Demon's Souls - Discussion Thread

You can equip both the rings. ;)

There are 2 ring slots and you can equip any 2 rings at any given point. And don't worry about the health being halved. The more you keep investing your soul points in Vitality, you should have enough to last you for the entire level.

But I have the fragrant ring so it generates the MP as well. And another slot for thief's ring or cling ring. I think I'll prefer the cling ring.

It is farming time today! Will slay the Red Eyed Knight. :mad:

^ What was your world tendency at end of the game ?

Pure White I suppose. That's the only part of the game, which I didn't quite understand.

What's your progress? Game put on hold?

But I have the fragrant ring so it generates the MP as well. And another slot for thief's ring or cling ring. I think I'll prefer the cling ring.

It is farming time today! Will slay the Red Eyed Knight. :mad:

For now, go with the cling ring. You'll need the extra health. Switch to thief's ring only when you're planning to go covert on a tough enemy, like the Red Eyed Knight. Did you get a shield?

Aw yeah, defeated the Tower Knight yesterday! :eek:hyeah:

I did get a hint of what this boss looked like from outside the fog and my hands were trembling to press X. The moment the fog disappeared gradually and the small cutscene showed up, I was like OMFG! To top it all, another guy spawned a bunch of crossbowmen from the top of the walkways. Tried sneaking through the gap and the TK almost killed me by throwing a spear! Managed to chew some grass and quickly sprinted to the top and cleared the CBmen. And then I could breathe a sigh of relief since there was no way the TK could get a clear shot. Recovered some more health, took cover behind a small pillar and then used the Soul Arrow to take him down. This must have been much easier than the Phalanx provided we battle the dude from high above. No idea how good melee attacks could be. Fortunately, I haven't died a single death during the boss battles but the environment, minions and other lesser ones could take me down much easily! What an irony! :p

But then, I died thrice in this level before I could reach the boss. A bunch of wolves/dogs flanked me from beneath the bridge and took me down (used the Thief's ring next time and used the Soul Arrow to take them down one by one during the next attempt), a bunch of CBmen did right before I approached the TK (again the Soul Arrow came to the rescue) and the Red Dragon breathed fire on the bridge (I should've known since she did this twice before! Sprinted like crazy the next time until I reached the end of the bridge). Need to do some soul-farmville before I approach 2-1 today. Hopefully (just hopefully) I can complete 2-1 before I crash tonight.

Did you get a shield?

Not yet. Still using that crappy stock shield. :(

I believe the REK would drop a shield provided we have a high luck? Never gave this a try but I'll take him down a couple of times today. Let us see.

PS: Allwyn, thanks for the timely help brother! :)

Pure White I suppose. That's the only part of the game, which I didn't quite understand.

What's your progress? Game put on hold?
Yes currently keeping on hold since i wanted to be focused, have a bit of cold causing me not to concentrate

Yes currently keeping on hold since i wanted to be focused, have a bit of cold causing me not to concentrate

GWS! And don't take a long time lest it should cause you to lose the mojo entirely! I've kept all the remaining titles on hold until I am done with this.

Aw yeah, defeated the Tower Knight yesterday! :eek:hyeah:

Great job man, seriously. Just a heads up, loose the dependance on Soul Arrow and concentrate on melee attacks too. The sooner you do it, the better. It will prepare you for tougher battles ahead.

Not yet. Still using that crappy stock shield. :(

I believe the REK would drop a shield provided we have a high luck? Never gave this a try but I'll take him down a couple of times today. Let us see.

Get a Heater's shield from Blacksmith Boldwin and upgrade it. Alternatively, killing the Red Eyed Knight might have a Purple Flame Shield drop. This heavy shield is very effective against fire attacks. World 2 would be full of hellish fire all around.

PS: Allwyn, thanks for the timely help brother! :)

Anytime man. Just don't give up. :gap:

Ethan_Hunt said:
Just a heads up, loose the dependance on Soul Arrow and concentrate on melee attacks too. The sooner you do it, the better. It will prepare you for tougher battles ahead.

