DualShock4 Repair Help

After your button ribbon (it is actually conductive film, amazon listings say button ribbon) change, give it some time. Connect the controller with usb cable to ps4, it might update firmware and fix it self. Wishful thinking.

IPA will not damage components, is quick drying (evaporates) and should leave no residue. Water/moisture on the other hand might stay for days even weeks and cause corrosion even if its not visible. Best is to use q tips (ear buds) soaked in IPA to clean. Still it's always better to wipe off to be sure. There are different ratings/percentage for IPA and I take the label with a grain of salt unless bought from a chemist/medical store. I have fixed a bunch of controllers (snes, n64, og xbox, xbox 360, xbox one) just by cleaning them, only a single ps3 and ps4 controller required this ribbon change.

Wrote the above last evening and forgot to hit send.

The power ribbon is damaged. This probably happened while opening/closing the controller and is separate to your trigger problem. Oh well, still user replaceable and fairly cheap, now you know what to do. There are a few of them on amazon. If you can count the number of pins otherwise joy will have to help you here. If your caps are damaged/worn out you can replace them too while you're at it. It'll basically be a new controller at this point. Beats buying a new one for 4k+. You'll become a pro in no time. DIY is very fulfilling.

Just hope you don't have stick drift. If you have another same controller try swapping the power ribbon out first to check. If you have stick drift you will need soldering skills and is still difficult to align properly. We were trying to save you the hassle of going to a professional for which you will have to. For me aftermarket sticks (experience with wii classic controller pro) leave a lot to be desired, just don't feel right.

Lastly I'm no expert, just had a lot of time on my hands. I also need help with a ps3 controller, once your problem is solved will ask here.

PS - I don't know Joy but he has been super helpful on the forum. Kudos.

edit Oh the retainer popped off. This is beyond my scope. Feel like I jumped the gun and caused your bad luck.

edit 2 Just a thought, maybe you can superglue it but now we'll enter jugaad territory. There should be a better way to fix this.

Unfortunately there is no easy way for it to fix it. The retainer is too small and i don't think that i have even seen a replacement. Also you will need the corresponding ribbon cable.

Link to the cable is
TCOS TECH 12 Pin Power Switch Ribbon Flex Cable for Sony PS4 Playstation 4 Controller - 1 Piece https://amzn.eu/d/aef2UeN

Alternatively I will suggest you to ship the controller to me. I might be able to fix the controller but there is no guarantee for it. Just buy me a coffee. :p

@MrB - It's really not worth repairing the PS3 Controller. The parts are rare and expensive. And one can easily get perfectly working original PS3 controllers. In fact I have 3 controllers with me which i plan to put up for sale soon.

Unfortunately there is no easy way for it to fix it. The retainer is too small and i don't think that i have even seen a replacement. Also you will need the corresponding ribbon cable.

Link to the cable is
TCOS TECH 12 Pin Power Switch Ribbon Flex Cable for Sony PS4 Playstation 4 Controller - 1 Piece https://amzn.eu/d/aef2UeN

Alternatively I will suggest you to ship the controller to me. I might be able to fix the controller but there is no guarantee for it. Just buy me a coffee. :p

@MrB - It's really not worth repairing the PS3 Controller. The parts are rare and expensive. And one can easily get perfectly working original PS3 controllers. In fact I have 3 controllers with me which i plan to put up for sale soon.
This is much cheaper than the whole board listing I saw last night, thank you.

I'm considering turning it over to you now, but I'd still like to try it myself. If only the cable has to be replaced maybe I can do that much. I will let you know soon if I want to send it.

That being said @MrB was absolutely right, @joy.das.jd you've been a great help so far (also explains that shop-size listing of controllers you put up recently ;). Thank you so much.

This is much cheaper than the whole board listing I saw last night, thank you.

I'm considering turning it over to you now, but I'd still like to try it myself. If only the cable has to be replaced maybe I can do that much. I will let you know soon if I want to send it.

That being said @MrB was absolutely right, @joy.das.jd you've been a great help so far (also explains that shop-size listing of controllers you put up recently ;). Thank you so much.

Sure brother. Check after replacing the cable.

Thanks for the compliments. Just trying to help fellow gamers of this forum. Most sellers / repair guys just try to fleece gamers out there. First time even i paid a dear amount for a simple fix (in fact I was charged 1800 for a similar issue like yours). And i am just trying my little bit to save them from being fleeced.

PS - You don't even need to buy it from Amazon. I have one spare with me. You can have it for free. Just pay for the shipping charges. Lol. All DS4 , V2 use the same ribbon cable.

Last edited:
@joy.das.jd - What a guy you are. You're turning out to be a true gent. Will definitely remember you.

My trust in repair guys is zero be it any electronic product. Even if they can't fleece you they will somehow find a way. This is not to offend anyone just that I haven't been so lucky.

