Emulating iOS on Android

When you go with apple what you lose is choice. You will have to put up wth a lot of things you already take for granted

i would argue its the other way round.
My photo library of the last 20 years is on both icloud and google photos.

If i wanted to dump ios tomorrow, I can just reset and sell the phone and be done with it - all photos , documents and data on icloud are anyway synced locally (or can be done with a single click on windows or mac if needed)
This is now next to impossible on google for photos in particular after they discontinued their photo sync app in 2019.

Coming back to your problem , there are multiple ways to it.
Photosync (available on both android , ios and PC/mac) is one app that works exceptionally well for this.
You can even enable automatic local syncing from either ios or android to a PC or mac . some of the features are paid - but like a 100-200 one time purchase.

If it is more of a one off usage need, even telegram will suffice

If you intend to continue using sideloading, stay away from iOS.
Having said that, I hope you aren’t sideloading apps on your primary phone :)
The more I read this thread, the more I get confused haha. Pretty much valid comments, all around by everyone.

Just keep taking their photos with the phone and burst shot them. Treat them like models. Hold your hand here and turn face over ther.

They will leave you alone after some time :D

I would do this with at least five different phones in the store.

Why ? just bored or something more.

I've been off fruit company since '98. To the extent of not even touching the products.

Was chatting with some one who thinks they are the best. I always remind him that Apple is never the best at anything. They just do most things well.

He placed his phone on a scooter seat. Bad move. Two minutes later phone slid down and screen cracked. Repair bill 11k (!) and get this he did that just two weeks back already.

He was showing me his airpods 3. Telling them they kept getting lose in his ear. I'm looking at them. There is no way to attach anything to them. No third party buds or hooks that would increase traction.

This is while wearing galaxy buds pro with custom tips.

When you go with apple what you lose is choice. You will have to put up wth a lot of things you already take for granted.
You're way more .. adventurous.. than I am, I guess, haha! I just went to another store :)

Not really about being bored. Just the compact requirement is really limiting my choice set.

i would argue its the other way round.
My photo library of the last 20 years is on both icloud and google photos.

If i wanted to dump ios tomorrow, I can just reset and sell the phone and be done with it - all photos , documents and data on icloud are anyway synced locally (or can be done with a single click on windows or mac if needed)
This is now next to impossible on google for photos in particular after they discontinued their photo sync app in 2019.

Coming back to your problem , there are multiple ways to it.
Photosync (available on both android , ios and PC/mac) is one app that works exceptionally well for this.
You can even enable automatic local syncing from either ios or android to a PC or mac . some of the features are paid - but like a 100-200 one time purchase.

If it is more of a one off usage need, even telegram will suffice

If you intend to continue using sideloading, stay away from iOS.
Having said that, I hope you aren’t sideloading apps on your primary phone :)

I don't have requirement to send pics and moreover wife too has IPhone so pics anyways go to her in photostream but one off Cases where say I want to transfer a pic from iPhone to android tablet, I didn't have much option. It happened just 3 days back, my kid has missed school for a week due to he being sick so my wife got the pics of school work via whatsapp from a classmate's mom and I wanted these pics on Samsung A7 tab so my kid can use that to complete his books. I had to upload pics to my hdd connected to raspberry pi and download on Samsung. I will look into option you told but for now, I apply some workaround for one off cases.

I don't have requirement to send pics and moreover wife too has IPhone so pics anyways go to her in photostream but one off Cases where say I want to transfer a pic from iPhone to android tablet, I didn't have much option. It happened just 3 days back, my kid has missed school for a week due to he being sick so my wife got the pics of school work via whatsapp from a classmate's mom and I wanted these pics on Samsung A7 tab so my kid can use that to complete his books. I had to upload pics to my hdd connected to raspberry pi and download on Samsung. I will look into option you told but for now, I apply some workaround for one off cases.
Again not the simplest option, but as I mentioned previously Onedrive does auto-album upload of every photo in my Gallery, so to share with others, I usually just select them from Onedrive and then send the link over email or text message.

To date, either I have not figured out or there is no way to transfer say a pic from my iPhone to say and android tablet.
It's funny how many otherwise technically proficient people get stumped with this one. That's because there are arbitrary restrictions in place that do not exist on other devices.

I had to transfer pics of some Nokia feature phone. I looked it up, learnt how to navigate the OS, enable Bluetooth and transfer them over to an android tab. Took little over five minutes to get it done.

Do the same thing with a relative's iPhone and an hour later I still had not figured out how to do it phone to phone and gave up. Did not have a lightning cable.

They showed up the next day after asking the apple care folk and pat came the answer, shareit or xender. I wonder if these apps are still available after the ban. They used to be.

