Disappointing SBI Internet Net Banking

Go to your branch and reset the profile password ...that is the best way mate ..
this is so absurd... in this age, when internet is available on every damn device, you expect people to visit physical places (bank branches) to get something which is not at all associated with anything physical (virtual money)? how hard is for SBI to mail the codes to customers' address on file? this is so lame.

i am using citibank for the last 14.5 years and in this period i had to visit the branch only ONCE! and that was for submitting my aadhar card details. for some reason, citibank wants to see the card in person. anyways, the point i want to highlight is that it's not necessary to visit the branch for every little thing.

i just wanted to get a cheap savings account because citibank is going to ask me to increase my MAB very soon. but i think, keeping extra money in private banks and enjoying 100% reliability is far better than Rs 5K MAB sarkari bank accounts with 0% dependability.

What more do you expect from a bank which has zero balance facility, and is a sarkari bank? This is very normal.

I have had much, much more frustrations than you did, hoot, but I was always peaceful. Fortunately, my branch (in Mumbai) has good staff, who're good in attitude, but bad in knowledge it seems. Recently I transferred my account to a newly opened branch which is nearer to me.

Mondays are hectic days for SBI. I hope your problem resolves on that day.

Keep SBI as a secondary / backup account only. Use ICICI for online/net banking. Never had problems even from U.S. websites, where SBI or other Indian bank cards never work.

BTW, you STILL have a maestro card?? I had two ATM?debit cards and both stopped functioning suddenly, a few months ago. On visiting the branch, the manager said, I'll have to get a new card, so I applied for a new one (got a chip-embedded card).

So, I'm wondering how you were able to use your card a few days ago. The card problem you're getting is probably since they stopped/blocked the maestro cards. But, my other card stopped working too. I didn't mind as I got the chip card free for the first year.

BTW, if they tell you to come on Tuesday, don't hoot all night through. :p

Get an ICICI account active within a week, with an ATM card and use that for netbanking/online transactions.

What more do you expect from a bank which has zero balance facility, and is a sarkari bank? This is very normal.
all the sarkari banks provide "premium" banking as well. these accounts need min of 1, 2 or 10 lacs as monthly average. but even then, they provide the same level of service as a 5K MAB account. what i expect from any bank is:
- that their password kits work on the very first attempt
- that there are no dead or wrong links on their websites

my dad's SBI and bank of maharashtra passwords never work on the first attempt. i've been assisting my dad in this matter for the last 3 years. last year, i found "add beneficiary" link on SBI portal going to hindustan times! and these days, he is not able to add any beneficiary at all. and i have never faced any issue in any of my private bank accounts.

mobile banking password, internet banking password and ATM PINs for my 17 year old canara bank account have never worked. those canara bank buggers used to provide me passwords that their tech guys jotted down in a register.

and i don't think this is normal. something is missing... probably their brains.

SBI puts extra layer of security in debit cards by removing VBV/MSSecCode. Now all online purchases must be done using sms otp. An otp which comes in time only once every 10 times. Also SBI has decided that all of India is using wireless mobile internet. Hence if you are ever in a place where you don't have cell reception, or you have lost your phone, or you simple don't have the phone with you, you are not allowed to do online transactions.

snHp46B.jpg

What made me angry was, it's not a social networking website, it's a Bank's website and that too of the biggest bank in india,and their website should work at least, it doesn't have to be good, but it should do what it's designed for, if it's banking related problems, I would have posted in another forum, but it was a website so thought it was appropriate that I write about it here

I admit I may have overreacted, but all my life I never had this kind of problem with "ANY" website,any at all. This is coupled with worry because money is concerned here

BTW now I understand I'm not alone, and add beneficiary link going to Hindustan times is completely unacceptable, and even worse dangerous than my problems

And again passwords not working at 1st attempt falls in the same league

And for what it's worth I don't think it's normal at all because corruption, laziness, incompetence is normal,And it is expected even in humans... INB facilities are supposed to be free with these faults, or have they devloped their own mind and controlled by Skynet now?

Really?? Using sbi banking online for more than 4 years for each anf evry transaction.. And it never fail to me.. Not a single time whether it is ading beneficiaries or paying bills.. May be you are doing wrong mate...

