Emulating iOS on Android

Between and android device and iOS device, do you think comparing batteries is right?
Why not? it's the same testing methodology from the same company.

As far as I know, iPhones have good standby. Standby testing has strict requirements. The phone has to be left alone without touching for a minimum of 6 hours.

After charging to full If you leave your iPhone alone for eight hours how much % does it lose?
They use their own methodology for endurance which may or may not be applicable to most.

iPhone is great in terms of battery life for regular usage like browsing or watching videos but it starts slipping for more intensive tasks like calls and gaming.
It's even worse with the iPhoneSE '20 & '22 models

Last edited:
Why not? it's the same testing methodology from the same company.

As far as I know, iPhones have good standby. Standby testing has strict requirements. The phone has to be left alone without touching for a minimum of 6 hours.

After charging to full If you leave your iPhone alone for eight hours how much % does it lose?

It's even worse with the iPhoneSE '20 & '22 models

I know it first hand because I had a SE. I have a 12 Mini now that gets through the day for my usage. The smaller battery size in iPhone starts telling when you push it but the standby and normal usage drain is far better than Android because the SoC is more efficient for normal tasks and iOS is a bit strict on background activities.

The battery quality too is better in the sense that I have been able to keep mine at 100% battery health after 9 months with proper charging techniques. MagSafe battery pack has been a bit of game changer on the 12 mini as it is easy to carry in pocket and charge on the go.

It is not the end of the world but you certainly cannot expect to get as much battery life with half the capacity, despite how efficiently everything is designed. It does make the device itself very light and ergonomic.

I know it first hand because I had a SE. I have a 12 Mini now that gets through the day for my usage. The smaller battery size in iPhone starts telling when you push it but the standby and normal usage drain is far better than Android because the SoC is more efficient for normal tasks and iOS is a bit strict on background activities.
So tell me what your drain is then. Test it. Charge to full. Leave the phone alone for 6-8 hours untouched. How much battery lost?

So tell me what your drain is then. Test it. Charge to full. Leave the phone alone for 6-8 hours untouched. How much battery lost?
I was using it until somewhere close to 3 am, so may be 5-6% for a 12 mini over 6-7 hours. I don't charge beyond 80% but if you do charge to 100%, it will drop even less because of how iOS calibrates the battery, so in that sense checking percentage drop is pointless, especially when you consider different battery capacities.

Battery 12M.jpeg

I was using it until somewhere close to 3 am, so may be 5-6% for a 12 mini over 6-7 hours. I don't charge beyond 80% but if you do charge to 100%, it will drop even less because of how iOS calibrates the battery, so in that sense checking percentage drop is pointless, especially when you consider different battery capacities.

View attachment 140615
It's not pointless if you compare with others of the same capacity or if you are comparing with your own phone from a month back and keeping track

5-6% over 6-7h means a standby drain of a little over 1%/hour. That's not bad but ideally, it should be half that. You want to be around 0.5%/h

Are you using face unlock? this requires the camera to be on all the time. So more drain than without.

Not always possible depending on how often you have things updating in the background or apps that are misbehaving but doable with discipline.

My current S20FE hovers around 0.4-0.5%/h. It will likely rise with time if some apps misbehave.

On airplane mode, it's 0.2%/h. This is just a baseline of the ROM and shows Sammy has done a great job optimising it.

It goes without saying if you have great signal you will have good standby, I never see that.

Sometimes it's good but most often it's just moderate and at times even poor.

This is about getting the phone to go to sleep and not get disturbed over unimportant things. Some people manage to get the phone to sleep even when walking around. That kind of motion generally wakes up the phone as the motion sensor is being disturbed. Yet you aren't using the phone so ideal is it should ignore this.

I suppose you will say that the mini's battery is half that of the s20fe so a 1% drain in effect does correspond to 0.5%.

Well, then the reverse is also true. You can get as good a standby on Android with care. By that I mean it isn't easy and needs constant monitoring.

Last edited:
It's not pointless if you compare with others of the same capacity or if you are comparing with your own phone from a month back and keeping track

5-6% over 6-7h means a standby drain of a little over 1%/hour. That's not bad but ideally, it should be half that. You want to be around 0.5%/h

Are you using face unlock? this requires the camera to be on all the time. So more drain than without.

Not always possible depending on how often you have things updating in the background or apps that are misbehaving but doable with discipline.

My current S20FE hovers around 0.4-0.5%/h. It will likely rise with time if some apps misbehave.

On airplane mode, it's 0.2%/h. This is just a baseline of the ROM and shows Sammy has done a great job optimising it.

It goes without saying if you have great signal you will have good standby, I never see that.

Sometimes it's good but most often it's just moderate and at times even poor.

This is about getting the phone to go to sleep and not get disturbed over unimportant things. Some people manage to get the phone to sleep even when walking around. That kind of motion generally wakes up the phone as the motion sensor is being disturbed. Yet you aren't using the phone so ideal is it should ignore this.

I suppose you will say that the mini's battery is half that of the s20fe so a 1% drain in effect does correspond to 0.5%.

