Ebay: Rant!! :(

Ebay is a mess no doubt.

I tweeted for a replacement under their 30 day replacement guarentee, they tweeted back asking for the paisapay id. I sent it. 2 weeks went by w/o any reply or mail and when I called back they said that the Claim had been rejected and was closed. Fine, but no intimation? No mail? You can't close a freaking claim and not inform the buyer. I sent a tweet asking an explanation for the delay, they said paisapay wasn't provided. I had a screenshot of their tweet confirming they got the paisapay id and would revert in so and so days. Caught their bluff. But then again no information again for 1 week. Left seller -ve feedback for shipping wrong size and trying to settle outside Ebay. #DealWithIt

I've seen companies take notice if the complaints start trending on social networks; especially the US companies. Has that ever worked for any of you guys?

Hahaha pure genius.
That actually comes under threat and ebay doesn't take kindly to it. Normally, it is best to have seller write this to you, and even better if it is within ebay's message system. A call to the seller is like banging your head against the wall. For my last transaction, I interacted with a local seller. The delivery for a simple OTG cable took 10 days . I never called him/returned his call - not really good if I want the item urgently but avoids seller making false promises. As everything is within ebay system, thwacking the seller is quite easy.

after reading the posts in thought in my mind is the some employees of ebay formed a nexus with these seller. If they are getting frequent complaints on a seller why can't they blacklist/investigate.

Also based on the confidence of the seller in the op case i think he is pretty sure what will happen in the end. And also there is no way to escalate the matter to higher mgt to bring to their notice.

I never purchased any item more than 10k online. There have been few purchases from ebay and all went well till date.

I used to think that feedback is one way to trust the seller but looking at what happened with OP, I doubt will purchase anything from ebay in coming future.

I agree, OP shall go to consumer court, will help others too..

I have bought from ebay lot of times. The max price of an item that i brought was 30k.
Till now i think i haven't been duped. I tried getting my item from a Power Seller always. May be thats why. There were cases when there were other sellers selling it at lower price, but I sticked to power sellers.
But by what is being said about ebay here, I think I need to be wary of them.

Last year I had similar problem with one of the ebay sellers, who instead of sending me an Iphone worth 18K had sent garbage approxiately weighing the same. I initiated a case against the seller. The claim settlement rejected my claim, saying that since seller has the proof of delivery they can't do anything about it. Their suggestion was to accept the parcel only after verifying the content.

Now I know that ebay is a gamble. If you are going for a high value item from ebay it will be only as a last resort knowing the risk

Oh man, some of the responses here are really shocking! :(

Makes me want to think twice before committing to a deal on eBay. Had purchased a Canon 600D during May and the deal went fine without any hassles. Got a sealed unit with a proper invoice. That must have been the most expensive item (30k) I’ve gotten off this portal.

But eBay siding with some of the unscrupulous dealers for a resolution is truly shocking and unacceptable! :(

I have bought from ebay lot of times. The max price of an item that i brought was 30k.
Till now i think i haven't been duped. I tried getting my item from a Power Seller always. May be thats why. There were cases when there were other sellers selling it at lower price, but I sticked to power sellers.
But by what is being said about ebay here, I think I need to be wary of them.

I do the same, moreover i look specifically for the recent feedback for the same item i'm gonna purchase. So the chances of getting duped are far lesser.

Last year I had similar problem with one of the ebay sellers, who instead of sending me an Iphone worth 18K had sent garbage approxiately weighing the same. I initiated a case against the seller. The claim settlement rejected my claim, saying that since seller has the proof of delivery they can't do anything about it. Their suggestion was to accept the parcel only after verifying the content.

Now I know that ebay is a gamble. If you are going for a high value item from ebay it will be only as a last resort knowing the risk

Another scary incident. For high value items definitely people should stop using their services altogether.

I too have been conned by the same seller sky.way. He's a protected seller on ebay and he's definitely a con man.

Bought a used blackberry curve and the listing stated with 6 months manufacturer warranty. Got the phone but the bill said 6 months dealer warranty. I mailed him and he said bill sent by mistake , would send the proper bill. Didn't get the bill and it was 25 days since purchase , so I filed ebay guarantee. The seller mailed he has shipped the bill and gave ebay the courier details.

I got the bill and to my horror, it was same company which had issued earlier bill. I called him and he said he print and make bills at our house only. He then says let me know what kind of bill u require and I will send it. I was shocked beyond words.