It works by creating a temporary access point out of the android device that the iPhone connects to and the file copies over.
I'm mostly looking at a compact lagless experience. In Android the options are very less.

Though he says S22 suffers due to the small battery. IN theory, there is a way around that if you can root it, then limit CPU speed as described here for the Exynos S20FE. Roll your own aggressive power saver mode.

There are options if you're game

Last edited:
It's funny how many otherwise technically proficient people get stumped with this one. That's because there are arbitrary restrictions in place that do not exist on other devices.

I had to transfer pics of some Nokia feature phone. I looked it up, learnt how to navigate the OS, enable Bluetooth and transfer them over to an android tab. Took little over five minutes to get it done.

Do the same thing with a relative's iPhone and an hour later I still had not figured out how to do it phone to phone and gave up. Did not have a lightning cable.

They showed up the next day after asking the apple care folk and pat came the answer, shareit or xender. I wonder if these apps are still available after the ban. They used to be.

It works by creating a temporary access point out of the android device that the iPhone connects to and the file copies over.

Though he says S22 suffers due to the small battery. IN theory, there is a way around that if you can root it, then limit CPU speed as described here for the Exynos S20FE. Roll your own aggressive power saver mode.

I've never rooted my phone and I won't be able to afford it bricking due to some reason, especially if I've sent so much money on s22 :(

Apple does this deliberately. They want to make sure you don't leave and they are bloody good at doing that to most folks and infact people tend to go deep with adding one after the other device. I guess some people don't buy iPhone to avoid this, they don't want to end up in a situation where they feel it is almost impossible to come out of. It is not like they hate iPhone, they just don't want to commit because they think that if they become very comfortable with it, it may be difficult to switch back to android.

If itts completely one-off, just use telegram

BT for file transfer was ok in the 00s when file sizes were small.. doing that now will be ultra painful.

for Peer to peer, Native OS file sharing is baked in - cross platform has always been a pain for all platforms

- if small files/ one off need, just use telegram
- If ongoing need, use either a cloud service or a known 3rd party app like PhotoSync

If itts completely one-off, just use telegram

BT for file transfer was ok in the 00s when file sizes were small.. doing that now will be ultra painful.

for Peer to peer, Native OS file sharing is baked in - cross platform has always been a pain for all platforms

- If ongoing need, use either a cloud service or a known 3rd party app like PhotoSync

I have no clue why I didn't think of telegram. :banghead::banghead:

It is not a big restriction. AirDrop works superbly for Apple devices but then any other app supporting WiFi Direct can be used cross-platform (like Xender, though ShareIt has been banned). Had read a long time back that Bluetooth was never implemented as a file transfer mechanism on IPhone because of its security risks which is also justified in several whitepapers. Apple might go a bit overboard with security and privacy but they sell that as a feature, so it appeals to those who use it.

Also, I root my Android devices that I don't access for any banking or work related stuff, but recommending that as a general option is a bad idea, especially when several Google Play store apps in recent months have been using root exploits when available.
Thought you had some issues with installing apps on the tablet because WhatsApp to Signal has been a common use case for me as well between groups.

Last edited:
Was wondering why you didn't use Telegram. I use it extensively for all my inter-device exchange of content, be it android or ipad or Windows. Have telegram in all my devices, and upload to my saved messages, whatever document or photo or file I need in another device. :)

Apple does this deliberately. They want to make sure you don't leave and they are bloody good at doing that to most folks and infact people tend to go deep with adding one after the other device. I guess some people don't buy iPhone to avoid this, they don't want to end up in a situation where they feel it is almost impossible to come out of. It is not like they hate iPhone, they just don't want to commit because they think that if they become very comfortable with it, it may be difficult to switch back to android.
Take face time. Not available on other platforms. If you don't insist on using cross-platform tools then everybody has to transition over to iPhone. I'd not be surprised if that's how a lot of kids ended up with iPhones.

This is called vendor lock-in.

Now if you add more Apple devices to the mix you can take advantage of the integration which they achieve through proprietary means.

Sammy is trying to do the same thing by creating their own ecosystem but you still have the option to use their software on other devices with some limitations.

I'm deciding whether I should replace google keep with Samsung notes and I don't think that is a good idea. You can't easily access Samsung notes on a laptop say the way you still can through a browser with Keep.
It is not a big restriction. AirDrop works superbly for Apple devices but then any other app supporting WiFi Direct can be used cross-platform (like Xender, though ShareIt has been banned). Had read a long time back that Bluetooth was never implemented as a file transfer mechanism on IPhone because of its security risks which is also justified in several whitepapers. Apple might go a bit overboard with security and privacy but they sell that as a feature, so it appeals to those who use it.
Airdrop requires an access point. If you don't have that then a phone-to-phone is simpler.

