Encounter with Noobs !!!!

^ Reminds me of one of our classmates in college, who got a brand new Santro from his parents on - wait for it - clearing FIRST year on the second attempt!

agantuk said:
^ Reminds me of one of our classmates in college, who got a brand new Santro from his parents on - wait for it - clearing FIRST year on the second attempt!

Haha yeah have seen a couple like those in my college too. :p

Unix n00b story:

During some training we were using Unix to do all our stuffs. It was module-by-module training cum project (final project built from all the previous modules)
In vi editor we normally have the habit of saving using "wq!" - (the ! for forced quit)
And by slip of finger my friend typed "wq~" in vi - and hence got a file named ~ (tilde)
Later since that file (~) was unnecessary, he deleted that by the command "rm -f ~"
Well guess what - he just deleted his home directory and all the contents in it (that was 2 months project stuffs without any backup, thats too just 4 days before the final) :p

mathrisk said:
Unix n00b story:

During some training we were using Unix to do all our stuffs. It was module-by-module training cum project (final project built from all the previous modules)

In vi editor we normally have the habit of saving using "wq!" - (the ! for forced quit)

And by slip of finger my friend typed "wq~" in vi - and hence got a file named ~ (tilde)

Later since that file (~) was unnecessary, he deleted that by the command "rm -f ~"

Well guess what - he just deleted his home directory and all the contents in it (that was 2 months project stuffs without any backup, thats too just 4 days before the final) :p

Dont you need rm -rf ~ for that?

mehrotra.akash said:
Dont you need rm -rf ~ for that?

You need to escape character the ~ (tilde).

So the delete command should be as "rm -f \~"

edit:

Ooops got you wrong.

Yeah -r should be there.

Actually we had some aliases already set into .profile at the time we get our own login in the server.

The actual command he used was "rmf ~" - here rmf was the alias (I don't remember if it had -r option, but I guess it had)

yup i got th reviews from most of the gamers using my mod that using my mod tranforms their gameplay as ultra realistic and more like gaming in ps3 glad to her it cause my mod is based on the reality synthesizer chip installed in ps3 that renders the real based grafix...

Umm...what?

First week of college.. faculty still waiting for roster.. i went to the comp lab to play pinball.

Another student comes, and sits at the next terminal.. waits for a cpl of minutes and asks me "Bhai ye tv chalu kar"

agantuk said:

My classmate's parents got him a bride after his first year.

And he never showed up after he distributed the invitation cards in the college.

(UP village lad.. so kinda obvious as well i am guessing, but it was a shocker for everybody.. )

This has happened with me:

I716a.png

once I had looked into 'Recent Documents' and found it empty.

realized, my roomie was sitting in my PC few hours ago.

I guessed, just to clean his footprint he'd wiped out the folder. but of course forgot to clear firefox history.

ctrl+h showed all p**n p**n and p**n - well...........smart a$$ n00b.

A female in office wanted to use one of our corporate servers. Since it was in some other network zone she had to give the servers IP address instead of the hostname. She gives the ip as "10.55.55.55.ourdomain.com". As expected it doesn't work and she goes blah blah my problem is not resolved how dare you resolve the ticket.

I go remove the trailing domain space and boom it starts working.... she literally starts batting eyelids... I say no thanks and walk away :|

djmykey said:
A female in office wanted to use one of our corporate servers. Since it was in some other network zone she had to give the servers IP address instead of the hostname. She gives the ip as "10.55.55.55.ourdomain.com". As expected it doesn't work and she goes blah blah my problem is not resolved how dare you resolve the ticket.

I go remove the trailing domain space and boom it starts working.... she literally starts batting eyelids... I say no thanks and walk away :|

:huh::huh::huh::S

Back