Camera Digital Camera for <15,000

Kumar

Skilled
Hi,

Finally my mom agreed to go for a new digicam (my old one being a 2 megapixel Kodak cx6200.)

The max i can put in is 15000 all inclusive. So far I have narrowed down to Canon PowerShot 720 IS. Is the choise right? Also the dealer asked 1.5k for it with a pair of batteries with chargers and 2GB memory card.

thanks for posting!
Kumar

i got a canon a570is for 9.25k here in mumbai.. it came bundled with a free 2gig card from Canon (not the dealer)...

also.. i paid 1.25k extra to get myself a carry case and 4 batteries+charger+screen guard.

the cam came with 2 years of canon india warranty. just posting all this to give u a rough idea on the pricing.

well u can also get a sony H50 for 16000(costs 19900 in showroom)its a 9MP camera,15x optical zoom.with the sony u can use the optical zoom while taking videos unlike the panasonic which doesn't alow u to zoom in videos.the sony also has night shot capability and a tilt out lcd.

now the panasonic has a better lens and can take wider and closer shots then the sony,the disadvantage of the panasonic is that it cannot zoom in video mode and also takes video in quicktime format.it has a noiser sensor and slighty worse image processor,the good thing is that it can take photos in RAW.

so decide which best suits u.

people what is your opinion on Olympus SPZ560.... i am also planning for a camera, but budget would be app 18k....i have also hrd about panasonic...kinda in a confusion....i thinkin of buying it aftr say 4 months

Namic said:
people what is your opinion on Olympus SPZ560.... i am also planning for a camera, but budget would be app 18k....i have also hrd about panasonic...kinda in a confusion....i thinkin of buying it aftr say 4 months

well by 4months time u will see a new camera from canon S?IS features are unknown but expect a higher resolution sensor,may be a bit more zoom,and the possibilty of HD video recording.

also expect new cameras from panasonic.

adder said:
well u can also get a sony H50 for 16000(costs 19900 in showroom)its a 9MP camera,15x optical zoom.with the sony u can use the optical zoom while taking videos unlike the panasonic which doesn't alow u to zoom in videos.the sony also has night shot capability and a tilt out lcd.

Eh what on earth is a "night shot" :rofl:.

now the panasonic has a better lens and can take wider and closer shots then the sony,the disadvantage of the panasonic is that it cannot zoom in video mode and also takes video in quicktime format.it has a noiser sensor and slighty worse image processor,the good thing is that it can take photos in RAW.

so decide which best suits u.

the image processor is meaningless as it can shoot in raw. One can do all the image processing in PS or any other image editor. In a camera, finally the lens is all that matters and the Leica on the panny is a gazillion times better than the slow 2.8-4.8 lenses on the others.

Udit said:
No Udit, dont recommend the H3. Then make tat H2 if it has to be a Sony.

Remember ur comments wen I'd bought one??? :p

I guess the S3 IS wud be far more better wen compared to it and more or less retails @ a same price.

Thanks Stalker, Udit, chaos, Adder, Gannu!

I want to source it locally.

But the S3IS is not available anywhere here.

Whats the price of the S5IS?

Chaos said:
Eh what on earth is a "night shot" :rofl:.

the image processor is meaningless as it can shoot in raw. One can do all the image processing in PS or any other image editor. In a camera, finally the lens is all that matters and the Leica on the panny is a gazillion times better than the slow 2.8-4.8 lenses on the others.

dpreview describes sony NIGHTSHOT "NightShot. This allows you to photograph in total darkness using infrared illumination"

DCRESOURCE describes nightshot "When you activate it, the camera starts blasting infrared light on your subject. It also removes the IR filter that is normally in front of the CCD. The camera is then able to take photos or movies in total darkness, albeit with a greenish cast"

well not all people are going to use raw mode and then post processing in photoshop or anyother software.:p

by the way i love this smiley its funny :p :p :p and this :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: .

Kumar said:
Ok dude! Ill ask my mom.

One more question, will the warranty apply here in India if i get the S5IS through KMD?

Uh dont think so but hey, u get KMD 'TODPHOD' warranty na???

Jus need to wait for the replacement to arrive... :)

@kumar... i think hanzy had mentioned something abt paying 25usd extra for a canon cam purchased in Singapore as a result of which he got warranty even in india.. i think it was hanzy.. not exactly sure. ask him..

also.. you'll get the standard todphod warranty as gannu said. you will have to pay for shipping to and fro to the states for any issues. Canon in India has a 2 year standard warranty and they fix any issues in 2 working days flat. thats been my experience with them, though i have to say that you can get a cam for significantly less if ur getting it from the states.

Back