DIY Tools

What?
Did you get in touch with B&D US by mistake. For any repair you will probably have to go to a local B&D repair centre. That's what I had to do to get my Bosch sander repaired when it had shorted like yours' probably has. In your case, it might probably be just the carbon brushes needing change.
No, I got the rotary tool from the US. I contacted the B&D India also but they said they couldn't help me (might be because I didn't buy it here in India) and should get in touch with B&D US instead.
What do you suggest? And how much did it cost you to get it repaired?

No, I got the rotary tool from the US. I contacted the B&D India also but they said they couldn't help me (might be because I didn't buy it here in India) and should get in touch with B&D US instead.
What do you suggest? And how much did it cost you to get it repaired?
Oh ok. The thing is spare parts shouldn't be costly as long as the product is also sold in India. Now if it is a US specific product then you might be in trouble. Still it is very possible that the same parts are employed in similar devices sold in India. If you have an authorised service centre near you then that will be the best bet to get your tool checked at. My repair cost was around 600 bucks for a tool costing 3k.

Well, this may be almost on the edge of technology, but I did want to share one of my more 'mechanical' projects that I worked on during the lockdown. I'm pretty sure folks who are into DIY stuff will like something like this.
I'm a big fan of pegboard mounted tools rack as seen in many western countries. I tried my hand with something more basic, like a wood board that act as a shadow board for mounting tools.

View attachment 88655

It also houses my major power tools:

1. Drill (Bosch GSB 500RE)
2. Angle Grinder (Bosch GWS600)
3. Jigsaw (Black & Decker KS900EX)
4. Rotary Tool (Dremel 4000)

Here is the time lapse of building this tools station.

aMaAAAZING! you inspired me .....i gonna build myself one now!

I also have lot of tools lying around and no space to it keep it arranged unless I move to a bigger house

Recently bought dongcheng drill machine which is a copy of bosch gat 85 pe. Surprisingly, all the bosch parts are compatible with it, so repairing should not be an issue.

Already have a drill machine, however lacks speed and reverse action. Have an eye on makhita one in mind and may buy soon

Do you guys use nail guns? I once tried to nail some roofing sheet but it was harder than I thought lol. I used 22mm sheets. Good quality ones are thicker (obviously) and if the house is large it's gonna be even more difficult and time consuming. So it made me curious about those nail guns used in the US of A. I imagine good quality ones costs a lot.
Also did anyone know that mrthomas shut down? I used to visit the online store a lot. Even their domain doesn't work anymore. There's a other store macpowertools something but I couldn't find it anymore. Let me know from where you guys get your tools. Macpowertools/mrthomas had much lower pricing than Amazon FYI.

Do you guys use nail guns? I once tried to nail some roofing sheet but it was harder than I thought lol. I used 22mm sheets. Good quality ones are thicker (obviously) and if the house is large it's gonna be even more difficult and time consuming. So it made me curious about those nail guns used in the US of A. I imagine good quality ones costs a lot.
Also did anyone know that mrthomas shut down? I used to visit the online store a lot. Even their domain doesn't work anymore. There's a other store macpowertools something but I couldn't find it anymore. Let me know from where you guys get your tools. Macpowertools/mrthomas had much lower pricing than Amazon FYI.
Metal roofing sheets are supposed to be screwed down with special screws which are self drilling and come with a washer and not nailed. You can use a screw gun or an impact driver for that. Nail gun/Nails are only used when you want to attach a piece of wood to another piece of wood. In fact, even for that, I prefer using screws over nails but it involves a lot of work and the pieces of wood should be of a certain thickness at least.

We built a 3500sq ft metal roof shed 2 years ago and I just hired the labor and they used my tools, both for welding and screwing as my tools were much better than their own tools.

Metal roofing sheets are supposed to be screwed down with special screws which are self drilling and come with a washer and not nailed. You can use a screw gun or an impact driver for that. Nail gun/Nails are only used when you want to attach a piece of wood to another piece of wood. In fact, even for that, I prefer using screws over nails but it involves a lot of work and the pieces of wood should be of a certain thickness at least.

We built a 3500sq ft metal roof shed 2 years ago and I just hired the labor and they used my tools, both for welding and screwing as my tools were much better than their own tools.
As a general rule I also avoid hammering nails.

We use these. Seems to be the standard here. Is it unusual?
steel-roofing-nails-500x500.jpg

We use these. Seems to be the standard here. Is it unusual?
View attachment 100624
I haven't seen anyone use these over here in Himachal. We use roofing screws over here, whether the battens are wooden or of iron. I see the same screws being used abroad as well. Was your nail gun even able to take these nails. From what I know one has to fill cartridges in the nail gun, much like a stapler and they come as standard nails and not speciality ones like these.

As @rdst_1 points out, self-drilling screws (usually with rubber/nylon washers) are the norm here, for metal sheet roofing. At the mentioned 22mm thickness, my guess is that your roofing medium is different (non-metal) - possibly asphalt or the like. Nails are indeed used in asphalt roofing.