I remember a friend telling me just use WhatsApp ? I had to explain to this former techie that WhatsApp reduces every photo to 2MP AND requires an external network.

If you do have an access point then the airdrop or Feem that I use is easier. Feem does not retain directory structure though unless you get the pro version. Everything is dumped into one folder. I'm using the app myphoneexplorer these days. Easier to work with phones using a laptop.

Samsung has a file-sharing app but it only works with other Samsungs. LG to Samsung I end up using Feem with the home wifi. Even though both support wifi direct I've never been successful and getting a file transfer using the stock wifi settings of either phone. Both see the other phone when setting up but the transfer does not start for some reason.

Always needed a third-party app to do the transfer. Which makes it no better than transferring to an iPhone. Just different.

Also, I root my Android devices that I don't access for any banking or work related stuff, but recommending that as a general option is a bad idea, especially when several Google Play store apps in recent months have been using root exploits when available.
People claim to use banking apps with magisk. I'm just putting out options here.

There is a risk associated. The question is whether it can be managed. Maybe with more experienced people.

I don't use any banking apps on my phone because only one account per sim card is allowed. The setup I have sends SMS from multiple accounts if any transactions occur. All you need to know is when credit or debit occurs. Payment can be made through most apps as is. Anything more gets done on the PC.
Of course which is why apps like shareit and xender use Wifi. Transfer a gig or two of videos and photos in minutes. In original resolution.

Telegram is becoming more and more relevant these days.
I've never rooted my phone and I won't be able to afford it bricking due to some reason, especially if I've sent so much money on s22 :(
If you can get this compact business out of your head. You can save money and stick with what you have. No need for the S22. Unless you have to have a new phone. I'd always go with the plus variant just for the battery.

I don't get why it's a problem these days with 19 and even 21/9 aspect phones. I much prefer the 16:9 aspect as it contained more across but have to put up with this new aspect. I'm sure I will drop such a phone less than the LG V20.

Last edited:
Take face time. Not available on other platforms. If you don't insist on using cross-platform tools then everybody has to transition over to iPhone. I'd not be surprised if that's how a lot of kids ended up with iPhones.

This is called vendor lock-in.

Now if you add more Apple devices to the mix you can take advantage of the integration which they achieve through proprietary means.

Sammy is trying to do the same thing by creating their own ecosystem but you still have the option to use their software on other devices with some limitations.

I'm deciding whether I should replace google keep with Samsung notes and I don't think that is a good idea. You can't easily access Samsung notes on a laptop say the way you still can through a browser with Keep.

Airdrop requires an access point. If you don't have that then a phone-to-phone is simpler.

I remember a friend telling me just use WhatsApp ? I had to explain to this former techie that WhatsApp reduces every photo to 2MP AND requires an external network.

If you do have an access point then the airdrop or Feem that I use is easier. Feem does not retain directory structure though unless you get the pro version. Everything is dumped into one folder. I'm using the app myphoneexplorer these days. Easier to work with phones using a laptop.

Samsung has a file-sharing app but it only works with other Samsungs. LG to Samsung I end up using Feem with the home wifi. Even though both support wifi direct I've never been successful and getting a file transfer using the stock wifi settings of either phone. Both see the other phone when setting up but the transfer does not start for some reason.

Always needed a third-party app to do the transfer. Which makes it no better than transferring to an iPhone. Just different.

People claim to use banking apps with magisk. I'm just putting out options here.

There is a risk associated. The question is whether it can be managed. Maybe with more experienced people.

I don't use any banking apps on my phone because only one account per sim card is allowed. The setup I have sends SMS from multiple accounts if any transactions occur. All you need to know is when credit or debit occurs. Payment can be made through most apps as is. Anything more gets done on the PC.

Of course which is why apps like shareit and xender use Wifi. Transfer a gig or two of videos and photos in minutes. In original resolution.

Telegram is becoming more and more relevant these days.

If you can get this compact business out of your head. You can save money and stick with what you have. No need for the S22. Unless you have to have a new phone. I'd always go with the plus variant just for the battery.

I don't get why it's a problem these days with 19 and even 21/9 aspect phones. I much prefer the 16:9 aspect as it contained more across but have to put up with this new aspect. I'm sure I will drop such a phone less than the LG V20.
Cross-selling is what any merchant intends to do and Apple does it best but benefits from execution that somehow others struggle with. Again, no one should get invested in an ecosystem than they need to.

To clarify, Airdrop does not require a separate access point and is seamless between Apple devices. Apple has admitted to limiting apps and features to lock-in users to an ecosystem, simply because opening them up would benefit other companies, something that Google is trying so hard with iMessage after their zillion failures to build a proper messaging app. On the other hand, we have seen with BBM that exclusivity alone is not enough if you cannot keep prodiving value to your users.

