was incapable of functioning normally without thermal throttling.
Cost me about INR 100000 with 2 years of premium support plus.
Haven't experienced much in the way of throttling issues. Let me know if you want me to run some specific benchmark.

Back