DIY Tools

Quick question, how much will this kind of sheet be able to bear constant wetness of water? Not for roofing purpose but for using them on the sides as walls of a farm. How much thickness is recommended for non-roofing purpose? I was thinking of buying the cheaper one but I was told that this will be better. Its more costly that's for sure. Also I'm being recommended only TATA products, not sure if its because of their affiliation. I just wanted to get a second opinion.
Ohh ya I know those screws. I think I get it now.
Is your roofing sheet like this?
View attachment 100625

I also need some more things, an angle grinder, a drill and a set of drill bits for wood and thin metal and a router all for non-heavy usage. Also if possible an instrument which can accurately measure the pH of water (I tried a few f them which I came across locally but the value kept on fluctuating).

Why would the walls be constantly wet?
I have used normal Tata corrugated metal sheets for walls and I went with the thinnest ones at 0.25mm. You can even buy non-Tata sheets but people recommend Tata because of their QC and thickness regularity. You can always paint them for added protection as people have been for years before these pre-painted products came out.

As for angle grinder, drill, router just buy the corded ones from any of the main brands, be it, Bosch, Dewalt or Makita. And buy the HM pH meter from Amazon.

There are so many options I didn't know what to choose.
How's this angle grinder? How's the cutting disc? Btw what sort of cutting disc do I look for if I want to cut 1. Wood. 2. Metal. 3. Both?
Also what wattage of drill do you guys recommend? 10mm costs about 1600-1700. And 13mm over 2k.

How's this angle grinder? How's the cutting disc? Btw what sort of cutting disc do I look for if I want to cut 1. Wood. 2. Metal. 3. Both?
Any decent brand should be fine. For lighter-duty sheet metal cutting, you don't need anything too specific - a basic ~600W/100mm machine should do just fine. You probably do not need anything more than 750~850W, even for fairly heavy use. I recently bought a Makita 850W/125mm machine, and am quite happy with both the build quality and how it handles.

Angle grinders aren't meant to cut wood. Cutting wheels tend to bite into wood, and can get rather dangerous. Just don't even think about it.

For metal, you need abrasive cutting discs. Both 100mm and 125mm discs are fairly common and easy to procure. Big brands often officially project their grinders as only meant for use with grinding (and not cutting) wheels (possibly as a means to circumvent liability). So, you don't generally see big brand cutting discs. Any generic brand should do.

You also need to consider the spindle size - you usually have to choose between M10 and M14 sizes. This doesn't matter too much, unless you intend to use sanding/buffing attachments, etc.. M10 is much more common, but if you can get a decent M10-M14 conversion adapter, you can get away with either. Again, this is not a problem if you only use cutting and grinding discs.

Also consider the switch position and type. I've always found the toggle switches on Dewalts (located at the back end) a bit odd. Love the slide switch on the Makita (Bosch uses slide switches too, I think). I have seen people prefer the Dewalt-type switch, since they don't want their fingers too close to the spinning wheel. So this really is a personal preference.

Angle grinders can be dangerous and take a bit of practice to handle them right. Operate them carefully - always wear googles (a bare minimum safety requirement). It can feel inconvenient, but get used to always using the protection guard. Sparks can literally fly around.

Angle grinders aren't meant to cut wood. Cutting wheels tend to bite into wood, and can get rather dangerous. Just don't even think about it.
I did use my angle grinder to cut into plywood. It kinda worked but the whole room was instantly filled with burning smoke and it made the job very uncomfortable. Will not recommend

I did use my angle grinder to cut into plywood. It kinda worked but the whole room was instantly filled with burning smoke and it made the job very uncomfortable. Will not recommend
Please don't try it again. People have lost both limb and life using an angle grinder on wood. The main difference between and angle grinder and a a circular saw meant for wood is the RPM and the blade size/type. Circular saw RPM will always be between 2500-3500 whereas an angle grinder runs between 10-12k rpm and if it binds with the wood at that speed, it can cause grave kickback.

