English TV series discussion

spindoctor

Skilled
Feb 19, 2006
Re: Please suggest an english TV series

log 1 = 0 said:
Another one of my favourite shows - Raising the Bar(Courtroom Drama) is starting its Season 2 from June 8.. :clap:

Anyone who followed it during Season - 1 ?

i watched season 1, it was a pretty decent show. not the greatest, but definitely watchable seeing that choices will be so limited during the summer. the character of jerry kellerman gets a little irritating sometimes though. and melissa sagemiller is a hottie :eek:hyeah:

dipen01

Skilled
Aug 14, 2005

Ofcourse its not the topnotch... But I am a huge Courtroom Drama fan so even average courtroom shows are hit with me. Definitely Sagemiller is awesome, but I find the another lady (married with doctor husband) who joined as colleague of Kellerman hotter, more so cuter :bleh:

These days I am looking for a good action/thriller show.. And when i browse through the archives, I find that either I have watched the show or its saved for Rainy Day (more like Rainy year :bleh:)..

Watched couple of sitcoms.. "The Class", "In Case of Emergency", "Kitchen Confidential" Nothing great but passed the time..

Edit: Stumbled upon something,

CambridgeSpies2003156205_f.jpg

Plot
Harold "Kim" Philby, Anthony Blunt, Guy Burgess, and Donald Maclean were four bright, intelligent, and ambitious young men who attended Cambridge University in the early '30s. They all seemed to have promising futures ahead of them and, indeed, all four distinguished themselves in their careers. Burgess and Maclean became respected diplomats, Philby rose to be a senior officer in British intelligence, and Blunt was a well-known art historian. But the four men shared a secret -- certain that Great Britain would fall during the Second World War, and equally convinced that Russia held the world's best and only hope of defeating the Nazi juggernaut, the students became secret agents for the KGB, the Soviet Union's intelligence force, and the former schoolmates worked together as agents for the U.S.S.R. well into the height of the Cold War -- until they were discovered in 1963. Cambridge Spies is a made-for-TV drama produced by the BBC which dramatizes the true story of these unlikely secret agents, exploring how they worked together, and what finally brought their secret lives into the spotlight. It stars Samuel West as Blunt, Toby Stephens as Philby, Tom Hollander as Burgess, and Rupert Penry-Jones as Maclean.

Info:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0346223/

Videos:
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=Cambridge+Spies&search_type=
----------------------------
Thinking of getting it ;)

spindoctor

Skilled
Feb 19, 2006

log 1 = 0 said:
Ofcourse its not the topnotch... But I am a huge Courtroom Drama fan so even average courtroom shows are hit with me. Definitely Sagemiller is awesome, but I find the another lady (married with doctor husband) who joined as colleague of Kellerman hotter, more so cuter :bleh:

the thing is, the show premiered early fall last year. that was the time when there were a whole bunch of shows airing as well, so it was 'just another show' to watch. like you said, it's not top notch, but definitely watchable. btw, melissa sagemiller was part of the cast of sleeper cell as well (i posted about it on a previous page) and you can see a lot more of her on that show, if you catch my drift ;)

dipen01

Skilled
Aug 14, 2005

^^
Finished 'Sleeper Cell' 2yrs back :bleh:

Probably when it was airing :)

Any NCIS fans ?
I watched 5 straight seasons of it last year..

whatsinaname

Skilled
Apr 18, 2007

log 1 = 0 said:
^^
Finished 'Sleeper Cell' 2yrs back :bleh:

Probably when it was airing :)

Any NCIS fans ?
I watched 5 straight seasons of it last year..

Gibbs is awesome! Have a few episodes left in this season. I hear there is going to be a spin-off (NCIS:Los Angeles or some such crap). Won't be the same without Gibbs, so only NCIS it will be.

dipen01

Skilled
Aug 14, 2005

^
I havent watched any ep of this season... yet!! ;)

After its finale is aired, then I'll start watching :p

Gibbs is great but DiNozzo is truly awesome with his tongue in cheek humour, sarcasm etc. He is able to continue it for straight 6 seasons with same attitude. But honestly all the characters are pretty good. I liked Caitlin (she was killed after S2 or S3, but Zeva is cute ;) )

I havent heard much about its spinoff. But a series named JAG was its prequel..

Vij

Skilled
May 22, 2006

Has anyone seen journeyman. Nice time traveller series. But got scrapped after just 13 episodes. Is there any other similar time travel TV series?

dipen01

Skilled
Aug 14, 2005

Yes Journeyman started slowly, but after few eps, it became quite interesting. Got quite pissed when it wasnt renewed :|

whatsinaname

Skilled
Apr 18, 2007

log 1 = 0 said:
^
I havent watched any ep of this season... yet!! ;)

After its finale is aired, then I'll start watching :p

Gibbs is great but DiNozzo is truly awesome with his tongue in cheek humour, sarcasm etc. He is able to continue it for straight 6 seasons with same attitude. But honestly all the characters are pretty good. I liked Caitlin (she was killed after S2 or S3, but Zeva is cute ;) )

I havent heard much about its spinoff. But a series named JAG was its prequel..

