Do you believe in God?

In my opinion, that's like calling a knife bad. Its just a tool, how its used by an individual determines if the consequence is good or bad.
I agree on that people in general looking up symptoms on Google is a bad idea., they don't understand basic principles like think horses not zebras, but some sites like mayo clinic provide really good information for patients on what to expect during surgeries, what kind of food to eat, medicine before/after food, who should avoid it etc.
Hypochondria is a major issue. We used to see patients who were sure their headache means brain cancer because someone on the net said it !

Go to any medical college, and you will notice many the 1st and 2nd year students thinking they have all the diseases in the world - it's information overload, and even when you are studying such things closely, your brain needs a lot of time segregate wheat from the chaff. That's why we say experience matters.

Now imagine everybody and their dad turning Google doctors. That shit is bad, really bad.

While Mayo clinic and a bunch of other sites do help with excellent general info, Rxlist, drugs.com, etc are serving as self medication tools where you can search for any drug, get to know dosage, and in a country like India, buy it without a prescription, and self medicate. Worse, tons of patients argue with doctors when they don't agree with the patient's "Google" assessment. And they keep on changing doctors till one agrees with them. It's similar to a political bubble - finding and magnifying your ideology and thoughts while keeping others out.

Do you believe in God? Well, everybody gangsta until the sh*t hits the fan, :p .

I'm not a believer, but hey, my conviction gets tested whenever there's real danger to any of my loved ones. & yeah, when I mistakenly drop a currency note or coin, I happen to pick it up with great reverence, lest Goddess Lakshmi be enraged. Not taking any chances there!

So I'd like to say 'No' but my behaviour is at times hypocritical. :)

Entirely my personal experience:
I've lost faith completely after something bad happened. Was left completely alone in a foreign country in 2015, had no friends, coming home every evening to a completely silent apartment, no kid jumping around..giggling..no more hugs after long exhausting work days.
Honestly I thought it was extremely unfair and there's is no God. I was trying to be the best version of me, doing everything I was supposed to do..initially for first few days, it was fun, I could listen to music in silence for hours...but it didn't last long..I often stayed back at HQ overnight just to avoid the empty apartment. And all my ambitions in life vanished..it was a miserable experience. Got my first dog ( a labrador)..he was my companion, my best friend and believe it or not..through him I got my faith back ( it was a very strange experience) partially.
Then a person entered my life ( I don't believe in coincidences) who brought the faith back in me.
For me, without faith, I've no ambition, no desire to work on myself for betterment. I become a zombie.

Edit - On the topic of the thread, I am an athiest, but would like to believe that I was agnostic.
There is this famous quote by Epicurus which I like to repeat everywhere such a conversation occurs
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
I am an atheist. But let me pitch in:

Why God: Because that is a concept internal to you. You will have to admit even as a rationalist that: according to me the world, universe is what I make out of it. What my brain registers and understands. The same condition exists for you. Everyone has their own version of understanding of universe inside their brains.
And then there is a physical universe that actually exists - but no one comprehends fully.

It is much like that story of blind men and elephant - where every blind man is trying to create a picture. What they can't understand using their petty brains - they attribute it to God. If you want to "tame" the randomness of the Universe, use the concept of God. If you get terrified by the thought of randomness and how it can affect your well being - having a belief in god helps you stay calm and act "positive".
See below:
For me, without faith, I've no ambition, no desire to work on myself for betterment. I become a zombie.
And that is the reason why I wrote I wish I could believe in God.

Last edited:
No, never believed and completely lost faith since 2012-13.
Atheist.
not very ambitious or with many desires but always try to keep myself in healthy state of mind.
sometimes I just try to observe life, like a therapy. neither very happy in case of a happy event nor complaining about any misfortune.
for me every thing is a part of life.

sometimes I just try to observe life, like a therapy. neither very happy in case of a happy event nor complaining about any misfortune.
for me every thing is a part of life.
You're truly an enlightened person. Observing life, without getting overwhelmed by joy or sorrow is what I aspire to be.
But I have a loooong way to go... detachment is what I consciously try to practice. And to attain that state of mind, I need some support of a higher power, that's God to me.
Thank you guys, some wonderful perspectives from hardcore men of science. Thank you all!!

