Camera Digital Camera for <15,000

One more question:

I plan to use CHDK firmware on whatever camera im going to get (so the cam must be supported by CHDK). How does a CHDKed 720IS compare to a stock S5IS?

I'd recommend the FZ8 or even the FZ18 here just to confuse you. :D

But seriously, Chaos is right:

The FZ8 has a great sharp, fast lens and the FZ18 has amazing coverage starting at 28mm wide which is a BOON to have in everyday circumstances.

Yes, it may be a bit noisy and all that but ALL of these cameras are a compromise in delivering such great versatility in so small a package.

The Panasonic cameras have my vote here, especially the FZ18. If you see the dpreview reviews of the FZ18 and the S5 - they initially recommend the S5 above all other cameras (though the camera itself doesn't earn a highly recommended tag) and THEN they later say that the FZ18 is the best superzoom out there. :)

FZ18, ftw. Or the FZ8 if you're budget conscious.
Payne

PS: Keep in mind "the compromises" line. I'm serious, all of these cameras are good at ISO 100-200 and at around 5-6MP at best. They are not great at pixel-peeping at 100%, but they are a serious photographic tool which will challenge your skills and make GREAT web photographs and decent large prints.

How about Panasonic TZ5 ? Samples look really good!

Kumar, hope u don't mind me hijacking ur thread a bit :) If you do, ill make another thread :)

@ guys

Among Canon S5 and Panny FZ18, what would you suggest?

Thing is, the panny has a Lithium ion battery pack whereas there S5 uses AA which of course is better if you're gonna be stay in a jungle for a few days with no electricity. One can always find some cheapo AA.

Also, the Panny has mono audio compared to stereo on the canon (lol not tat video is a priority but still...)

Dont think there are any other differences apart from that..(right?)

^ cool :)

Chaos said:
^^The FZ8 has a better lens than the FZ18. The latter goes wider though.

Yeah read about that.. And what are your opinions on these compared to the Canons?

The fz18/s5 is can be got for ~$300 and the fz8 for ~$230. Need to make a decision soon.

Also, views on the battery thing? any idea how long does the battery of the fz18/8 last on full charge and what the charge time would be?

*ahem*

You can make HDRs with ANY camera - just bracket and shoot. :)

The FZ8/FZ18 have RAW as well >> Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Review: 5. Timings & Sizes: Digital Photography Review. SO, what you do get is:

FZ8: Sharpest lens in the category, smaller/lighter body, Li-ion batteries (which I feel are still a plus), 60 second longest exposure (as compared to 15" on the Canon, and a great for experimental nightshots) and RAW.
FZ18: True wide-angle 28mm lens, smaller/lighter body, Li-ion batteries, 60-sec exposure and RAW.

Digital Cameras Side-by-Side, 3 cameras: Digital Photography Review

Go figure. :)
Payne

Faster recycle when taking flash-shots.
Faster recharging.
Easy to maintain - just like a cellphone. You charge your phone everyday right? :)
Don't lose battery life when sitting around.

PLUS, for the Canon, you have to spend EXTRA to buy rechargeable NiMH batteries (atleast 8 if you want a replacement set ready) + a charger. Please budget for that too. :)

Payne

Yeah its around 1k or so more.. Hmm. Pretty confusing stuff. Specially when all the GOOD samples out there exist mainly for the S5. I mean, the FZ18 looks good on paper, but where are allll the samples!

They are all there boy. Go over to dpreview's Panasonic forums. Very nice place with some great shooters, very much unlike the rest of their forums. :D

Plus, Canon being market leader and very popular here in India, you'll tend to find more of those shots.

In any case, it's not a "risky" decision. :) The FZ18/FZ8 are well lauded for their photographic abilities.

To be fair to the Canon, here are it's advantages: Stereo mode in Video (though the FZ have higher resolution), Great hi-res flip-and-twist LCD screen. :)

Payne

d_payne said:
Plus, Canon being market leader and very popular here in India, you'll tend to find more of those shots.

Exactly my point!

And yeah i have been on the dpreview forums for many months now. Some very talented people there alright! :D

Theres a good deal on the Silver one atm. But hmm silver.. Anyway, lets see.

Thanks for the help. :)

Haven't used the FZ18 so won't comment but I'd pick the FZ8 over the S5 any day of the week. The lens on the FZ8 is head and shoulders above the lens on the S5. The sensor on the FZ8 has slightly higher noise specs but then again both would be unusable beyond ISO 400. About the video specs, frankly I'd not care as if you want good video, a cheap camcorder is the best solution.

Forgot to mention... the FZ8 is f/3.3 at the long end while the canon is f/4.8. Thats quite a huge difference right there.

well its nearly a year since panasonic launched a ultra zoom camera so expect a new camera very soon .i hope they get a replacement for the FZ50 with a bigger sized sensor(not mp).

Having bought the FZ8 hardly 10 days ago, I must say that it is an excellent choice, like payne has been repeatedly saying.. One of the reasons I chose FZ8 over S5 is that the battery is Li ion in the FZ8. Having had the Canon A75 previously, I know how much PITA it is to carry around 4 additional batteries always. The battery in the FZ8 lasts for approx 400 odd shots, and that too with frequent reviewing and manual adjustments.
Picture quality is good, though it does tend to produce noise, but my online research before purchase showed that picture noise was a common occurrence in all ultrazooms. I don't remember where, but some site concluded that the Sony had max picture noise. Cam is lightweight and it has sufficient features to keep you indulged for a long time.. Go for it..! Costed me 13.1K along with 2GB card, at Alfa..

Regarding the batteries, I came to know that the flash recycle time is slower on the AA batteries than with the proprietary Li-Ion batteries. Does the power rating of the Ni-Mh cells effect the recycle time? I mean, do 2700mAh cells provide shorter cycle times than say, 2100mAh cells?

Back