Ebay closed the claim saying u got the bill and I am stuck with the heavily used blackberry and that too without warranty.

It's disgusting and ebay protects such sellers.

Did you file a case with Ebay?

This is scary. I used to order a lot of costly items on ebay earlier. I suppose I was fortunate enough not to have bad experience. Will have to downgrade ebay for high-value items from now onwards.

Wow they sent garbage and ebay rejected your claim. You should have definitely gone to court and sued them big time
Actually, I had to go out of the country for several days and I was overloaded with visa/travel related issues. Also, if you think carefully you will realize that, it would have been difficult to prove that the mischief was done by seller or courier (though I suspected courier people - Professional courier). The claim settlement person even asked me that, what proof do I have to prove that I am not the mischief-monger.

Actually I was out of station when the packet was delivered in my house. I came back from tour next day and reported the matter to Ebay that day only, after speaking to seller.

Actually, I had to go out of the country for several days and I was overloaded with visa/travel related issues. Also, if you think carefully you will realize that, it would have been difficult to prove that the mischief was done by seller or courier (though I suspected courier people - Professional courier). The claim settlement person even asked me that, what proof do I have to prove that I am not the mischief-monger.

Actually I was out of station when the packet was delivered in my house. I came back from tour next day and reported the matter to Ebay that day only, after speaking to seller.
It can be the courier person. Once we had sent a DD thru courier and they stole it. It never reached its destination. Then we had to apply some pressure, If you what i mean. Then they gave it back.

Same thing had happened with my friend, when he sent some clothes to his relatives thru post during diwali. The relatives got garbage.

On the phone with ebay, they are stating that the phone is water damaged and they are not in a position to do anything as the claim was brought to their notice too late, I asked them ask the seller to post the pics from different angle they are saying from their side the case is closed, please take the matter personally with the seller,
I have again asked them to escalate the matter to their superior.[DOUBLEPOST=1375344152][/DOUBLEPOST]Guys, I have posted this entire episode on ebay page on facebook, can you loggin and share it with your friends.

On the phone with ebay, they are stating that the phone is water damaged and they are not in a position to do anything as the claim was brought to their notice too late, I asked them ask the seller to post the pics from different angle they are saying from their side the case is closed, please take the matter personally with the seller,
I have again asked them to escalate the matter to their superior.[DOUBLEPOST=1375344152][/DOUBLEPOST]Guys, I have posted this entire episode on ebay page on facebook, can you loggin and share it with your friends.
You try loggin a complaint in consumer forum. That also works many times.

the mischief was done by seller or courier (though I suspected courier people - Professional courier).

That could have very well been done by the Professional morons! There have been instances before wherein they have replaced the contents inside the consignment. I had a friend who had left his N73ME cellphone here during deputation. It was dispatched to him using Professional by a colleague and he got a stone inside the box! Imagine his plight when he found this out. Unfortunately, there was no declaration so nothing could have been done.

But did you not receive your consignment in eBay’s tamper-proof cover? I have noticed that the dealers send most (if not all) of the high-value stuff in eBay’s own cover outside their packaging. Any tampering done is easily noticeable by the consignee. Was this an expensive item?

Apologies for the OT.

My 2 cents

1. Try buying from a Power Seller. Does not guarantee that he won't con you but chances are less.
2. For more expensive stuff stick to flipkart and such even if it means forking out few hundereds more.
3. When the Parcel is received, try to see if you can open in front of the courier guy, optional though.
4. ALWAYS - ALWAYS capture a video of the packaging as received and then you opening the package. This is important and will act as proof lest anything went wrong with the shipment or the product is not as described.

...But did you not receive your consignment in eBay’s tamper-proof cover? I have noticed that the dealers send most (if not all) of the high-value stuff in eBay’s own cover outside their packaging. Any tampering done is easily noticeable by the consignee. Was this an expensive item?

Apologies for the OT.
The seller was not a dealer and he did not put it in a tamper-proof cover (I was also not aware about this tamper-proof-cover business at that time). It was expensive for me...18K. I had to swallow the loss.[DOUBLEPOST=1375345572][/DOUBLEPOST]
....3. When the Parcel is received, try to see if you can open in front of the courier guy, optional though.
Many delivery persons don't allow you to open the package before receiving. In my case all the courier delivery guys have denied this request - bluedart, dtdc, first flight, aramex, TNT to name a few.

Back