Like I mentioned earlier, needed little help with a ps3 controller. Don't remember which model it is now, I find them a pain to put back together, the springs and triggers always get to me.
It has 2 problems
1. There's random intermittent button presses for both dpad and buttons. Think it has liquid damage, was going to replace conductive film but before I do this wanted to solve my other problem
2. I'm missing a piece. T shaped plastic part to keep the dpad stable. The dpad is unusable without it. Have no clue where I can find/get this from.
It's an original controller bought new, gave it it to a fifa playing friend (these guys always need 4 controllers), who gave it to another friend and so on. By the time it got back to me, this part was missing (maybe it was never there but my other older controller has it) and the above mentioned problem started soon after. I put it in my cupboard for years and forgot about it till I saw your giveaway.

Have a good weekend!

PS - You don't even need to buy it from Amazon. I have one spare with me. You can have it for free. Just pay for the shipping charges. Lol. All DS4 , V2 use the same ribbon cable.
You know what? Sure, why the hell not, I wouldn't turn down that offer. Can you send me some details so that I can get an estimate of the shipping?

You know what? Sure, why the hell not, I wouldn't turn down that offer. Can you send me some details so that I can get an estimate of the shipping?

Its a just a ribbon cable so weight will be negligible. Pictures are attached. As for shipping, PM me your address. Shipping should be covered in Rs 100 max (i will return whatever is left if its less than that ;)).

PS - Just be gentle with the microUSB part. That part is super fragile and can easily leave your controller completely useless. The A (top side of the first picture) side goes into the microUSB and the WM (lower part in first pic) goes into the motherboard of the controller. Best of luck. :nailbiting:

Its a just a ribbon cable so weight will be negligible. Pictures are attached. As for shipping, PM me your address. Shipping should be covered in Rs 100 max (i will return whatever is left if its less than that ;)).

PS - Just be gentle with the microUSB part. That part is super fragile and can easily leave your controller completely useless. The A (top side of the first picture) side goes into the microUSB and the WM (lower part in first pic) goes into the motherboard of the controller. Best of luck. :nailbiting:
Big oopsie, I meant I will take you up on your offer to repair it. I do hope you don't get your coffee from Starbucks though

Big oopsie, I meant I will take you up on your offer to repair it. I do hope you don't get your coffee from Starbucks though

Will recommend to try it yourself first. If it doesn't work, then you can send me controller. :)

@joy.das.jd - What a guy you are. You're turning out to be a true gent. Will definitely remember you.

My trust in repair guys is zero be it any electronic product. Even if they can't fleece you they will somehow find a way. This is not to offend anyone just that I haven't been so lucky.

Like I mentioned earlier, needed little help with a ps3 controller. Don't remember which model it is now, I find them a pain to put back together, the springs and triggers always get to me.
It has 2 problems
1. There's random intermittent button presses for both dpad and buttons. Think it has liquid damage, was going to replace conductive film but before I do this wanted to solve my other problem
2. I'm missing a piece. T shaped plastic part to keep the dpad stable. The dpad is unusable without it. Have no clue where I can find/get this from.
It's an original controller bought new, gave it it to a fifa playing friend (these guys always need 4 controllers), who gave it to another friend and so on. By the time it got back to me, this part was missing (maybe it was never there but my other older controller has it) and the above mentioned problem started soon after. I put it in my cupboard for years and forgot about it till I saw your giveaway.

Have a good weekend!

As for @MrB - you are simply out of luck brother. The part you are looking for is simply out of production. So you will have to salvage it from an old controller. I had 2 dead controllers a while ago which i gave away. You will have to find such a thing.

And conductive film varies by model number. So you will have to tell me that exact model number of controller. Alternatively buy one from me. Lol.
@MrB - I think you are looking for this specific part. I arranged one for you. Please PM me for it. I think you are from Delhi itself so you can collect it from me.

Last edited:
@joy.das.jd - That's exactly what I needed, will be picking it up from you soon. Thanks.

I opened up my controller (ps3 ds3), cleaned it thoroughly. The problem still persists and now (maybe from before) my right triggers are completely dead. Noticed if I shake it or even a bit of flex, getting rapid button presses. Tried the tape mod still no go. I think only the film/ribbon has to be replaced.

The controller is asuka v7. Matching pics online, I need the sq160a film. All the amazon listings are non prime, overpriced and shipping of at least 2 weeks. Any leads on this will be much appreciated.

Buying another controller might turn out easier/cheaper but I don't wanna junk this, specially after Joy was able to source the missing part.

@joy.das.jd - That's exactly what I needed, will be picking it up from you soon. Thanks.

I opened up my controller (ps3 ds3), cleaned it thoroughly. The problem still persists and now (maybe from before) my right triggers are completely dead. Noticed if I shake it or even a bit of flex, getting rapid button presses. Tried the tape mod still no go. I think only the film/ribbon has to be replaced.

The controller is asuka v7. Matching pics online, I need the sq160a film. All the amazon listings are non prime, overpriced and shipping of at least 2 weeks. Any leads on this will be much appreciated.