There are so many options I didn't know what to choose.
LOL sorry guys I forgot to link the product haha
"BLACK+DECKER G650 Angle Grinder With STANLEY STA4510 100x4x16mm Metal Grinding Wheel"

I've used angle grinders (though not mine) and jig saws. I got curious about cutting wood because I saw some videos in which people use angle grinders to cut wood. I've personally never tried any. I also have safety glasses (3M ones).
I actually wanted to buy a Bosch Scroll Saw which was available for some 7-8k but I can't find it anymore. I do need something to smoothly cut wood. My hands are not so stable when using jigsaw so I thought scroll saw would be better.
What good decent and affordable circular saw is there for wood?

Last edited:
LOL sorry guys I forgot to link the product haha
"BLACK+DECKER G650 Angle Grinder With STANLEY STA4510 100x4x16mm Metal Grinding Wheel"

I've used angle grinders (though not mine) and jig saws. I got curious about cutting wood because I saw some videos in which people use angle grinders to cut wood. I've personally never tried any. I also have safety glasses (3M ones).
I actually wanted to buy a Bosch Scroll Saw which was available for some 7-8k but I can't find it anymore. I do need something to smoothly cut wood. My hands are not so stable when using jigsaw so I thought scroll saw would be better.
What good decent and affordable circular saw is there for wood?
If you look at any every day carpenter they use a marble cutter, its looks like a circular saw but it spins at 11000rpm, I have used this method several times they work, but cutting wood perfectly straight is tricky, since the a dedicated circular saw will have a wide base plate which prevents you from moving in lateral direction, in a marble cutter there is no such base plate.
But apparently they do sell kits which converts the marble cutter to circular saw type base plate. its only available for cheap brand called electrix or something, their base plate didn't fit my Bosch. A circular saw also has a guard which closes after you finish the cut.

I was searching for circular saw with dust extraction port, which they don't sell in India. Since I rarely work on wood since I hate the wood chip/dust, I didn't want to buy one without a dust extraction, so got one from US.

If you look at any every day carpenter they use a marble cutter, its looks like a circular saw but it spins at 11000rpm, I have used this method several times they work, but cutting wood perfectly straight is tricky,
Is it good enough to cut huge blocks of wood or say flat wood for framing? If you were wondering I used to use a normal handsaw but it takes a long time. So I just want something which helps me do that faster without breaking the bank. I plan to either borrow or buy a used one locally. But angle grinder and drill will be new.
Another tool which I'm looking to buy is welding machine but once again I don't know anything about it. Just that I've seen people work with them. The welding machine will be for moderate home use. Not like those heavy iron and steel workshops. So what watt should I go for?

Last edited:
Is it good enough to cut huge blocks of wood or say flat wood for framing? If you were wondering I used to use a normal handsaw but it takes a long time. So I just want something which helps me do that faster without breaking the bank. I plan to either borrow or buy a used one locally. But angle grinder and drill will be new.
Another tool which I'm looking to buy is welding machine but once again I don't know anything about it. Just that I've seen people work with them. The welding machine will be for moderate home use. Not like those heavy iron and steel workshops.
Plywood is tricky to get perfect cuts, I did work around it by being careful and using other straight plywood as guide, but one small error will make a big error.
For cutting wood blocks like 2"x4" no issues. Only when cutting plywood,MDF etc. When I was making a battery box, for the frame I used hand saw because I wanted a 2mm accuracy.
Some carpenters have even made a wide base stand using a 6mm plywood/MDF and they cut as good as circular saw, minus the safety stuff of the circular saw.

If its just to cut some one time use, just rent the saw. When I was making the battery box, a carpenter asked 200 bucks to cut the 8x4 feet marine plywood evenly into 4 pieces, while I cut the remaining 2 sides of a left over plywood myself with a marble cutter, for 40 inch I cut mm straight, I paused for a few second at the 40inch mark and resumed again but the rest 8 inch was off by 3mm basically the width of the blade. Why did I pause because I couldn't see the line I had drawn with all the saw dust vs the blade. Where as dedicated circular saw will have mark on the base to show where the blade is.

