DIY Tools

I have a B&D one, which was later taken over by Dremel also. I use a 110v - 220V converter with it and it works fine. Bought a heavy duty one from SP Road in Bangalore. Been a long time since I used it though. I used to do case mods, because of which I bought this. Unfortunately its been a couple of years since I even used it. May put it up for sale soon.

I can't use Amazon US. No local Bosch either.
I need the corded one.
What do you do about the voltage difference btw?

Ya the clones are there. They even copied the color schemes so almost fooled me when I first glanced at them lol. Are they worth it?
Mine is a cordless one, so I use a converter for charging. If you buy a corded one from US and if you use a converter it won't work in full speed because in india its 50hz and in US its 60hz and converters don't convert the frequency. That is the reason I bought cordless. On more then a dozen occasions while I was using the chinese clone type corded one, I wished there was a cordless one because either the lack of a AC socket or the length of the wire was not enough. Since grinding or cutting with them will produce lot of iron, wood, carbon etc particles, I usually do it outdoor, hence cordless is more easier.

I have a chinese corded one and a 12v dremel cordless. The cons of chinese one, the bit vibrates more with the chinese one, harsher sounding motor, the spindle lock which is required to change bits or remove bits is worn out after a 2 dozen uses , no replacement parts are there for this, making the tool useless. With the dremel the con is the cost, everything else is better, you do get spares, including the spindle lock. My observations are based on the flagship model, so can't comment on the lower end dremel.

Last edited:
If anyone knows where to get this Dremel Moto-Saw MS20 do let me know. What thickness of wood would it be able to cut?
From the reviews it seems 6mm is the limit and after that the blade wanders and doesn't give straight cuts.

Is there any particular brand of magnetic precision screwdrivers you guys recommend? The generic ones on Amazon are decent enough?

I have the generic small yellow one which I bought some 6-7 years ago. It does what it's supposed to decently and I'm satisfied with it.
My only problem is that it's short for some appliances. Sure there's a "connector" the metal thing which makes the screwdriver longer but "joint" part is too big. Image attached.
Screenshot_20210606-145744~2.png

you have any recommendation for a cordless drill? I’ve been looking for one which has enough juice to go through 16” or 18” gauges of sheet metal. Bought a 12V black and Decker one thinking it will be enough but sadly it can’t do the job.

@Aakash Anand what drill bit did you you? Reason being typical HSS drill bit that is available on amazon will not do the job as they are HSS in name only and the cutting edge will easily break. I would suggest Cobalt/Titanium High Speed Drill drills. They are priced higher but will chew through the metal with ease.

@Aakash Anand what drill bit did you you? Reason being typical HSS drill bit that is available on amazon will not do the job as they are HSS in name only and the cutting edge will easily break. I would suggest Cobalt/Titanium High Speed Drill drills. They are priced higher but will chew through the metal with ease.
I used the one which came with the drill set. I think it was mentioned in the item description that bits included in the box are for wood and iron so I went with it.

To be honest with you, those are advertisement "claims" for selling stuff, those bits work on wood and soft metals like aluminum, On harden steel you need to buy dedicated bits.

To be honest with you, those are advertisement "claims" for selling stuff, those bits work on wood and soft metals like aluminum, On harden steel you need to buy dedicated bits.
I thought the battery was underpowered but guess that's not the case. I will give it another shot then because I dont want to buy a corded drill. Any recommendations for bit?

you have any recommendation for a cordless drill? I’ve been looking for one which has enough juice to go through 16” or 18” gauges of sheet metal. Bought a 12V black and Decker one thinking it will be enough but sadly it can’t do the job.
Drill bits are more critical than the tool itself. I use addison HSS drill bits and they chew through the metal very well, better than any drill bit set.

Give the drill bit a squirt of WD40 while operating, that will help keep the drill bit cool and the cutting edge will remain sharper for longer.

Can you post the link, I am thinking to buy a cordless drill machine for basic home use

I thought the battery was underpowered but guess that's not the case. I will give it another shot then because I dont want to buy a corded drill. Any recommendations for bit?
Bosch This one seems to have good variety of bits for metals. If you want only one, then I would suggest visiting retail hardware stores and get one, just ask for hss drill bit and they will help. In my experience retail stores are generally cheaper then online for these items.

Drill bits are more critical than the tool itself. I use addison HSS drill bits and they chew through the metal very well, better than any drill bit set.