The nail guns are often pneumatic, and I think the non-pneumatic ones are usually a bit bulkier. And I doubt you could easily find a nailer for large-headed nails such as the one you use. Hammer might remain your best bet.

Ohh ya I know those screws. I think I get it now.
Is your roofing sheet like this?
gi-sheet-500x500.jpg

What I used was this
industrial-gi-roofing-sheets-500x500.jpg
The nail guns are often pneumatic, and I think the non-pneumatic ones are usually a bit bulkier. And I doubt you could easily find a nailer for large-headed nails such as the one you use. Hammer might remain your best bet.
I have no clue. I haven't seen any personally. So I was wondering if you guys would know or use them.

Ohh ya I know those screws. I think I get it now.
Is your roofing sheet like this?
View attachment 100625
Exactly. This is the type of sheet I (and very likely @rdst_1 too) was talking about.
What material is this made of? If it's not something too soft, you may actually use self-drilling screws (with larger washers, perhaps). These screws are quite convenient and not too expensive either and drill into both wood and tube/pipe metal.
I have no clue. I haven't seen any personally. So I was wondering if you guys would know or use them.
Unless you have an air compressor, pneumatic tools are out of the question. If you do not absolutely need to use this specific type of wide-headed nail, you may find some models online or locally. If it were thinner sheets, staple guns may have worked fine, but 22mm is probably way too much. I don't personally use a nail gun - have only seen them in action.

What material is this made of? If it's not something too soft, you may actually use self-drilling screws (with larger washers, perhaps). These screws are quite convenient and not too expensive either and drill into both wood and tube/pipe metal.
Galvanized Iron. The thickness vary. Thinner ones have little uses since they easily tear. Standard ones used are 20-22mm. I bought a dozen sheet of 6ft 22mm for 2900rs. There are also thicker ones but they cost a lot.

Galvanized Iron. The thickness vary. Thinner ones have little uses since they easily tear. Standard ones used are 20-22mm. I bought a dozen sheet of 6ft 22mm for 2900rs. There are also thicker ones but they cost a lot.
This is the same sheet that I have used for my shed. Usually, people buy at least 65mm or 50mm ones. But even I bought only 25mm thickness ones for my shed and they are doing just fine for 5 years. I did paint them though, just to be careful. The slope of the shed ensures no water stays so chances of corrosion due to standing water are next to nil.

This is the same sheet that I have used for my shed. Usually, people buy at least 65mm or 50mm ones. But even I bought only 25mm thickness ones for my shed and they are doing just fine for 5 years. I did paint them though, just to be careful. The slope of the shed ensures no water stays so chances of corrosion due to standing water are next to nil.
50mm?? What did you paint them with? I painted our old sheet but it came off easily so never bothered again lol.

View attachment 100626

For the corrugated roof they use self drilling screws, do not use nails. Nails are good for wood frame.

I am guessing the metal is 0.2mm to 0.6mm no way it will over 1mm let alone 20mm.

This classic style roof is less popular these days, typically the screw or bolts depend on the frame used, if its made of L angle, they use mostly this type, this is popular if it has to withstand high wind forces during a storm/cyclone.
roofing-hook-bolt-250x250.jpg

Self drilling screws on the other hand look like this.
roofing-sheet-screw-500x500.jpeg

50mm?? What did you paint them with? I painted our old sheet but it came off easily so never bothered again lol.
Sorry my bad. As adder pointed out it is 0.25mm. People usually like buying heavier sheets which are 0.5mm and 0.65mm. For my house, we have Tata Durashine pre painted 0.65mm sheets which come in a different profile as the blue one in the above posts.
I painted them with a primer first (red primer which supposedly helps against rust) and then with special metal roof paint from Asian Paints.

Yes I too meant to say 0. lol. We don't say the "zero point" locally since everyone understands it anyway lol.
@adder the L screw I've seen them being used in the rural areas. What screws are recommend if the frames are metal? Self drilling screws?

Yes I too meant to say 0. lol. We don't say the "zero point" locally since everyone understands it anyway lol.
@adder the L screw I've seen them being used in the rural areas. What screws are recommend if the frames are metal? Self drilling screws?
Self drilling screws cut down on labour times and is clearly faster. With the L screw you need to drill a hole using a drill bit and if the frame is a square or rectangular tube then the hole needs to come out of the other end and the L screw needs to be inserted by one person from below and the other person on the top will have to tighten the nut it and my guess is that you will chew up atleast couple of drill bits with cutting fluid like machine oil or even more without oil.

Both gets the job done but self drilling will be much faster, if you live in coastal area with occasional cyclone L screw makes sense. Otherwise you will be fine with self drilling screws.

Again depending on the area , if you want less heat inside. The sheet needs to white or light colored. With black and blue being the worst color. White or cream color is much better in reflecting the sun.
Even Red and green color are better then blue/black with respect to sun reflection.

In my village I also have Tata durashine and they are now close to 8 years old now, no sign of rust.

Last edited:
Back