English TV series discussion

Re: Please suggest an english TV series

Bluffmaster said:
Are you serious? Sheldon is probably one of the best character you will ever encounter in a comdey show. And Penny is currently the second hottest chick in a TV show after Sarah of Chuck. Leonard is boring and Koothrapalli very inconsistent. Howard is strictly ok. If it was not for sheldon and penny this show would have failed miserably.
Sheldon has some witty lines in his bucket. Although he tends to go overboard on a lot of occasions & thus becomes repetitive. But hats off to his dialogue delivery, which is spot on, he gets full marks there. I can't imagine people having to memorise those insanely complex lines for every episode. That is where Jim Parson excels.

Koothrappali is a douche. Let's face it, he is absolutely bland with his humour & acts like a capital prick at times; I resent his character. With Leonard, I'm completely neutral. He has a good combination with Sheldon, although fails to provide proper expressions & gives that same shitty squinting look.

Penny, I have to admit, is very refreshing. She is complements properly with every character on the show. Has a good screen presence & is equally hilarious. I wouldn't say she is hottest or even second hottest chick on the show, but is good enough for the show. I adore her whenever she starts singing the "Soft Kitty" lullaby to Sheldon. ;)

Howard, in my honest opinion, is hands down the saviour of the show. He is someone who is consistent with his dialogues, his comical expressions, idiotic dressing style etc. The funny thing is he tried to act like a "ladies man" & often ends up making a fool out of himself. It's just funny to watch him trying so hard.

jake from 2 n half men owns any character in tbbt (i do like tbbt also a lot)

from jakes script 'car + animal = carnimal'. hahahahahahahhahaha

spindoctor said:
mid season shows are usually shorter, but even they last 10-13 episodes or so. southland was just way too short.

i really did think it was just about average. pretty gritty and realistic, but they didn't have enough time to flesh out the characters. there was an episode in which the 2 cops (the rookie and the guy with the drug problem) were missing altogether, which was pretty strange. otherwise i thought the characters were pretty one dimensional... right at the end of the 7th episode, i wasn't even shocked or taken aback by what happened. it was like... "ok, big deal. so what?". no emotional investment with the characters does that.

Actually they have invested in too many central characters, So the two were missing as others got the central story that episode (The two cop friends, one with stupid wife and other spanish guy with daughter issues)..

IMO its not the problem as long as the story line is consistent with their previous episodes. Yes characters going missing breaks the momentum. Besides its not supposed to be convential Drama to give substantial Air Times to its star characters.

I liked the show, partly may be as i watched first 6 eps back to back as I don't enjoy watching single eps at a time..

Nice that its been renewed for 13 more eps..

Run through 3 nd a half seasons of entourage in like 2 days :gap:

its a really really well made show

stalker said:
Run through 3 nd a half seasons of entourage in like 2 days :gap:
its a really really well made show

entourage kicks ass! :eek:hyeah:

ari gold is simply the funniest character on television right now.

spindoctor said:
entourage kicks ass! :eek:hyeah:

ari gold is simply the funniest character on television right now.

:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: Agree wholeheartedly. He has an awesome character and pulls it off brilliantly :hap2:

stalker said:
:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: Agree wholeheartedly. He has an awesome character and pulls it off brilliantly :hap2:

jeremy piven (the actor who plays ari gold) has been nominated for both the golden globes and emmy awards for every season of entourage so far. i believe he has won 3 emmys and 2 globes for it. the guy is just brilliant in the role.

^^ def. check out the 1998 version of Cupid with Jeremy Piven then.

log 1 = 0 said:
Actually they have invested in too many central characters, So the two were missing as others got the central story that episode (The two cop friends, one with stupid wife and other spanish guy with daughter issues)..

Try watching Homicide. And with seven seasons there is no lack of episodes either.

guys now show is as cool as ENTOURAGE it doesnt have any fancy dialogues that other sitcoms have its really cool and has brilliant charachter developement iam on season 4 and it just keeps on getting better :D

just finished watching day break. thanks to the guys who recommended it... it was definitely a good series. action packed, interesting plot twists and in general, very tight scripting and story telling.

i can also kind of understand why it only had one season... it's easy to follow when you watch the entire season back to back but watching an episode a week, the story would get stretched across 3-4 months and would be less coherent.

overall, the show is worth watching. the movie 'groundhog day' has a similar concept if anyone is interested.

to the guys who watched it, i have a couple of questions (spoilers from here on) -- how does the day finally change? just because that gang member hit him on the head pretty hard? that seemed a little weak to me. also, right at the end, they show the other guy who was stuck in the same day with the detective (his name was jared). what was his significance in the story finally?

In case of Daybreak, From what i think,

1) Day did not change because something was out of line and so even after killing of Garza's muderers something was missing. (Thats when Hopper flips out and goes for vacations) so It seems he was suppose to CHANGE the day and as he was successful in CHANGING the day, finally there was a new day.

2) Other guys was just shown for the sake of plot. Midseason everyone starts feeling that what if it was just an illusion, so sorta twist or new story or something. Just to show that plots were interconnected. Also even Jared seems to be looking for someone i.e the doctor who presumably killed his brother. But after Hopper helps him through, may be something changed for him.

I was actually hoping for the 2nd season as they had left the ending with a twist as in the Detective goes missing, a decent plot could be made out of that opening. But anyways maybe I wanted it too bad.

Fact : This series was cancelled after 6 episodes ;). After 3-4 months rest of eps were aired as webisodes online. And finally after more than 2yrs DVD came out.

Finished watching Entourage's first 5 seasons. Thank god its been renewed for a sixth.

Any other suggestions along the same lines?

stalker said:
Finished watching Entourage's first 5 seasons. Thank god its been renewed for a sixth.

Any other suggestions along the same lines?

watched it so fast. hehe

what else did i put ? did i put coupling?

you can also try californication

^ Already watched Coupling. And nope, you din't gimme Californication. Started watching Rome though.

Tried Sarah Connor chronicles and Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but found both quite meh...am going through Entourage, Arrested Development, Lost, 24.

Amazing shows, especially the last 3 :D

Ambar said:
Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but found both quite meh.

no offense or disrespect. but frankly speaking you need to grow up to enjoy its always sunny. atleast cross the age of 20. hehe

stalker said:
^ Already watched Coupling. And nope, you din't gimme Californication. Started watching Rome though.

you asked for very limited stuff when i told u take more shows.

Back