English TV series discussion

Re: Please suggest an english TV series

DarkDefender said:
Has anybody watched - Pushing Daisies ?

Disclaimer - I have, but would like others who did to comment.

pushing daisies was a great show. it had a very tim burton feel to it, and it used to deal with relatively dark content in a unique, colorful and charming way. it's a shame it got cancelled though. it was created by bryan fuller, a very creative person who has unfortunately had 2 other decent shows of his cancelled. if you like pushing daisies, have a look at 'dead like me' and 'wonderfalls'. both by bryan fuller, both cancelled, both pretty good.

I liked the season 1 as the show was kind of unique, and different from what I had watched. The production value of each episode was quite visible. Each frame was like a fantasy reminiscent of the early english elementary books. Quite a quirky one.

Although I kind of lost intrest after the season 1, as plot wasn't getting any more intresting, the usual detective nature of the episode, wasn't any thing I'd look forward to.

But the show as a concept deserves 10 points, The guy sure is creative.

@spindoctor :
Among 'dead like me' and 'wonderfalls' can you suggest which one of the two is worth downloading ? and what is each about ?

DarkDefender said:
I liked the season 1 as the show was kind of unique, and different from what I had watched. The production value of each episode was quite visible. Each frame was like a fantasy reminiscent of the early english elementary books. Quite a quirky one.

Although I kind of lost intrest after the season 1, as plot wasn't getting any more intresting, the usual detective nature of the episode, wasn't any thing I'd look forward to.

But the show as a concept deserves 10 points, The guy sure is creative.

@spindoctor :

Among 'dead like me' and 'wonderfalls' can you suggest which one of the two is worth downloading ? and what is each about ?

season 2 of pushing daisies actually started building a story arc. they were still episodic but there was a backstory that was progressing along pretty nicely, and multiple episodes were linked to each other. it's a shame it got cancelled.

as for dead like me and wonderfalls, i'll link the imdb pages

"Dead Like Me" (2003)

"Wonderfalls" (2004)

both were cancelled, dead like me after 2 seasons, wonderfalls after 1... so they're pretty short.

dead like me is the story of a girl who dies and becomes a grim reaper... she becomes undead, exists in the world of humans and she has to take souls from people who are about to die. it was an ensemble cast of 5-6 major grim reapers and how they go about their jobs, and the episodes always provided interesting insights and commentary about life.

wonderfalls is the story of a young girl who is a shopkeeper in a souvenir store. the souvenir's in the store start 'talking' to her, telling her to do various things that challenge her beliefs and put pressure on her life with her family and boyfriend.

it's a little difficult to explain the essence of the shows but if you liked pushing daisies, then it's a safe bet that you will like these shows. and even if you don't like them too much, they had short runs so not much of your time/bandwidth will get wasted. if you do however end up liking them (like i did) you will feel sad that they got cancelled when other, crappier shows survived much longer.

Wonderfalls was fun light entertainment and both those shows were better than Pushing Daisies imo. I had also checked out Reaper because of similar premise and involvement of Kevin Smith(even though 99% of his films are shit) but it was pretty mediocre.

Freaks and Geeks is another good one btw.

spindoctor said:
dead like me is the story of a girl who dies and becomes a grim reaper... she becomes undead, exists in the world of humans and she has to take souls from people who are about to die. it was an ensemble cast of 5-6 major grim reapers and how they go about their jobs, and the episodes always provided interesting insights and commentary about life.
Dead Like Me sounds interestingly similar to the Death arcs from the Sandman books which were also the parts I most loved.
Gonna check it out.

saumilsingh said:
Dead Like Me sounds interestingly similar to the Death arcs from the Sandman books which were also the parts I most loved.
Gonna check it out.

it's actually not like that. bryan fuller deals with death and the afterlife in an unusual way. the show wasn't depressing in any way... rather a commentary on our lifestyles and how/why we do the things we do. it also had very unique characters playing the major roles.

msg me on gtalk i'll hook you up with some good torrents.

Keane 16 said:
Is anyone following 24 this season? That last episode just absolutely blew me away. :eek: :eek:

I have watched 6 seasons. Hvnt started season 7. Have they introduced anything different?

vij said:
I have watched 6 seasons. Hvnt started season 7. Have they introduced anything different?

They have cut down the phecology, a little. Now the plot seems believable and seems better than last season. I guess, they have brought it down to a personal level this season. Otherwise who knows, Jack Bauer might have even gone to Mars to nab the terrorists.

dipen01 said:
They have cut down the phecology, a little. Now the plot seems believable and seems better than last season. I guess, they have brought it down to a personal level this season. Otherwise who knows, Jack Bauer might have even gone to Mars to nab the terrorists.

Lol. More believable?
Even with the White House being taken over and the President getting smacked across teh face by Juma? :rofl:

Oh, and anyone else notice how President Taylor's makeup and dressing on 24 this season bares a striking resemblance to Hillary Clinton? I'm guessing the creators of 23 were betting on Clinton winning the Presidential elections; plus they already did the black President bit with Palmer. ;)

Back