Desktop speakers : for music, videos, youtube: are jbl 104BT good or I should look for something else

err ? 80Hz is the lowest this goes to !! i'd have not recommended any sound bar for deep anything. These things are loud but not deep.

If you're happy good.

Frequency Response
  • 80 - 20000 Hz
Hi
I think I had paid attention to your suggestions, the frequency response goes as low as 50Hz dear, please check the attached screenshot below from official site.

The bass response is good..
High and mids are also pretty nice..
I can never use above 40% volume tbh.
The dialogues while watching movies or shows are clear and loud, which i also needed.
Music also sounfs very nice with that punchy bass.
View attachment 141467

Last edited:
ok I got that off the FK site but the company does say 50Hz in their specs I think they are pushing it.

It has no sub-woofers so only uses passive radiators. To get that 50Hz you will have to place it correctly.

Closer to the wall you will get the bass, further away it will get weaker and the treble will become clearer. It needs to couple with whatever surface it is on.

Sounds good in this video but I can hear it's depending on reflections to get that punch. It's more top-heavy bass than deep bass. Compare with Z623

Can you hear the bass at lower volumes? <40%

Last edited:
ok I got that off the FK site but the company does say 50Hz in their specs I think they are pushing it.

It has no sub-woofers so only uses passive radiators. To get that 50Hz you will have to place it correctly.

Closer to the wall you will get the bass, further away it will get weaker and the treble will become clearer. It needs to couple with whatever surface it is on.

Sounds good in this video but I can hear it's depending on reflections to get that punch. It's more top-heavy than deep. Compare with Z623

Can you hear the bass at lower volumes? <40%

Can it delivers clean speech ? like one on one interviews / documentary etc, watched couple of Yt videos lots of boom boom, don’t want that.

Price is excellent with 100watt rms.

requirements is clean speech delivery & remote control for volume up down, plan to connect via BT mode from Android Box/ FTV Stick.

Can it delivers clean speech ? like one on one interviews / documentary etc, watched couple of Yt videos lots of boom boom, don’t want that.

requirements is clean speech delivery & remote control for volume up down, plan to connect via BT mode from Android Box/ FTV Stick.
I can say it's pretty nice as i just finished the latest episode of westworld and the conversations were great.
Forget about boom boom in review videos, it plays what you ll throw at it, you can change the audio with three EQ modes
Movie - everything maxed out
Music - a lil less boom
News - all at lower levels

Placement is imp

Just for your sake I can check,please suggest something on particular I have
Sonyliv
Dusney+
NF
FRANCODE
AMAZON PRIME

Can check

It will do voice perfectly fine. Mids & treble no problem. Those frequencies can be delivered by small drivers. Small drivers are cheap. Typically you get boomy when you push a speaker beyond what it can deliver. You really needed something more powerful but did not want to spend for it.

The issue is deep bass. When you don't have big enough drivers then you have to fake it to go lower. Depend more on reflections through placement.

And that is what soundbars do. It's a fake deep bass. It can be boomy depending on room size and placement. Not necessarily bad but it's fake.

Take any speaker you have and place it in a corner and you can hear it. But the drivers cannot deliver that.

Bigger drivers cost more to make as do the amps to drive them. Even the Chinese can't deliver that for 5k.

Is that 100W RMS ? does not say rms on the site. Just says 100W. You can boost loudness with compression. Perception of loudness changes depending on frequency as higher frequencies travel further.

My ONyx Studio is 30W on battery and 50W on the main. The difference when hearing is an increase of two more volume steps. You can hear it but it isn't much.

If you want proper deep bass look at the Logitech for wired or other options which provide a subwoofer. Not soundbars alone.

This mivi is nothing more than a louder Motion plus with a larger soundstage. Sound will be expansive.

A better perception of stereo as the drivers are further apart.

Last edited:
I can say it's pretty nice as i just finished the latest episode of westworld and the conversations were great.
Forget about boom boom in review videos, it plays what you ll throw at it, you can change the audio with three EQ modes
Movie - everything maxed out
Music - a lil less boom
News - all at lower levels

Placement is imp

Sonyliv
Dusney+
NF
FRANCODE
AMAZON PRIME

Can check

If Music mode offers lower the bass / low note then it is ideal for ‘Speech‘ too,

To my findings ;

if the Documentary Series is based on history or events in the past then one narrated voice + background music will just do fine with almost anything …but if the subject is ongoing stuff/issue/event then phone calls or recorded voice in the middle create lots of ups and downs to the sound spectrum.

One such recent watch I can remember is ‘Unnatural Selection’ on Netflix, more than 4 hours of runtime - tried to watch on Anker Soundcore BT speaker (bought from Ali X 2018-19) which completely failed, and immediately switched to IEM.

Also, I watched lots of Interviews, and most of them are zoom calls which require clean speech…And DW Documentary at YT, can’t link those because most of them are now removed as they are too political and harmful for International Stability And relationships….In this way missed a serious documentary (2 parts) about Iran, the same way missed Red Army (4 Parts).

