DIY Tools

Nice thread!

Is there a single tool which can be used to cut wood, tiles, alluminium sheets and other flat surfaces, mdf n all, I was planning to buy cheapest bosch marble cutting machine from amazon link below

Bosch Professional GDC 120 https://amzn.eu/d/1kwCTrm

But then in reviews I read it can't be used for anything other than tiles or marble, but ive seen carpenters use this machines for cutting plywood, so I am confused. Buying separate machines for different materials is just not feasible for me as I am going to use it occasionally for small projects or home repair.
I bought a tile cutter around 5yrs back and wanted to use it for cutting wood (you need to use compatible blade) but its not easy because of high RPM so asked a carpenter to build a small platform from plywood and fix it to the machine then its much easier and safe to operate. When you need to cut marble or iron just remove plywood BUT be really careful as these machine run on high speed will give strong kick-back that can cut anything in contact (your fingers), so its recommended to buy angle grinder for such tasks.
I bought a voltage regulator that will be used for decreasing the speed hence making it easier to operate (Yet to assemble)

I bought a tile cutter around 5yrs back and wanted to use it for cutting wood (you need to use compatible blade) but its not easy because of high RPM so asked a carpenter to build a small platform from plywood and fix it to the machine then its much easier and safe to operate. When you need to cut marble or iron just remove plywood BUT be really careful as these machine run on high speed will give strong kick-back that can cut anything in contact (your fingers), so its recommended to buy angle grinder for such tasks.
I bought a voltage regulator that will be used for decreasing the speed hence making it easier to operate (Yet to assemble)
Thanks for the reply. Will see if any carpenter can help me with this, also can you share link or product page for same or similar voltage regulator so I know what I have to look for.

I bought https://www.amazon.in/50-220V-Electric-Regulator-Temperature-Controller/dp/B07GXG82HC and plan to use in this way
81qi3LU23UL.jpg

Is there a single tool which can be used to cut wood, tiles, alluminium sheets and other flat surfaces, mdf n all, I was planning to buy cheapest bosch marble cutting machine

If you want to do precision work then buy a circular saw. It runs at around 5000 RPM which prevents scorching the wood. Marble cutter typically runs at 13000 RPM and has a provision for water cooling. The latter uses smaller blades which will limit the thickness of wood you want to work upon. With suitable blades for plastics and metals, a circular saw can be used on other materials. I don't know if they sell circular saws with a riving knife in India in 2023, but this contraption is helpful in preventing kickbacks. Marble cutter won't have this safety feature.

All-in-one power tools such as Dremel Multi-Tool are quite costly and they are intended for small/thin materials. Working on large projects like cabinets etc will take forever on a multitool. Buy it only if you want to make tiny stuff. With right attachments, they can work on anything under the sun.

Indian carpenters do jugaadu work. Don't get inspiration from them. They ought to be using professional tools and safety equipment, as their livelihood depends on them but they don't.

Is there a single tool which can be used to cut wood, tiles, alluminium sheets and other flat surfaces, mdf n all, I was planning to buy cheapest bosch marble cutting machine from amazon link below

Bosch Professional GDC 120 https://amzn.eu/d/1kwCTrm

But then in reviews I read it can't be used for anything other than tiles or marble, but ive seen carpenters use this machines for cutting plywood, so I am confused. Buying separate machines for different materials is just not feasible for me as I am going to use it occasionally for small projects or home repair.
For wood working please buy a circular saw, I understand it is difficult to spend on tools but there are couple of reasons,
1. The 7"+ saw blade lets you cut think wood
2. It lets you make angular cuts
3. It can be mounted on a rail to get perfect straight cuts.
There are other advantages of circular saw and @kartikoli mentioned about the kickback issue.
No matter how slow(both in speed and in forward momentum) you run the tile cutter, the smaller blade and lack of rail support will lead to jiggered cut. If you are using the finished wood where it wont matter then maybe a tile cutter will do but if you want to make say a holder for tools/pots/etc even simply a square frame then the irregular edge will be an sore thumb :(
If you don't mind me suggesting,
1. See if you can find any woodworking shop nearby, they will have table saws and you can easily get the wood cut there to get straight edge.
2. See if you can find any tool rental shops near you, and they generally have both the tile cutter and circular saw, get then both for a days rent and experiment with it. It will give you a better idea about the tools and their uses.

Please avoid using angle grinder for any form of straight cutting work, can you do it? yes but you wont get straight cuts and any mistake on the user part can lead to bodily injury. As you are starting out now, you will make mistakes no matter how cautious you are. So its better to be safe than sorry. Also remember on youtube videos it may look easy but when you start doing it, then you will witness the difficulty firsthand, so practise with proper tools first and then you can experiment with other tools once you have some experience.

Back