Welding, there are so many cheap chinese ones these days, but you have to get a DC machine. I have a Esab MMA./scratch start(stick) DC inverter welding machine paid about 25k or so in 2011. While my welding skills are piss poor, a welder used my machine to run for a week of work for me and even in the summer heat direct sunlight it held up quite well, I off course on my part used a small table top 8inch fan, to cool it.

If you want cleanest welds, a TIG welder, with a welding Gas port will do really nice job( American choppers OCC use that), TIG can also weld aluminum.

Then there is the MIG weld, which is the easiest novice friendly machine, it uses a small wire and as you pull the trigger it feeds the welding wire, they sell mig machines with a external or separate wire feeding machine, which makes the cost very expensive. Some high end ones come with built in wire feeder. But they can also be used like regular MMA/scratch start without the wire feeder.

Last edited:
This is a good entry level circular saw.

But just owning the right device is not enough. You need enough training and experience so that you don't end up getting injured. I would advice getting the bigger wood blocks cut to size at the local saw mill instead. Even abroad, circular saws are mostly used to cut sheet products like plywood and an actual table saw is used for proper wood.

A scroll saw won't be able to handle bigger pieces of wood. To finely cut bigger pieces in a straight line, a band saw is generally used. Scroll saw is mostly used for ornamental work.

For welding machine, a 200A stick welding machine is good enough for home/farm use.
I have a similar model from the same company as this one -

If you intend to work with plywood or MDF, you can possibly get a lot done with a decent circular saw along with a straight edge and clamps, to use as a guide. In the past, I have been able to get fairly straight cuts even with a jigsaw using a guide (any straight/factory edge would do). Just takes a bit of practice and patience.

To cut lumber with decent precision, you may need a compound/mitre saw. Especially if you need angled cuts. Good ones are quite expensive, though. If you don't necessarily need a power tool here, you can get by with a regular hand saw. I seldom need such cuts and use a hand saw when I do. Again, with practice you can achieve decent precision.

Will any do? Even the B&D 650W? I'm tempted to order the Bosch just because.. well its a Bosch.
ag models Screenshot.png

Will any do? Even the B&D 650W? I'm tempted to order the Bosch just because.. well its a Bosch.
You can't go wrong with any of those three, Bosch typically has better plastics then black and decker tools and Dewalt china made ones. US made dewalts for US market have some impressive plastics. Bosch has better support in India.

Guys where can I get the Dremel rotary tool online? I can't find any. Does anyone have any which they are looking to sell?

Guys where can I get the Dremel rotary tool online? I can't find any. Does anyone have any which they are looking to sell?
If you mean the Dremel branded tool . Bosch offline stores will have them on order, I guess online stores are out of stock. I got a cordless one 12v Dremel 3 months back from Amazon US shipped to India. Got it in a weeks time. Wasn't much more expensive then rahuls quote.

Was fixing my jeep at my friend's place. changed spark plugs, battery, oil and did a general run up after it was sitting in the garage for almost 3 years. still need to replace the radiator and some fixes to suspension. but it runs now. :)

50DD576F-CC9E-4C52-9585-6FE6B71CEA25.jpeg

In the meanwhile also purchased a welding cart for my welder. A lot more organized now. :)
0AA21097-CD00-49F4-9598-168F5B2F72F6_1_201_a.jpeg

I have couple of chinese clones, one of them is literally called "demel" lol. I had a Dremel 300 earlier and they're just as good as the original while costing 1k each with assorted bits.

Look around amazon, you can get the clones for 2k or so

If you mean the Dremel branded tool . Bosch offline stores will have them on order, I guess online stores are out of stock. I got a cordless one 12v Dremel 3 months back from Amazon US shipped to India. Got it in a weeks time. Wasn't much more expensive then rahuls quote.
I can't use Amazon US. No local Bosch either.
I need the corded one.
What do you do about the voltage difference btw?
I have couple of chinese clones, one of them is literally called "demel" lol. I had a Dremel 300 earlier and they're just as good as the original while costing 1k each with assorted bits.

Look around amazon, you can get the clones for 2k or so
Ya the clones are there. They even copied the color schemes so almost fooled me when I first glanced at them lol. Are they worth it?

Back