Needless to say, I’m a headphone / IEM guy for nearly 8+ years, but this kind of lengthy hours long Docu series episodes with time bound required a little bit of ear/head relaxation….hence looking for the sound bar which got a small driver means at least a clean sound.

Don’t want to spend much on speakers.

It will do voice perfectly fine. Mids & treble no problem. Those frequencies can be delivered by small drivers. Small drivers are cheap. Typically you get boomy when you push a speaker beyond what it can deliver. You really needed something more powerful but did not want to spend for it.

The issue is deep bass. When you don't have big enough drivers then you have to fake it to go lower. Depend more on reflections through placement.

And that is what soundbars do. It's a fake deep bass. It can be boomy depending on room size and placement. Not necessarily bad but it's fake.

Take any speaker you have and place it in a corner and you can hear it. But the drivers cannot deliver that.

Bigger drivers cost more to make as do the amps to drive them. Even the Chinese can't deliver that for 5k.

Is that 100W RMS ? does not say rms on the site. Just says 100W. You can boost loudness with compression. Perception of loudness changes depending on frequency as higher frequencies travel further.

My ONyx Studio is 30W on battery and 50W on the main. The difference when hearing is an increase of two more volume steps. You can hear it but it isn't much.

If you want proper deep bass look at the Logitech for wired or other options which provide a subwoofer. Not soundbars alone.

This mivi is nothing more than a louder Motion plus

Thanks for the pointers, YES they never state 100 Watt RMS in anywhere - Great find out.

One Hindi review at the YT says,- Don’t expect details sound in low volume, you need to crank out some level to get most out of it…Several times they mention speaker placement….also Aux mode doesn’t provide distortion-free sound at 100% volume.

Looking for the sound bar which helps to fit in a compact space and the remote helps to operate from a distance. Done with computer speaker… the last one was that famous Klipsch 2.1 model (forget the name though) which end up with crack subwoofer membrane.

Yes, my thoughts were also smaller drivers do the voice fine but it may not be the case.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pointers, YES they never state 100 Watt RMS in anywhere - Great find out.

One Hindi review at the YT says,- Don’t expect details sound in low volume, you need to crank out some level to get most out of it…Several times they mention speaker placement….also Aux mode doesn’t provide distortion-free sound at 100% volume.

Looking for the sound bar which helps to fit in a compact space and the remote helps to operate from a distance. Done with computer speaker… the last one was that famous Klipsch 2.1 model (forget the name though) which end up with crack subwoofer membrane.

Yes, my thoughts were also smaller drivers do the voice fine but it may not be the case.
The size of the room makes a big difference to bass. When I listen to the onyx studio in the bedroom which is 12x10 ft there is a club-like feel because of the reflections. At 40% it sounds great.

If I move it to the living room which is 30 by 15 feet the bass becomes much less. To help I put it on the ground and under a table or near a corner to boost the bass in effect creating an enclosure. For a room that big I would really need TWO Onyx Studios to create the same feel as in the bedroom.

I was at a kid's party once and my cousin moved the mini hifi to this big meeting room in the apartment and turned up the volume. It sounded terrible, all I could hear was boom boom and to hear anything more I lowered the volume to make it more bearable. They had placed on a table some distance away from the wall. So moved it closer to the wall as there was no corner nearby. Clearly, this is pushing a small and cheap 2.1 system well beyond its limits for that size of room. Just because it says it has the watts does not mean it will sound good at that volume.

The Klipsch proaudio 2.1 is still being sold abroad and is considered better than the Logitech. Five years ago you probably could have got it in India but not today. even the Logitech i think is an older model that just retweaked a bit. This segment is very slow moving so they don't make many changes often.

If you interact with YouTubers ask them what the sweet spot of the speaker is. Ideally, you want to listen at a lower volume and hear everything. You don't want to crank the volume to 60% just to hear the bass.

This is the thing I notice with BT speakers. There are some that sound great up to say 60%. So the sweet spot is 50-60% quite narrow or it could be wider 30-60% but above 60% the bass gets thin because the speaker limits it to prevent damage to the driver. The wider the sweet spot the better though narrow is fine also so long as the bass is there below 50%.

There are other speakers that only sound good when played at 60% or more. These are party speakers. They have no bass or little or not good bass below 50%. Not good for listening only for partying.

Some models try to do both and fail at it. Avoid those.

Some things you can't tell from YT. You can only hear when it's in front of you. Whether the bass is slow or reactive. If you spend more you will get better performance. It's when you try to limit the budget that your homework goes up 10x

Last edited:
If Music mode offers lower the bass / low note then it is ideal for ‘Speech‘ too,

To my findings ;

if the Documentary Series is based on history or events in the past then one narrated voice + background music will just do fine with almost anything …but if the subject is ongoing stuff/issue/event then phone calls or recorded voice in the middle create lots of ups and downs to the sound spectrum.

One such recent watch I can remember is ‘Unnatural Selection’ on Netflix, more than 4 hours of runtime - tried to watch on Anker Soundcore BT speaker (bought from Ali X 2018-19) which completely failed, and immediately switched to IEM.