I think I should start doing that. I am being very much dependent on the Soul Arrow. Should concentrate on improving the melee but I've no idea what is a better melee weapon. Like you suggested yesterday, I'll quickly level up my Strength stats so I can hold a spear properly.

Ethan_Hunt said:
Get a Heater's shield from Blacksmith Boldwin and upgrade it. Alternatively, killing the Red Eyed Knight might have a Purple Flame Shield drop. This heavy shield is very effective against fire attacks. World 2 would be full of hellish fire all around.

Will definitely try getting a PFS from the REK. If he doesn't do that, I'll buy a shield from Boldwin and upgrade it. Level 1-1 has become so easy as a pussy now! :D

I think I should start doing that. I am being very much dependent on the Soul Arrow. Should concentrate on improving the melee but I've no idea what is a better melee weapon. Like you suggested yesterday, I'll quickly level up my Strength stats so I can hold a spear properly.

Soul Arrow can be very addictive, but don't let it rule your entire play-through. Once you visit more areas, you'll have a diverse range of weapons. Heck, rescue Sage Freke from 3-1 and learn new spells from him. If you like Soul Arrow, Soul Ray is a more powerful version of it and covers a larger distance. This is a new spell you can learn from him, along with the others. Whenever you get a new weapon, equip and use it. You'll can see how much damage it does, ease of use, stamina consumed, equip burden etc. Some of the weapons even provide stat bonuses. Meaning, the weapon will deal additional damage if you have a high stat rating, say, a weapon like Crescent Falchion would do high magic damage, if your magic stat is high.

Will definitely try getting a PFS from the REK. If he doesn't do that, I'll buy a shield from Boldwin and upgrade it. Level 1-1 has become so easy as a pussy now! :D

PFS? REK? I'm really not good with acronyms, so help me out here. ;)

But yes, the more you play 1-1, you can just breeze through it. Heck, even the Red Eyed Knight becomes a mere pansy to your attacks and starts vigorously healing himself. :p

The Armor Spider bites the dust! Looks like the plan is to slay one boss per day. :lol:

Surprisingly I managed to slay the beast from the tunnel by simply dodging his fire and web attacks and using the Soul Arrow. Although I had a good stock of Half Moon Grass, I barely used a couple of them. So 2-1 is done. Will try to complete 2-2 tonight. I think I read somewhere that after the Flamelurker is defeated, the next boss (Dragon God?) is pretty close by and can be easily slain without heading back to the Nexus? Allwyn, how easy is this? Is it a straightforward battle or do I have to get hold of some equipment before I progress? I think, currently my soul level stands at some 26 odd and most of the primary characteristics average around 15~16 methinks. The level was fairly simple except for those 3~4 odd Fat Officials. I used to take cover behind a pillar and throw the Soul Arrow at these dudes. Works well. Also met Blacksmith Ed. When I activated the elevator, I fell down and died. I thought 'OMG do I have to start from scratch now?!' then the elevator came to my rescue fortunately!

Will do some soul farming from 1-1 today as well. I found a far more quicker way to farm close to 1000 souls - from the archstone of the Tower Knight. Turn around and there are 2 BEKs and 3 CBmen guarding the tower and 2 more to the top. It takes not more than 7 minutes (calculated and tested!) to kill all of them and head back to Nexus. Rinse, wash and repeat! Ofc the REK from 1-1 grants us more souls and Full Moon Grass but it takes a lot more time. At the early stages this seemed like an easier option to me. :)

Got hold of a Heater Shield and equipped the Winged Spear (after having upgraded the Strength ofc) prior to attempting 2-1. Oh and I exchanged the Jade Hair Ornament with Stockpile Thomas and he gave me a ring in return (Ring of Herculean Strength) that grants us an additional 50 percent equipment weight carry bonus. Pretty good I say.