Well, then the reverse is also true. You can get as good a standby on Android with care. By that I mean it isn't easy and needs constant monitoring.
The percentages can be deceptive because as I said, if I charge my phone to 100%, it will still be around 99% overnight because of how Apple calibrates the battery at the higher levels (as do others).

I am using a Tab S7 Plus and it simply has horrible battery standby and usage stats, despite the fact that I have forced it to 60 Hz when not in use. I have not rooted it yet because it is still under warranty. However, in the past I have done a lot of stuff with other Samsung devices like underclocking and even switching to microG. I am not doing an iOS vs Android thing here because I use both, but I still prefer iOS as a daily driver because it is a lot more efficient, irrespective of your take.

Last edited:
The percentages can be deceptive because as I said, if I charge my phone to 100%, it will still be around 99% overnight because of how Apple calibrates the battery at the higher levels (as do others).
That means apple's battery gauge isn't linear through the range. Is that what you mean?

I did a simple test where I looped a youtube video from 100% to phone shut down. And noticed that duration of every decade was similar on my phone.
I am using a Tab S7 Plus and it simply has horrible battery standby and usage stats, despite the fact that I have forced it to 60 Hz when not in use.
Do the same standby test as with your mini and tell us how much it lost after 6-8 hours.

Tab S7+ has got the same SD865 as the S20FE. Presumably, you don't have cellular on this one so its just wifi.

Let's see what difference a 10k+mah battery makes. I used to avg 7-8 on my galaxy note 10.1 back in the day and it did not have an amoled screen.

I have not rooted it yet because it is still under warranty. However, in the past I have done a lot of stuff with other Samsung devices like underclocking and even switching to microG.
You should not have to root anything. The stock ROM should be quite optimised as is.

I am not doing an iOS vs Android thing here because I use both, but I still prefer iOS as a daily driver because it is a lot more efficient, irrespective of your take.
This is about testing out your theory. That battery size affects standby and is irrelevant.

If the S20FE has double the size battery of the mini and the S7Tab+ is double the S20FE then what should the correct standby drain for the tab be?

Last edited:
That means apple's battery gauge isn't linear through the range. Is that what you mean?

I did a simple test where I looped a youtube video from 100% to phone shut down. And noticed that duration of every decade was similar on my phone.

Do the same standby test as with your mini and tell us how much it lost after 6-8 hours.

Tab S7+ has got the same SD865 as the S20FE. Presumably, you don't have cellular on this one so its just wifi.

Let's see what difference a 10k+mah battery makes. I used to avg 7-8 on my galaxy note 10.1 back in the day and it did not have an amoled screen.

You should not have to root anything. The stock ROM should be quite optimised as is.

This is about testing out your theory. That battery size affects standby and is irrelevant.

If the S20FE has double the size battery of the mini and the S7Tab+ is double the S20FE then what should the correct standby drain for the tab be?
My S7 Plus is the LTE one, so network drain also plays a part, though I of course don't use it for calls. It has the higher clocked 865 Plus, so that would also impact battery life. I have Accubattery installed and the main drain for the S7 Plus is the screen which drains 10-12% per hour on usage. Standby discharge can range from 0.5-2% per hour which is too wide. This is with forcing the screen to 60 Hz when not touched (since Samsung never added refresh rate switching to this for whatever reason) and with disabling apps over adb.

Anyway, I am not here to prove a point. I use both and I am happy to have a compact phone for regular usage and a large tablet for media consumption, so both devices are great in what they do.

My S7 Plus is the LTE one, so network drain also plays a part, though I of course don't use it for calls. It has the higher clocked 865 Plus, so that would also impact battery life.
So it has a sim and you use it for data then?
I have Accubattery installed and the main drain for the S7 Plus is the screen which drains 10-12% per hour on usage.
That's not bad for SOT in general use. 7-8h if not more until dead.
Standby discharge can range from 0.5-2% per hour which is too wide. This is with forcing the screen to 60 Hz when not touched (since Samsung never added refresh rate switching to this for whatever reason) and with disabling apps over adb.
It is wide so why not try the latest beta of BBS and post an idle log for the S7 tab. Just three adb commands to get it going. This is the only way you will understand what is going on under the hood. Once the run completes you need to save the log immediately when you screen on as SOT has to be under a minute to correctly analyse the log.

Accubattery is a toy in comparison and more to keep track of battery longevity as in lifespan
Anyway, I am not here to prove a point. I use both and I am happy to have a compact phone for regular usage and a large tablet for media consumption, so both devices are great in what they do.
The comment I want to address is this 'checking percentage drop is pointless, especially when you consider different battery capacities'

For idle drain only.

At first glance, it seems to make sense. Drain % from a 10kmah battery has to be less than a 2k mah battery. But if you look at it further...

Does it imply the drain on a phone will progressively increase as the battery runs down?

Regardless of the battery size, for a given device, if drain at 100% is 1%/h then when you get to 50% it is 2%/h and at 25% left it will be 4%/h. All things being equal.

That can't be right :)

Last edited:
Back