Give the drill bit a squirt of WD40 while operating, that will help keep the drill bit cool and the cutting edge will remain sharper for longer.
I would recommend against using WD40 on drill bits, these water displacement agents are not designed for these specific use and they actually don't contribute anything, if you need to drill, a lot of holes its better to buy cutting oil or at-the-least buy motor oil and use them(not engine oil), they provide better lubrication and will actually keep the bit cool. And after finishing the drill, gently wipe the drill bit with the same oil to keep the rust away.

Can you post the link, I am thinking to buy a cordless drill machine for basic home use
Power tools are buy once and cry once type of tools, so if you don't mind me saying please spend a little extra and get a quality tool. If in future if you buy another cordless please take note of the operational voltage of the first tool that you buy. The operating voltage ranges from 9.xV to 20V, so choose one voltage and stick to it, else you will have multiple chargers and you cant reuse one's battery with another.
If you ask me Black + Decker is good for casual home use, but If you need hammer function in your drill go for 18v+, 12v and less had difficulty with it in the past don't know how it is now.

Power tools are buy once and cry once type of tools, so if you don't mind me saying please spend a little extra and get a quality tool. If in future if you buy another cordless please take note of the operational voltage of the first tool that you buy. The operating voltage ranges from 9.xV to 20V, so choose one voltage and stick to it, else you will have multiple chargers and you cant reuse one's battery with another.
If you ask me Black + Decker is good for casual home use, but If you need hammer function in your drill go for 18v+, 12v and less had difficulty with it in the past don't know how it is now.
Yeah I will go for better tool (not top of the line though) my old trusted drill machine works well even today after 10yrs and I have no issues with it. My needs are occasional holes in walls or wood only so considering my usage what would you suggest. I don't mind spending more on a good product that last, Just yesterday I had to drill and then tighten the screw for wall mount it took some power to do so with those long screws so are these machine capable enough to tighten the screws with its attachment?

Yeah I will go for better tool (not top of the line though) my old trusted drill machine works well even today after 10yrs and I have no issues with it. My needs are occasional holes in walls or wood only so considering my usage what would you suggest. I don't mind spending more on a good product that last, Just yesterday I had to drill and then tighten the screw for wall mount it took some power to do so with those long screws so are these machine capable enough to tighten the screws with its attachment?
The black and decker one I use do easily puncture through walls and woods no issue. It’s the issue with sheet metal and iron that worries me altho. Now I do think it’s because of the bit so I’ll give it a shot.

Funny thing is that I have an old platina sitting in home and I wanted to test how well it drills so I ended up putting holes all over the bike.
Which was dumb of me but it’s gonna go to scrap anyway.

Regarding driving screws, normal drills are not up-to task, you need impact drivers but for occasional jobs at homes drills with driver function will do.
Couple of Points
1. Online pricing when compared to retails outlets seems to be higher. So I would recommend visiting the store first before purchase.
2. iBELL seems to make some good quality tools these days(I don't have first hand experience but from what repair shop people have told me)
3. If the price of the product is approaching 5000rs+, its better to go for BOSCH models as they are professional quality tools and Black + Decker, iBELL are not worth it at that price point.
4. DeWalt is professional grade tool but they are costlier and sometimes you will have spare parts availability issue.
5. Get a couple of Bulls Eye Spirit Level and stick one perpendicular to the drill at the back end and one parallel to the drill on the side. It will help in drilling straight, when drilling it will wobble but it will help you in identifying how angled the drilling is.

Regarding recommendation,
1. Choose a drill that has driver function and with >=30nm of torque for driving long screws.
2. The battery size will determine the length of jobs you can do before you need to recharge. Please note the battery cost increases exponentially with capacity. If the pack says 2 battery its is better to buy that product than getting a higher Amp battery.
3. Try to avoid accessory included kits, the provided accessories are not quality items. If we buy the drill+battery+charge it will cost less then the kit price and we can easily buy quality accessories for just the job that we have saving money and headache in the end.

I searched with the above criteria in mind but most of the listings on Amazon/Flipkart are without torque listing or the listed torque doesn't match with the one on the manufacturer site.
My general recommendation for occasional use get a ~3000rs model from Black + Decker/iBell. Most importantly if possible visit a shop and have a feel of it by using it.

Regards

Nice thread!

Is there a single tool which can be used to cut wood, tiles, alluminium sheets and other flat surfaces, mdf n all, I was planning to buy cheapest bosch marble cutting machine from amazon link below

Bosch Professional GDC 120 https://amzn.eu/d/1kwCTrm

But then in reviews I read it can't be used for anything other than tiles or marble, but ive seen carpenters use this machines for cutting plywood, so I am confused. Buying separate machines for different materials is just not feasible for me as I am going to use it occasionally for small projects or home repair.

Last edited:
Back