The game has become a lot more engrossing now. Slept at 2:30 yesterday and I really wish I could take off for a couple of days. :(

Ethan_Hunt said:
Heck, rescue Sage Freke from 3-1 and learn new spells from him.

You so badly want me to attempt 3-1 now don't you! :p

Ethan_Hunt said:
PFS? REK? I'm really not good with acronyms, so help me out here. ;)

PFS - Purple Flame Shield
REK - Red Eye Knight
BEK - Blue Eye Knight
HMG - Half Moon Grass
CMG - Crescent Moon Grass
LMG - Late Moon Grass
FMG - Full Moon Grass

:bleh:

The Armor Spider bites the dust! Looks like the plan is to slay one boss per day. :lol:

So that's 3 bosses down now. ;)

I think I read somewhere that after the Flamelurker is defeated, the next boss (Dragon God?) is pretty close by and can be easily slain without heading back to the Nexus? Allwyn, how easy is this? Is it a straightforward battle or do I have to get hold of some equipment before I progress?

Do not start the boss battle with flamelurker just yet. Get yourself some good protection like Purple Flame Shield or a spells like Water Veil or Warding. You need to be able to dodge the Flamelurker's attacks at all times. He becomes highly aggressive once his health is down to more than 75 percent. This area (2-2) should net you a good amount of souls and you should also meet another NPC; Patches. Dragon God is right after you defeat the Flamelurker. It's 2-3 and you don't have to fight any other enemies. His size is highly intimidating, but the way to kill him is ridiculously easy, but you have to be careful not to get caught in any of his attacks. This isn't a head on fight, but more of a series of events that you have to complete to kill the boss. Save that for later.

You so badly want me to attempt 3-1 now don't you! :p

Trust me, you'd want to rescue Sage Freke. You'll need those spells, especially warding. Since you have killed the Tower Knight, you should be able to exchange his soul to gain the Warding spell for free. :p

Trust me, you'd want to rescue Sage Freke. You'll need those spells, especially warding. Since you have killed the Tower Knight, you should be able to exchange his soul to gain the Warding spell for free. :p

So what do you suggest? Begin 3-1? Once I rescue Sage Freke, I'll get hold of the Warding spell and then proceed with 2-2, Flamelurker and subsequently Dragon God? This Dragon God is the same creature shown in the starting video init?

The boss for 3-1 - Fool's Idol. How hard is it? Any precautionary measures to be observed?

Btw how did you slay the Red Dragon? I so frikking want to kill this mind**** since it is guarding few items. I believe there is a shield to be obtained from one of the loots there. :(

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

I am going to start it soon on maxed difficulty.

There is no difficulty setting in the game.

:lol:

So Winged Spear is what i need to get first right ?

Winged Spear is a fairly good weapon to take the enemies from a slightly far distance. This weapon will also ensure that they do not close in on you. Upgradeable for 520 souls and the stones, I found this to be a batter replacement for the Scimitar.

So what do you suggest? Begin 3-1? Once I rescue Sage Freke, I'll get hold of the Warding spell and then proceed with 2-2, Flamelurker and subsequently Dragon God? This Dragon God is the same creature shown in the starting video init?

The boss for 3-1 - Fool's Idol. How hard is it? Any precautionary measures to be observed?

Btw how did you slay the Red Dragon? I so frikking want to kill this mind**** since it is guarding few items. I believe there is a shield to be obtained from one of the loots there. :(

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

There is no difficulty setting in the game.

:lol:

wow that means the difficulty is already on the higher side.

