Demon's Souls - Discussion Thread

But its not raining now :p hopefully it does from tomorrow as I'll be resuming Demon Souls this Saturday

Yeah! This heat is bumming me out. Really wish it rained soon. Anyway, if I can't find any other game to suit the mood, I'll start Dark Souls. :)

Call it a seasonal touch, but I love playing such games when it's raining outside. :p

The same goes with me my friend. :)

I attempted Heavy Rain during the 2010 monsoons. And the feeling was just amazing. I mean my room is closed from all sides and the only windows are from the kitchen and drawing room so it is generally dark. And when it rains, the pleasant breeze with the smell of the wet earth!

Same goes with the winters. Last winter I had attempted Skyrim. Started from mid-December when the winters had kicked in. It felt so awesome to play the game with the perfect atmosphere. I'd go on playing for the whole night during weekends. Sometimes a quick cup of black coffee with a smoke! Heaven!

So yeah, the feeling is mutual. ;)

Did you manage to grab the Crescent Falchion, Adjudicator's Shield & the Talisman of God in 4-1 Gannu?

Yeah all of them and the rings scattered around as well but I am not impressed with the Adjudicator's Shield and the Crescent Falchion +1. :(

Because my existing weapons supersede these in terms of attack power, durability and weight.

Hey how's 4-2? Easy? I recall you telling me about those reapers before. Probable threat?

Yeah all of them and the rings scattered around as well but I am not impressed with the Adjudicator's Shield and the Crescent Falchion +1. :(

Because my existing weapons supersede these in terms of attack power, durability and weight.

I used Adjudicator's shield mainly for regenerating my health. Didn't get a chance to upgrade it though. It doesn't shield you against fire & magic attacks, but pretty decent for all other attacks. Dark Shield is the best against magic attacks. It deflects 100% magic damage. You'll need it for 4-2, as those phantoms that the Reaper spawns have a long range magic beams. A magical shield will definitely help. Crescent Falchion will scale with your magic stat and will also regenerates your MP (very slowly). This weapon is goes well with your class.

Hey how's 4-2? Easy? I recall you telling me about those reapers before. Probable threat?

Not that hard. Just watch out for the battle near those narrow cliff areas. There is a possibility of a fatal fall. Apart from that, you can take everyone out, including the boss, who is practically blind btw. :p

Then maybe I should consider upgrading the Crescent Falchion+1. Presently using a Dragon Long Sword+3 and it slashes through the enemy like anything. Attack value IIRC is rated at 119. Let's see. :)

Will attempt 4-2 today. 2 more tomorrow and maybe 3 for the weekend.

Oh btw, on NG+, the soul drops are almost double to that of what we had in our first play-through. I got around 4.1k souls from killing the Red Eyed Knight in 1-1. Although, their attacks are much stronger too. One slash and your health is halved. ;)

Possible. I read that the game difficulty increases by almost 40%! But the later playthroughs i.e. NG++ onward it is much lesser.

Quit playing it already Allwyn. You've completed the title once. :p

:p

You can't help but re-visit those areas and see what's different from the last time you attempted it. I reckon the second play-through shouldn't be that long, since we already know the surprises of each levels. It's just the difficulty which has ramped up. Of course, I don't plan to complete the whole game again, just take a sneak peak in some areas. ;)

Defeated the Old Hero, boss of 4-2 and guess what, I did not collect his soul and do not have the archstone saved so I cannot reload from that point. What a bummer! :facepalm:

To top it all, I died 7 times in this level losing almost 100k+ souls altogether, 3 at the hands of the mother-****er Reaper (until I figured out the strategy to kill him!) and 4 because I fell down from the cliff/heights. I cannot believe I did not collect the Old Hero Demon's Soul after defeating him and instead chose to touch the fog only to know that the next boss is right there! The more you die in a level, the more the Black World Tendency it progresses into and ultimately I had to face the boss at Pure Black World Tendency! Facing the boss in BWT isn't a problem since they do not change according to the world tendency but the additional stronger foes (read Black Phantoms) are spawned and I had to face 2 HARD Golden Skeleton Black Phantoms and a Dual Katana Skeleton Black Phantom towards the last cliff, which took a whole lot of Soul Ray attacks to die. Allwyn, can you believe this man?

dinjo: A piece of advice when facing the 3 reapers of this level - 4-2. Keep a bow and some arrows ready. These guys are immune to magic (so soul ray and soul arrow does minimal damage although it still does) but are weak to ranged attack from the arrows.