Last edited:
Curious... Why would you want to attain a state of detachment? You're sounding like a Yogi. Keep such goals for when you are old & frail. Just my opinion, no disrespect.

^^ Sorry, I can't read Hindi..was it Aham Brahma?
:D you liked it even without reading and understanding. wah modije wah.
that word literally mean, i reject god and i'm the god.
Its' word for atheist. people who use that word and say they believe is God are ignorant.

Just like you said medical information on internet is mostly misinformation, same goes with religion and spiritually context. keyboard warriors litters all over without knowing anything.
From centuries politicians change the motto of religion and spiritual for their benefit,
My grandfather use to say present days sadhus are chodus (চোদু - ****er in bangla), because 99.9% of them have never read a single religious book and has zero knowledge. They only playing with common people's faith and beliefs to make money.

It very complex topic to discuss with random people on internet.

adding my 2 paisa on hinduism. ( this a lifetime study and not a school syllabus).
Brahma = Creator of Brahmand ( The universe) [ im not referring to the area in Thane ]. [ using similar word in a serial was reflection of strong emotion of the character, and has nothing to do with god/religion. It was like saying i'm invincible - but are we really invincible ? no not at all. we all are perishable.]
Kali doesn't related to dark/black color ( as is kaliya). Kalli is related to kal , kal = time. so she is not dark goddess, She is someone who has can control time.

Back to the original topic.
Yes I am strong believer of God. I have felt & seen miracle in my life.
No, never believed and completely lost faith since 2012-13.
Atheist.

if you never believed how you lost faith then ?:what?:
in other words , how can you give up something which you never owned in first pace.

Later you are referring to a state called self-realization/actualisation. Which is very healthy and very practical.

Last edited:
I can't read hindi...that doesn't mean I don't know any alphabets in hindi..I can read devnagri script mate...it's similar to hindi.
Of course I do understand the meaning of Ahm Brahma ( it's sanskrit buddy, I've read sanskrit for 2 years in school)
Though I'm a believer, I've no problem accepting and respecting others' opinion and belief.
Ahm Brahma doesn't imply that I'm an atheist. It literally says that God exists and it's within me. It means I am not seperate from Brahma, in simple words I'm the omnipotent...the very basic of Hinduism.
"Tat Tvam Asi"..Google it..
No, this doesn't need to be complicated.
As a son of a Brahmin family ( whose grandfather was a full time purohit) I completed understand why people find these things difficult ( because everything was explained by those bloody brahmins...some were ignorant, some wanted to protect their knowledge)
But this thread is not about Hinduism..rather God. Two completely different things.
Curious... Why would you want to attain a state of detachment? You're sounding like a Yogi. Keep such goals for when you are old & frail. Just my opinion, no disrespect.
I'm old buddy...tired of living a life based on pleasure and pain principal. By detachment I meant truly feeling inside that everything going on ( good or bad) shall pass. I'm only praying for the serenity to accept the things I can't change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference. That's it!! Nothing difficult to comprehend/ super vague.
Thankful to my partner who has introduced me to this simple way of life and thinking. She's not Hindu.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying. Guess I'm a long way off from evolving, unlike you & some of the other posters on this thread. Right now, I'm in it for the rat race & all the pleasures that life has to offer. Serenity & tranquility can come later. To each his own, I guess, :) .

if you never believed how you lost faith then ?:what?:
in other words , how can you give up something which you never owned in first pace.

Later you are referring to a state called self-realization/actualisation. Which is very healthy and very practical.
Never believed, just followed what I was told since kindergarten like most of the parents tell their children about God, religion or mythology.
always doubtful and never convinced, moreover never felt anything so completely lost faith whatsoever.
Miracles do happen, doesn't matter if someone's a believer or atheist.

Absolutely, I've seen miracles happening in a completely atheists's life ( a wonderful human who lives a very balanced life, just doesn't believe in God)
I guess most of you've read Fountainhead...if not, please read it.

Back