Also, I watched lots of Interviews, and most of them are zoom calls which require clean speech…And DW Documentary at YT, can’t link those because most of them are now removed as they are too political and harmful for International Stability And relationships….In this way missed a serious documentary (2 parts) about Iran, the same way missed Red Army (4 Parts).

Needless to say, I’m a headphone / IEM guy for nearly 8+ years, but this kind of lengthy hours long Docu series episodes with time bound required a little bit of ear/head relaxation….hence looking for the sound bar which got a small driver means at least a clean sound.

Don’t want to spend much on speakers.
I just switched to Netflix and watched ten minutes of unnatural selection.. The audio is crisp with all three modes but more focussed with news EQ though had to crank up the vol a bit compared to other two EQ modes.

I know very well how much blr_p likes the onyx 7 and its sound signature, if I was ready to shell that much on a battery backed speaker I would definitely have done that. But the mivi was very very strongly suggested all along by a friend, First I didn't pay any attention thinking it might just be another Chinese crap l, but when he linked a youtube video and shared his own observation as he owns one, I thought to take a demo at the place of the known to of a known to and liked the sound wrt the price and my expectations.

I would advise if you are up for it buy in sale with extended warranty,

One imp thing, if that matters for you, it doesn't play 5.1audio, no audio if you select that, you ll have to switch to normal stereo sound, but the stereo sound also is produced pretty well.
Edit ::: it does play 5.1 as i had to select PCM IN TV OUTPUT

Last edited:
I know very well how much blr_p likes the onyx 7 and its sound signature, if I was ready to shell that much on a battery backed speaker I would definitely have done that.
The Logitech will go deeper than the Onyx for less is my feeling. And onyx is not a very loud speaker either.

Just see how much air the logtech's subwoofer can displace :D

Last edited:
The Logitech will go deeper than the Onyx for less is my feeling. And onyx is not a very loud speaker either.

Just see how much air the logtech's subwoofer can displace :D
Yeah i also found out about the power of the logitech, but tbh never wanted 2.1as it would have benb far too cumbersome to place them
Owing to three speakers
Then the height of the subwoofer would have been creeping into TV screen as the cabinet below tv is just six inches below its edge so would have been a waste.

The bass response is undoubtedly awrsobe in logitech...
20220802_002429_HDR.jpg

Can check
The idea I have is to compare the frequency responses of our speakers for the same track.

To do that you need an app which measures frequency response. Then you play the track and listen for a few minutes. The phone is at the distance you will listen normally. Pause the app, take a screenshot and post it here.

The max hold should be enabled which is the red graph then to get rid of the yellow graph you press the play pause on the app quickly until the yellow disappears. Now you have a frequency response curve for the speaker. This is a useful tool to understand speakers and even sound or placement as to why its sounds good or not.

The next problem is that both speakers should play at roughly the same loudness. 40% volume for your speaker might be 60% or more for mine.

So need a second app to measure sound level. Then we agree to an SPL figure and adjust the volume on the speaker to be within the range of that sound level. 30% for you might be over 50% for me but if SPL is similar then the curves should be close to what sound each makes.

Since you have an LG G8x and I have an LG V20 there will be some agreement on the mic recording ability of the two phones.

Need to find an appropriate track to play and an SPL app. This will take some time to figure out.

What is the size of your room in feet as that will also play a role in how the bass sounds?

Last edited:
Back at a discount
Take a look at this Mivi Fort S100 with 2 in-built subwoofers, Made in India 100 W Bluetooth Soundbar on Flipkart

3999 and 10%, card discount above 5k purchase
Will this soundbar be good enough for desktop movie/gaming usage? @JMak @blr_p

Last edited:
Will this soundbar be good enough for desktop movie/gaming usage?

The answer is probably Yes, But I also watched/read lots of reviews as I am interested in this - The best way to enjoy the sound from this speaker is through digital inputs such as HDMI ARC, COAX IN, and BT Route. <- These inputs sound best.

You can also check out this buyers feedback form below:-

The common problem is HDMI port will die, BT will drop its range, and the Remote will stop working - Classic case of Mother board / Main PCB Dying slowly, On top of Zero support from the manufacturer.

^^^^----^^^^-----^^^^-----^^^^
The above is the hard truth, your unit may not fall into this and work for decades to come.

The answer is probably Yes, But I also watched/read lots of reviews as I am interested in this - The best way to enjoy the sound from this speaker is through digital inputs such as HDMI ARC, COAX IN, and BT Route.
You can also check out this buyers feedback form below:-

The common problem is HDMI port will die, BT will drop its range, and the Remote will stop working - Classic case of Mother board / Main PCB Dying slowly, On top of Zero support from the manufacturer.

^^^^----^^^^-----^^^^-----^^^^
The above is the hard truth, your unit may not fall into this and work for decades to come.
Well any device can fail tbh
On site go quoting 549 for two years extended warranty. Over and above one year from company.
I think i am gonna avail that.

I am reasonably happy with the audio output wrt my tv...

If anyone is from delhi they can come and take a demo if thinking about buying mivi

Back