Domain Registration queries

wanderx

Recruit
Hi,

I've recently seen some offers where a public domain registration on Godaddy is for around Rs.70 whereas private is around Rs.500. I've read the basic difference between private & public registration - What I want to know is whether it is a issue in real world for someone starting a blog.

Thank You

For companies and a commercial website, if they go for private registration it will look suspicious, as we expect the contact details of the owner to be publicly available.

But for a personal blog, it depends on your choice, if you are ok with having your contact details publicly accessible, you need not opt for the private registration.

Besides, the Rs 70 registration fee is only for the first year, after that its the regular fee and difference will not be that significant.

+1, and with GoDaddy you can use discount coupons during registration, they sometimes give 10-30% discounts on renewals too.

Thanks for all replies.

Do I have to provide phone number during registration? If yes, then will it be accessible to all if I go with public registration?

Do I have to provide phone number during registration? If yes, then will it be accessible to all if I go with public registration?

Yes you have to provide a phone number and it can be retrieved with a simple WHOIS check.

But no one will verify the number that you enter! ;)

Hosting Suggestions?

I've registered a domain - now looking for an inexpensive hosting solution.

It'll be used for hosting an adventure blog . I don't have a credit card hence looking for options where I can pay with a debit card or VCC.

Blog is for non-monetary purposes & will be updated over a period of time hence I'm looking for inexpensive options for first few months . I've come across some old posts mentioning outpowerhosting, hostso & godaddy. I've read that godaddy is not the best option for hosting but I can get their economy hosting @ 165 for 3 months & they accept debit cards. Plz suggest which will be the viable option.

Thank You

I've registered a domain - now looking for an inexpensive hosting solution.
There are few free hosting too with limited features like:

blogger.com
x10hosting.com/free-hosting-signup

I don't have a credit card hence looking for options where I can pay with a debit card or VCC.
There are many Indian hosting provider which accept Debit card, NetBanking
Like Bigrock, HostDime India, Hostgator India

Blog is for non-monetary purposes & will be updated over a period of time hence I'm looking for inexpensive options for first few months . I've come across some old posts mentioning outpowerhosting, hostso & godaddy. I've read that godaddy is not the best option for hosting but I can get their economy hosting @ 165 for 3 months & they accept debit cards. Plz suggest which will be the viable option.
Thank You
Yes, keep yourself safe from Godaddy hosting.

Go with outpowerhosting. Avoid hostso and godaddy hosting at any cost.

If your blog isn't going to be updated very often and you aren't going to have visitors logging in, then I'd suggest taking the cheapest reliable hosting available, and using a free CDN like Cloudflare. You'll get performance and security, and the performance of your hosting provider won't matter too much.

Thanks for all replies.

I'll wait for a few days to check more hosts but outpowerhosting seems a reasonable deal as they have outlined resources available to each user. I've come across some decent deals from US based sellers but lack of a credit card is a issue.

Thanks for all replies.

I'll wait for a few days to check more hosts but outpowerhosting seems a reasonable deal as they have outlined resources available to each user. I've come across some decent deals from US based sellers but lack of a credit card is a issue.
This Guy @Naveen_Reloaded Hosts his blog on outpowerhosting. You can Contact him if you have doubts about the service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just book a domain on Godaddy for 64 Rs.

Go to blogger.com then configure custom domain like wanderx.com

Upload a free template.

Your site is ready in 64 Rs :)

eh yeah, Have one site on Blogger custom domain. Planning to move to Wordpress.

Templates are not that good on blogger, while wordpress has mindblowing themes. Anyone using custom domain on wordpress ? Does it work same way as blogger ?

Thanks for all replies.

Yes, You have to provide your contact number while domain registration. If you are registering without domain privacy (i.e public registration), Your number would be viewable to everyone on whois searches. If you wish to hide your private contact detail from public, You need to enable privacy protection.
You can visit www.WhoisXY.com and have a whois lookup on both public domain name and private domain name to know the difference.

I prefer Namecheap for domains as they come with free 1 year private registration/whoisguard. They dont usually have special offers and coupons like Godaddy but its got instant domain propagation and domain registration is pretty straight-forward unlike Godaddy, where they try to trick you into subscribing all the un-necessary options.

Again its a personal choice whether or not to make your whois private, but if its public expect a lot of marketing emails and phone calls from domain/website flippers, web designers, online consultants etc.

Go daddy - Use coupon & book for around 64 Rs
Add Privacy once domain is booked & use 50 % Off coupons.

In longterm, I find Godaddy better as they release too many coupons & service is too good.
Name cheaps & other rarely have coupons.

Is bigrock.in reliable? A friend of mine is looking to get a domain name registered for 3 years ( wants to avoid the renewal process for sometime), bigrock.in was charging quite less then both godady and networksolutions.
Any suggestions?

Back