After dying thrice, I decided to carry a Compound Long Bow +5 and some Light Arrows to do some experimenting. Graverobber Blige is right at the entrance of the level so I bought some Light Arrows from him for 50 souls each and targeted the Reaper. Died in 4 arrows flat! Four - that's right and it was THAT simple. And I did not realise this all this while. :(

The second reaper stands at the edge of the cliff and I just slash him at the sight. He falls down instantly and dies. The third one however stands at a corner and cannot be spotted directly but can be sniped from the platform above. The boss battle was extremely simple but I missed to touch the archstone and collect his soul. But ultimately, this level netted me 136k+ souls (thanks to those Black Phantoms). Today, I'll have to redo this level from scratch, collect the Old Hero's soul and defeat the Storm King.

This level is pretty good for farming I reckon. The Reaper at the start gives 6k+ souls within almost a minute. Use Evacuate and spawn back at the Nexus.

Defeated the Old Hero, boss of 4-2 and guess what, I did not collect his soul and do not have the archstone saved so I cannot reload from that point. What a bummer! :facepalm:

Oh crap! That's probably the worst part of this game. If you fail to collect an item or are unable to carry an item due to insufficient capacity in your inventory, it's gone. I lost the Dark Armour dropped by Garl Vinland in world 5-3. I didn't realise the whole set needed a lot of inventory space. I had busted my ass to complete that world just to get the Dark Shield, which I wanted to block the Shadowluker's beams (4-2) near the stairs. Finally, I had to drop a lot of my weapons to reduce the burden and was able to collect the Dark Shield & Dark Silver Leggings, but had to leave the Dark Armour. :(

To top it all, I died 7 times in this level losing almost 100k+ souls altogether, 3 at the hands of the mother-****er Reaper (until I figured out the strategy to kill him!) and 4 because I fell down from the cliff/heights. I cannot believe I did not collect the Old Hero Demon's Soul after defeating him and instead chose to touch the fog only to know that the next boss is right there! The more you die in a level, the more the Black World Tendency it progresses into and ultimately I had to face the boss at Pure Black World Tendency! Facing the boss in BWT isn't a problem since they do not change according to the world tendency but the additional stronger foes (read Black Phantoms) are spawned and I had to face 2 HARD Golden Skeleton Black Phantoms and a Dual Katana Skeleton Black Phantom towards the last cliff, which took a whole lot of Soul Ray attacks to die. Allwyn, can you believe this man?

Ah! so that's how the world tendency works. I never got a chance to experience that. Like I said before, I lost a lot of souls out here too, but not to the extent of 100k. That's a huge loss. Is that an overall loss or just one-shot loss? If the latter, why didn't you use Evacuate and high tail your ass out of there? Also, are these black phantoms hard to kill?

Those narrow cliffs were so irritating. It was easy to kill those silver skeletons in the beginning, but those Golden ones needed some room. So I lured them one at a time and killed them with the Crescent Falchion. Then those Shadowlurkers and Reapers started to piss me off. I fell from the stairs inadvertently, while trying to dodge their attack. Died a few more times the same way, then decided to move away from that level and get better magic protection. Got my Dark Shield and kicked all their asses. :D

Visit 4-3 and be done with this world. It's dead easy. Just use the Stormruler sword's special attack on the Storm King and it will die in a few minutes. Don't forget to use Warding.

I didn't realise the whole set needed a lot of inventory space.

But did you not have the Ring of Herculean Strength? That raises the maximum item burden by 50pc. I always have it in my inventory.