I did use Magisk with the other modules to hide root access from my work apps and it of course works. But that is only fooling the root detection in those apps. It does not negate the fact that malware has been repeatedly creeping up in Play Store apps themselves and some are even able to silently leverage root access, making things worse.

My mother's phone broke down and she feels comfortable with my oneplus8t. She doesn't want a new phone. Once i hand over my phone to her, I'll need a new phone.

I'd like a compact phone. It feels more comfortable than the current device i have. I've tried iphone 13 and s22 in the store and the handling has been a pleasant experience. If not for the compact requirement, id consider the moto edge 30 pro - hearing good things about it.

Cross-selling is what any merchant intends to do and Apple does it best but benefits from execution that somehow others struggle with. Again, no one should get invested in an ecosystem than they need to.

To clarify, Airdrop does not require a separate access point and is seamless between Apple devices. Apple has admitted to limiting apps and features to lock-in users to an ecosystem, simply because opening them up would benefit other companies, something that Google is trying so hard with iMessage after their zillion failures to build a proper messaging app. On the other hand, we have seen with BBM that exclusivity alone is not enough if you cannot keep prodiving value to your users.

I did use Magisk with the other modules to hide root access from my work apps and it of course works. But that is only fooling the root detection in those apps. It does not negate the fact that malware has been repeatedly creeping up in Play Store apps themselves and some are even able to silently leverage root access, making things worse.
i still don’t get the logic behind the much bandied ”lock-in”
Not creating /releasing apps for other platforms is not exactly kosher or a great thing from a consumer pov but can hardly be termed lock-in.

the user has a choice upfront and that’s the reason why (e.g) no one really uses iMessage in India .

A lock in to me is something that you can’t exit , or difficult to exit , despite wanting to - once you start using said service (And had no means of knowing this upfront)
google did exactly that with google photos after disabling the ability to keep photos locally synchronised ..but somehow no one terms that a lock-in :huh:

i still don’t get the logic behind the much bandied ”lock-in”
Not creating /releasing apps for other platforms is not exactly kosher or a great thing from a consumer pov but can hardly be termed lock-in.

the user has a choice upfront and that’s the reason why (e.g) no one really uses iMessage in India .

A lock in to me is something that you can’t exit , or difficult to exit , despite wanting to - once you start using said service (And had no means of knowing this upfront)
google did exactly that with google photos after disabling the ability to keep photos locally synchronised ..but somehow no one terms that a lock-in :huh:
It is a lock-in of users using those apps to the platform, not a customer lock-in per se. Strategically, Apple will lose more than gain by opening up.

On the other hand, Google needs to reach out as much as possible to serve ads. It is also a joke that people think Google is open when in fact it is trying to track 24x7 through Google Play Services, in addition to more tracking from the device manufacturers. I had switched to microG in my earlier device and the difference in data collection is astounding.

At the end of the day, none of the companies are good guys or worth rooting for. One needs to find what works best for them.

My mother's phone broke down and she feels comfortable with my oneplus8t. She doesn't want a new phone. Once i hand over my phone to her, I'll need a new phone.

I'd like a compact phone. It feels more comfortable than the current device i have. I've tried iphone 13 and s22 in the store and the handling has been a pleasant experience.
The battery on the iphone 13 is only slightly better than the S22 and lower than what you were used to with the 8T
If not for the compact requirement, id consider the moto edge 30 pro - hearing good things about it.
The battery on the moto isn't better than the S22.

Only the S22+ matches your 8T

When you get a new phone you at least hope that the battery will keep up and not be a step back.

The battery on the iphone 13 is only slightly better than the S22 and lower than what you were used to with the 8T

When you get a new phone you at least hope that the battery will keep up and not be a step back.
That's the challenge I'm facing now. The phones which tick mark my requirements are mostly out of budget. So may have to compromise in some form or the other.

The good thing going for the moto phone is its comparatively lesser price.

Between and android device and iOS device, do you think comparing batteries is right?

Between and android device and iOS device, do you think comparing batteries is right?
They use their own methodology for endurance which may or may not be applicable to most.

iPhone is great in terms of battery life for regular usage like browsing or watching videos but it starts slipping for more intensive tasks like calls and gaming.

Attachments

• gsmarena_344.jpg
    gsmarena_344.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 58
  • gsmarena_224.jpg
    gsmarena_224.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 57
They use their own methodology for endurance which may or may not be applicable to most.

iPhone is great in terms of battery life for regular usage like browsing or watching videos but it starts slipping for more intensive tasks like calls and gaming.
Thanks for clarification. I didn't click link and most places compare mAh to mAh.

Back