Camera Digital Camera for <15,000

Kumar said:
Regarding the batteries, I came to know that the flash recycle time is slower on the AA batteries than with the proprietary Li-Ion batteries.

:eek:hyeah: You don't say? I've been cryin myself hoarse about this. :eek:hyeah:

Anyway, no it doesn't really matter whether it's 2700mAH or 2100mAH. I use both 2700mAH Sony batteries and 2500mAH Sanyo Eneloops in my H2. The flash recycle time is damn good when the batteries are around 70-100% but below that it's slow and irritating to say the least. Especially under 50% battery power.

The recycle time increases with decrease in battery power left. So it doesn't really matter what power of batts you're using, the Li-ion will always feel light years ahead.

Payne

PS: If you like the Canon S5 so much, you should prolly go ahead with it. :) I just put forward why the FZ18/FZ8 are so much better in my perspective.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is when you get your camera in your hands and starting clicking photographs.

I think im going for the 720IS mainly because,

a. My mom is going to use it when I am not around so need something thats not intimidating
b. I want to learn as i go along and somehow have a feeling that the S5/FZ18/Fz8 will be an overkill at this point.
c. Finally, I generally be travelling a lot, so the convineance of using duracells when the regular rechargeables die is quiet helpful.

Also, the photo shop guy quoted 12.5k for the 720IS. Is it a good price? Also, is it Ok to buy from ebay for ~8.8k?

^ Its a very good camera (lthe 720p video aint that great) but not available here iirc. Not officially at least cuz i visited the Panasonic Shoppe just today. Found the FZ18 but not the Tz5. Tz3 was there though.

This is a good buy in this range if you dont mind the lack of manual controls and if you want something small specifically. Else the FZ8 can be bought for ~$230. FZ18/S5 for ~$300

this would be my first digicam, i dont know what i will do with manual controls and all, i was looking for 3 things:

1. good off the camera pics with good optical zoom

2. compact and easy to carry in my pocket

3. good video capabilities

i think this ones does all that,but i am not confident this is the best buy for this range and type :(

@mutant

Go over to the dpreview Panasonic discussion forum and have a read. Many people there have bought the TZ5 and posted their views about it + samples. That'll help you get a better idea.

There is also the Canon SX100 in that range (or cheaper?). Udit has it so he can help you out regarding your doubts. But i hear the video quality isn't too great.

IMO, don't think too much about the TZ5. Just get it! :)

Kumar said:
Ok guys, with the help of your inputs I bought the 720IS yesterday. Ill post some pics later.

Nice choice! Congrats :)

I will *hopefully* get my FZ18 this weekend :D

actually get the tz24... you'll loose 720p HD recording options but still have 480p. ret of the featuyres are the same. The video recording in 24/25 are in quicktime mjpeg which take up lots of space unline mp4/divx... so not really worth it. did i mention you can zoom in video mode in tz4/tz5 :p

240 in newegg btw

@mutant,

Ank1t said:
^ Its a very good camera (lthe 720p video aint that great) but not available here iirc. Not officially at least cuz i visited the Panasonic Shoppe just today. Found the FZ18 but not the Tz5. Tz3 was there though.

No TZ5 here yet :/

The thing Panasonic has to do is improve the sensor.The optics are ideal.

Makes me think of fuji,almost opposite,good sensor,awful optics.

I hope they fix s100fs soon enough.Now wheres the FZ50 successor.

mutant said:
is cannon Canon PowerShot SX100 IS better than the tz4/tz5 ?

Thats a debatable topic. IMO, if you need manual controls, get the SX100 else the TZ5 is a no brainer. Plus its slightly smaller and looks better too :D

Back