Ethan_Hunt said:
If you fail to collect an item or are unable to carry an item due to insufficient capacity in your inventory, it's gone.

But I don't think the Old Hero's soul would be gone from the world since we need to touch the archstone or would it? :(

Ethan_Hunt said:
Is that an overall loss or just one-shot loss? If the latter, why didn't you use Evacuate and high tail your ass out of there?

Overall loss. Forgot about Evacuate amidst the heated battle. I mean I started getting frustrated each time I died. And then I thought what the heck, I've reached this far, it is just the last Reaper remaining. Fell down again.

Ethan_Hunt said:
Also, are these black phantoms hard to kill?

Yeah very hard. I had to lure them out one at a time and use Soul Ray. But I couldn't do so continuously since they'd chase you. I had the Thief's Ring equipped so lost their track and when they head back, I quickly shot a beam. Rinse and repeat. Took me at least 20 minutes for clearing out those 3 Black Phantoms. But they yield a lot of souls so it was worth the efforts.

Ethan_Hunt said:
Visit 4-3 and be done with this world. It's dead easy. Just use the Stormruler sword's special attack on the Storm King and it will die in a few minutes. Don't forget to use Warding.

Yeah will do that.

But did you not have the Ring of Herculean Strength? That raises the maximum item burden by 50pc. I always have it in my inventory.

Son of a....How could I forget about the Ring of Herculean Strength?
facepalm.gif
. It didn't even occur to me at that point. If I had known beforehand, I would have dumped all my stuff with Stockpile Thomas and would have gone in. That's the same way I missed collecting the Tower Shield dropped by the Scraping Spear Black Phantom in world 1-4. It's the second heaviest shield in the game. So a heads up for you too. The Tower shield requires around 30 inventory space and the whole Dark Armour set requires around 38 in world 5-3.

But I don't think the Old Hero's soul would be gone from the world since we need to touch the archstone or would it? :(

I can't say for sure Gannu. I never encountered this situation. Ideally, a Demon's Soul should remain, if you have defeated it.

Overall loss. Forgot about Evacuate amidst the heated battle. I mean I started getting frustrated each time I died. And then I thought what the heck, I've reached this far, it is just the last Reaper remaining. Fell down again.

Same here. Reapers were the only annoying part about this stage, alongside the narrow cliff sides. Apart from that, it was piss easy.

Yeah very hard. I had to lure them out one at a time and use Soul Ray. But I couldn't do so continuously since they'd chase you. I had the Thief's Ring equipped so lost their track and when they head back, I quickly shot a beam. Rinse and repeat. Took me at least 20 minutes for clearing out those 3 Black Phantoms. But they yield a lot of souls so it was worth the efforts.

Just curious when you say 'Black Phantoms', what colour aura do they sport? Red? If red, then I have experienced them before, in other levels.

Ethan_Hunt said:
The Tower shield requires around 30 inventory space and the whole Dark Armour set requires around 38 in world 5-3.

Already acquired it from somewhere. :p Don't remember the location exactly. Can't wield it now. I don't think I ever will. Damn thing is more heavy than a dozen lead-acid batteries! :sleep:

Ethan_Hunt said:
Just curious when you say 'Black Phantoms', what colour aura do they sport? Red? If red, then I have experienced them before, in other levels.

Yes red. You would have encountered those because some levels irrespective of the World Tendency have Black Phantoms. For instance, in 4-2 itself, Patches would have kicked you inside a pit. That pit has a Black Phantom. In 1-4 Penetrator Archstone, you would have noticed 2 BPs at the very start. These guys do not respawn once they are eliminated.

Nope but a half day. Will go home, take a short nap and resume my playthrough. Hopeful of completing World 4 today and maybe some other level. What would you suggest? 5-1?

Yep. 5-1 would be good. You're almost close to the end now. I think you can even attempt 3-2. Keep 1-4 for the end. Come to think of it, might as well give 1-4 a shot. It's not a long stage by any means, it's just killing that pesky Blue Dragon, which prolongs the level.

Back