Yep. Move onto 3-1, then 4-1. Flamelurker can wait. If you want to get a feel of the difficulty, you can try it once. There is a short cut in that level, which we drop you very close to it's location. It's slightly risky though, as it involves falling off certain path, which isn't well lit. One wrong move and you could fall to your death. The other way is the longer path and that would mean going through a horde of those bear bugs, flying bugs, worms etc. Don't fret if you end up loosing your souls in this level. You can farm World 4 extensively later on. See if you can acquire a Talisman of God, which helps you cast a miracle. There is a very useful miracle called 'Evacuate'. Casting this would allow the user to be teleported back to Nexus from any location, even during a boss fight. The best part is, you retain all your souls. This is highly useful when farming souls. Downside, it costs 20k souls. :(

Dead easy. Just stand behind the pillars and spam Soul Arrows to her.

You'll need a good bow and around 150 odd Heavy Arrows. Keep sniping it from one of the towers and you can kill it, without even getting hit once. :p

The next boss - Fool's Idol (3-1) is down. The one-boss-per-day strategy seems to be working after all. :p

But make no mistake, this level was scary as hell with the super dark atmosphere clubbed with the haunting ambient noises. The Mind Flayer was one completely ****ed up enemy AI and took down my character once using the paralysis followed by a tentacle stab. Lost close to 6k souls thanks to the useless move of mine. Lost souls may be recovered during farming any previously completed areas so that was fine and I consoled myself that way. I wasn't expecting a Black Phantom to show up before the boss battle of 3-1 and it caught me almost unaware! Fortunately I had plenty of grass so regained some lost health. I wasn't willing to take a risk with the soul form and consumed a Stone of the Ephemeral Eyes.

Also rescued Sage Freke from one of the cells and exchanged the Doll's Demon Soul for the Soul Ray and the Iron Demon's Soul for the spell - Warding. Warding occupies 2 magic slots so had to upgrade my Magic stats. Upgrading now costs close to 7k souls per attribute which increases significantly towards the later part. Using the Soul Ray with the Ring of Magical Sharpness equipped will boost the magic attack.

I happened to check the World Tendency option from the menu casually and turns out, the Stonefang Tunnel shows up as a whitish-orange tinge! Wikidot says that a white tendency makes the level easier with more health drops and fewer stone drops. Not sure if that's a good thing. I'd know today. Will attempt 2-2 today evening.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

There is a very useful miracle called 'Evacuate'. Casting this would allow the user to be teleported back to Nexus from any location, even during a boss fight. The best part is, you retain all your souls. This is highly useful when farming souls. Downside, it costs 20k souls. :(

Yeah I saw that with Freke's apprentince IINM. 20k souls damn. Will buy it sometime later.

You'll need a good bow and around 150 odd Heavy Arrows. Keep sniping it from one of the towers and you can kill it, without even getting hit once. :p

I think I might be able to take her down using the Soul Ray? The ray is much faster than the arrow. Will check tonight if possible. :p

But make no mistake, this level was scary as hell with the super dark atmosphere clubbed with the haunting ambient noises. The Mind Flayer was one completely ****ed up enemy AI and took down my character once using the paralysis followed by a tentacle stab. Lost close to 6k souls thanks to the useless move of mine. Lost souls may be recovered during farming any previously completed areas so that was fine and I consoled myself that way. I wasn't expecting a Black Phantom to show up before the boss battle of 3-1 and it caught me almost unaware! Fortunately I had plenty of grass so regained some lost health. I wasn't willing to take a risk with the soul form and consumed a Stone of the Ephemeral Eyes.

This level scared the bejeezus out of me. Once Royal Mistress's singing was very haunting. Then there's Lord Rydell, who constantly keeps yelling to save him. Amazing level.

I think I might be able to take her down using the Soul Ray? The ray is much faster than the arrow. Will check tonight if possible. :p

Nope. Unless, you have a good stock of old/fresh spice to refresh your MP, you won't be able to take the Red Dragon down with just Soul Ray. Yes, the Soul Ray does have a long range and more damage, but it also chows down a lot of MP. Get a compound long bow (4-1) and upgrade it. Stock up on the arrows and it's easy to take down the Dragon after that.

enemies tend to be easier in black tendency

Quite the opposite. Black Tendency has harder enemies, with better loot.

Back