I was charged 25rs as penalty due to 2.5rs less when did neft :( and that's first time ..and it was schedule transaction so was actually don't know how much balance left in account :(

Really?? Using sbi banking online for more than 4 years for each anf evry transaction.. And it never fail to me.. Not a single time whether it is ading beneficiaries or paying bills.. May be you are doing wrong mate...
Nah man, 2 weeks ago I thought the same, that I did something wrong somehow, but not anymore

UPDATE 3 :
They have issued me a new kit, tried the new kit within the branch itself (for the benefit of branch personnel) tried again with the password provided in the kit.and was told that my username is locked for today because of 3 repeated failures,

I asked them since they reset my password, system should cancel my lockout status, they said they aren't sure, never encountered such situations before (which I seriously doubt), but it's better if I wait before messing with it again,

They told me to contact my sis since she's supposed to be more aware and efficient at net banking stuff [emoji20]

Contacted sis about the issue, she told me it's possible to cancel the account lockout issue, they (local branch guys) just don't know how to do it, she said she'll do it once she get time

Last edited:
^^ yes, everything is possible. due to staff crunch at one of my client's offices in the US, i offered to help them for couple of days. i worked with the backend team of one of the major banks in the US/Canada. what i found that password issues take half a second to resolve.

UPDATE 4 :

Sis managed to cancel the account lockout situation,i tried to login with the password provided in the kit

After successful login, the first page that was opened was profile password reset (finally... Or so I thought)

I changed the profile password successfully and moved on to change the login password and again

BOOM...

"old password is invalid"

I tried entering all the passwords I remember I used for login including the password provided by kit, but can't change it

Now it doesn't even make me angry, I burst out laughing after 2nd attempt, knowing what 3rd attempt could bring, but tried anyway knowing sis could take care the situation if that happens again, strangely it didn't happen and neither did it let me change the password

So I told sis again what is happening (and she believed me this time without fuss) she asked me to tell her all the passwords so she could tinker with it, I hesitated than smiled and told her everything, let's what happens

Meanwhile a trainee there who was not there on Saturday came and seemed very interested in the problem, he was very helpful and he also suspected my ATM card might have to do something with the issue, I had researched ATM cards yesterday and discovered there's a Sbi INTOUCH tap n go contact less chip based NFC card, (which would work with PayPal) and can I get it, again he politely said he was unaware of that card (at least he was aware of PayPal) and told me to wait while he look for it in his own computer, he couldn't find it with the name of intouch, but after googling it (yes to my surprise he was not afraid to do it in front of me) he noticed a small VESA PayWave written on the card and found it in his card list written under this name , while he wasn't sure if the branch is eligible to get me this card he said he had a hunch this could help with my problem for future, and is a good idea to get this card anyway

UPDATE 5 :

Sis gave me a call, said every issue is resolved,[emoji4] told me to change my login password and I tried and VOILA this time it worked .I asked her what was the reason she said she haven't got a clue ,asked how she resolved it and she was reluctant,maybe later she'll tell me

[emoji2] [emoji2]

Looks like OP had a long list of problems to deal with.

Personlly, SBI Internet Banking for me has been touchwood. Plus my home branch has been working better since few months which makes it even easy while collecting DD's from the Bank.

My experience:
Seeing this thread reminded me that I had a dormant SBI account that needed to be reactivated, after a personal visit at home branch. This account was over 10 years old, and hadn't been used for over 3 years. I had the internet banking id, but no password. I no longer had the ATM card.
This particular branch that I'm holding the account in (Pondicherry, main branch) had been very efficient and smooth over 4 years ago when I had last visited. I had my apprehensions, but had no other option, so visited the branch on Wednesday at around 10.45 am. To my delight, the bank was even more efficient at handling customers, even though it is the busiest bank in the city. I had to go to a "services" counter, wherein a young lady listened to my queries, and gave me a few forms to fill. Once that was done, I was given a password for INB immediately and was told it would be activated in less than 24 hrs. ATM card would be despatched in less than 10 days. Of course, the account was reactivated instantly. All this was over in less than 30 mins. :)
Password works fine now. I forgot to ask for a profile password reset though (the lady could have reminded me, but I'm not complaining). Should pay a visit to the branch sometime next week for the same, as well as for the ATM pin which I have to collect personally once the card is in my hand.

Overall, a very pleasant experience.

^^ i don't understand why sarkari banks make you visit branch for such issues? anything related to online banking should be dealt online. it defeats the purpose of online banking: "banking while you are away from bank."

what would you do if you lost your password travelling abroad? :p

on the one hand govt boasts of several paper-less initiatives and on the other hand, asks online banking (paperless banking) customers to fill up forms for every little thing.

i don't understand why sarkari banks make you visit branch for such issues?
Nothing much can be done about that. :( It is annoying and cumbersome to be required to fill forms for every little thing, and then on top of that, to be required to be present in person.

Back