Buying another controller might turn out easier/cheaper but I don't wanna junk this, specially after Joy was able to source the missing part.

DS3 is already a rare item these days and asuka boards are even rarer for them. Can you let me know if you have a B1 board or any other. If it's a B1 board then i MIGHT be able to source you one. That's a big MIGHT.

If it's anything else like A1 etc , then simply forget it. It's too rare to even try to get a working film. They made very small batch of Asuka boards apart from B1 model. Simply put "nahi milega" if it's NOT ASUKA B1.

You might have a better chance of getting a limited edition GOD OF WAR controller than that specific film.. Lol

It's a B1 controller.

Edit - The ribbon connector pic was taken before I cleaned with ipa.

Attachments

• IMG_5283.JPG
    IMG_5283.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5282.JPG
    IMG_5282.JPG
    313.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5281.JPG
    IMG_5281.JPG
    401 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5280.JPG
    IMG_5280.JPG
    365.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
It's a B1 controller.

Edit - The ribbon connector pic was taken before I cleaned with ipa.

@MrB - I arranged one sq160a film for your PS3 controller. It did cost me Rs 200. Hope you are fine with it.

Hello,

I have repaired your controller. The ribbon was totally gone. I replaced it. It is working perfectly fine with PS4. I played Borderlands game wit it for some time and it is working perfectly well.

However on the PC i did find that there is a slight drift on both the analog sticks. This is definitely due to wear and tear of the controller and it simply cannot be repaired. The only solution will be for a complete analog stick replacement (which is NOT RECOMMENDED).

Also what method do you use to connect the controller to PC ? USB cable or Bluetooth. I will recommend to use Bluetooth if available. And set a slight deadzone in your controller settings for use on the PC. That's the only suggestion can that i suggest at the moment.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have repaired your controller. The ribbon was totally gone. I replaced it. It is working perfectly fine with PS4. I played Borderlands game wit it for some time and it is working perfectly well.

However on the PC i did find that there is a slight drift on both the analog sticks. This is definitely due to wear and tear of the controller and it simply cannot be repaired. The only solution will be for a complete analog stick replacement (which is NOT RECOMMENDED).

Also what method do you use to connect the controller to PC ? USB cable or Bluetooth. I will recommend to use Bluetooth if available. And set a slight deadzone in your controller settings for use on the PC. That's the only suggestion can that i suggest at the moment.

Thank you very much, really really thanks.

Yes, I know that there is slight drift, but it doesn't affect any of the games I play (or I keep a slight deadzone as you mentioned), so it's a pretty minor issue for now (Flex - I'm still pretty competitive in F1 and Assetto Corsa Ranked/Pro lobbies, so :smile:)

Mostly Bluetooth, I even make it a point to charge it when I'm not using so that I won't have to plug it in while playing, but I do use the USB cable when DS4Windows doesn't play well with a wireless controller. Why, is there something wrong with the port/board?

Thank you very much, really really thanks.

Yes, I know that there is slight drift, but it doesn't affect any of the games I play (or I keep a slight deadzone as you mentioned), so it's a pretty minor issue for now (Flex - I'm still pretty competitive in F1 and Assetto Corsa Ranked/Pro lobbies, so :smile:)

Mostly Bluetooth, I even make it a point to charge it when I'm not using so that I won't have to plug it in while playing, but I do use the USB cable when DS4Windows doesn't play well with a wireless controller. Why, is there something wrong with the port/board?

Wow. A great player. I was never good with racing games. Just NFS ,they are the only racing gaming that i can play at decent levels. I am good in SEKIRO. LOL.

The reason that i asked about your method of connection is that the USB port is a bit loose and sometimes loses the connection in wired mode. Not a big deal if you use the Bluetooth. And not really worth replacing when the original is still working fine for the moment. It recharges fine and even the GAMEPADTESTER results are okay. But it kept losing connection in FORZA for some odd reason. BTW the color of the controller is great.

Hi,
My play station 4 randomly boots from standby mode .Is it any way related to DS4 controller?
Nope. It's in no way related to DS4 controller.

Do a complete shutdown and leave it off for a few hours. Then go into the safe mode and do a REBUILD SYSTEM. you will NOT lose your data. Most of software issues can be sorted out with software rebuild feature. However note that if you have a lot of data then it will take a significant amount of time.

And also clean your PS4 to remove dust and debris from it. A vaccum cleaner works wonders here. :)

@joy.das.jd - You're a star bro. Thank you so much.

I was really busy and just didn't order the film off amazon. Will meet you sometime next week and give you the money then. Hope that's fine.

I sincerely hope that you find the stuffs useful. And that you can make use of the film and the small T-module. :)

The reason that i asked about your method of connection is that the USB port is a bit loose and sometimes loses the connection in wired mode.
Ah yes, this. It used to be a problem when I was using a crap cable but I luckily found an old and basically unused cable which fits super tight.
BTW the color of the controller is great.
Thanks, it used to belong to my friend!

Back