Yeah, Caitlin was a good character. JAG is pretty good as well. (Have seen all 10 seasons) :ashamed: The leads characters have good chemistry, and the female lead looks CUTE.

Ambar

Adept
Aug 15, 2006

Close to finishing 1st season of Entourage and 3rd season of Arrested Development.

I like Entourage, even though its not exactly comedy nor is it tense (these are the only 2 genres i generally like).

AD is a masterpiece of humor :p

spindoctor

Skilled
Feb 19, 2006

vij said:
Has anyone seen journeyman. Nice time traveller series. But got scrapped after just 13 episodes. Is there any other similar time travel TV series?

yep i watched it last year. i thought the concept was pretty good and i was disappointed that they canceled the show. if you're looking for a similar show, try 'quantum leap'... similar story and it had 5 seasons i think.. it was pretty highly regarded. the only problem is that it's about 20 years old now.

Ambar said:
Close to finishing 1st season of Entourage and 3rd season of Arrested Development.

I like Entourage, even though its not exactly comedy nor is it tense (these are the only 2 genres i generally like).

AD is a masterpiece of humor :p

entourage picks up after a few episodes. or let me put it this way, the viewer becomes involved in the lives of the characters... that's when the show really becomes interesting.

Vij

Skilled
May 22, 2006

spindoctor said:
yep i watched it last year. i thought the concept was pretty good and i was disappointed that they canceled the show. if you're looking for a similar show, try 'quantum leap'... similar story and it had 5 seasons i think.. it was pretty highly regarded. the only problem is that it's about 20 years old now.

Hmm heard abt that but 20 years is a long time and i guess it will look dated.

dipen01

Skilled
Aug 14, 2005

whatsinaname said:
Yeah, Caitlin was a good character. JAG is pretty good as well. (Have seen all 10 seasons) :ashamed:

Yeah '10 seasons' was heavy for me so didnt watch JAG. :bleh:

Besides I don't enjoy the drama series older than year 2000, Apart from ones that have awesome stories ( Early Edition comes to the mind)

Aces170

ex-Mod
Mar 16, 2005

Hmm watched a couple of episodes of its Sunny in Philly... and it seems like a good show.. Too bad its a really short series :(

stormblast

Skilled
Mar 27, 2005

Aces170 said:
Hmm watched a couple of episodes of its Sunny in Philly... and it seems like a good show.. Too bad its a really short series :(

yes its short but the best thing is that you can never get bored when u rewatch them. just like seinfeld or curb your enthusiasm

Jasku

Skilled
Apr 27, 2008

Guys this 'Raising the bar' is it on the The Practice /Boston Legal lines?...I really liked the practice.

spindoctor

Skilled
Feb 19, 2006

Jasku said:
Guys this 'Raising the bar' is it on the The Practice /Boston Legal lines?...I really liked the practice.

it's a similar kind of show... in raising the bar, you have a set of friends... some of them work as public defenders, others are prosecuters. so you have a story of how their lives professional and personal lives clash... it has courtroom drama as well. basically, it's not as good/serious as the practice but given your stated preferences, you should check it out.

dipen01

Skilled
Aug 14, 2005

Raising the bar is more of an emotional rollercoaster than courtroom antics - Good Guy gets charged - So defenders fight with prosecutors and most often than not they come on top. Though in the end there are no clear cut villains in the show.

Jasku

Skilled
Apr 27, 2008

spindoctor said:
it's a similar kind of show... in raising the bar, you have a set of friends... some of them work as public defenders, others are prosecuters. so you have a story of how their lives professional and personal lives clash... it has courtroom drama as well. basically, it's not as good/serious as the practice but given your stated preferences, you should check it out.

log 1 = 0 said:
Raising the bar is more of an emotional rollercoaster than courtroom antics - Good Guy gets charged - So defenders fight with prosecutors and most often than not they come on top. Though in the end there are no clear cut villains in the show.

Thanks guys, will definitely check it out

A couple questions, prolly spindoctor will be able to answer em

Why does Curb Your Enthusiasm have only 10 episodes per season, and why only 3 seaons?

spindoctor

Skilled
Feb 19, 2006

Jasku said:
Thanks guys, will definitely check it out

A couple questions, prolly spindoctor will be able to answer em

Why does Curb Your Enthusiasm have only 10 episodes per season, and why only 3 seaons?

Curb your Enthusiasm is produced by and aired on HBO in America. Cable shows (on HBO, Showtime, AMC, USA, TNT) typically have 10-12 episodes per season. On the other hand, the network shows (on NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX) are the ones that can have 20-26 episodes per season. Why this happens is not set in stone... the cable channels are usually pay channels, have lower consumer penetration in general, have lower advertising costs, lower budgets and hence fewer number of episodes per season. Although the lower budget part isn't strictly true... specifically HBO and Showtime shows have very high production values. It's just something that is.

The big networks are opposite and hence can afford more costly seasons... although a new trend is starting to show up recently. Now even some network shows are getting cut down to 16-18 episode seasons (eg. LOST, the next season of Heroes etc.) All this is an attempt to bring down the costs of creating the shows.

Also, Curb your Enthusiasm has already had 6 seasons, and season 7 is in production right now :)