English TV series discussion

I started watching White Collar sometime ago and i left in the middle when it got a little boring for me. Started watching it sometime ago and i finished Season 3. Now i'm quite eager to watch the Season 4. Is this the last season or has it been called for a 5th season too?

I started watching White Collar sometime ago and i left in the middle when it got a little boring for me. Started watching it sometime ago and i finished Season 3. Now i'm quite eager to watch the Season 4. Is this the last season or has it been called for a 5th season too?

Renew for 5 season

The Wire is a good show but it's not really meant for the Indian viewer. Subtleties like the Baltimore vernacular which a local viewer should appreciate go right over our head.
It might be the most well made cop show out there but the local politics and paperwork wizardry just alienates us all the way on the other side of the world.

Like in Season 2, the show was trying to drive home a point about what it means to be a Stevedore, why they do what they do. And I had to actually look up what a Stevedore is. It's a pretty big culture gap to cross over if one hopes to get inside the mindset of the show.

There was this Hindi show called "Powder". It was a pretty blatant ripoff of The Wire, but it just felt much better simply because it was more culturally relevant to us.
It was also very well made for the most part but the forced romantic angle between the two junior leads started getting on my nerves after a while.

Just finished the last season of "The Shield" i.e. Season 7 yesterday.

What a ride! Has to be one of the most hard-hitting and believable ends I have seen recently. The show went into many dark places that made you squirm in your seat but never overdid it. And it was totally entertaining. All the characters so real and etched out so well, you could imagine them being there.

[Vic is trying to scare a suspect in a third floor apartment]
Vic Mackey: Write what I tell you.
[Vic puts a notepad and a pen in the suspect's hands]
Vic Mackey: L. I. F. E. New word, new word! S. U. X.
[rips off the page and puts it into the lapel pocket of the suspect's shirt, then leads him towards an open window]
Vic Mackey: Looks like you're going to die a bad speller.

:D

Now, have to see Suits S02, The Wire and Breaking Bad - let's see how much time I get :(

PS: Holy shit stalker did you know this? :O :O

The Strike Team was based on the LAPD Rampart Division's corrupt anti-gang unit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampart_scandal
Rampart scandal refers to widespread corruption in the Community Resources Against Street Hoodlums (or CRASH) anti-gang unit of the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) Rampart Division in the late 1990s. More than 70 police officers either assigned to or associated with the Rampart CRASH unit were implicated in some form of misconduct, making it one of the most widespread cases of documented police misconduct in United States history. The convicted offenses include unprovoked shootings, unprovoked beatings, planting of false evidence, framing of suspects, stealing and dealing narcotics, bank robbery, perjury, and the covering up of evidence of these activities.

The New Rampart Police Station
The Rampart Scandal is notable in popular culture because at least three LAPD officers implicated in the scandal were found to be on the payroll of hip-hop mogul Marion "Suge" Knight of Death Row Records, a convicted felon with known ties to the Bloods street gang. Moreover, LAPD investigators alleged Rampart CRASH officers Nino Durden, Rafael Perez and David Mack were involved in the 1997 drive-by murder of recording artist Notorious B.I.G.

The Rampart investigation, based mainly on statements of the admitted corrupt officer (Perez), initially implicated over 70 officers of wrongdoing. Of those officers, enough evidence was found to bring 58 before an internal administrative board. However, of the officers named by Perez, only 24 were actually found to have committed any wrongdoing, with 12 given suspensions of various lengths, 7 forced to resign or retire, and 5 fired. As a result of the probe into falsified evidence and police perjury, 106 prior criminal convictions were overturned. The Rampart Scandal resulted in more than 140 civil lawsuits against the city of Los Angeles, costing the city an estimated $125 million in settlements.

:O

^^ Have heard so much about Dexter from so many of my friends and have seen most of you'll discussing it very animatedly here as well.

Looks like I'll finally get down to watching it once i finish White Collar.

Just finished the last season of "The Shield" i.e. Season 7 yesterday.

What a ride! Has to be one of the most hard-hitting and believable ends I have seen recently. The show went into many dark places that made you squirm in your seat but never overdid it. And it was totally entertaining. All the characters so real and etched out so well, you could imagine them being there.

:D

Now, have to see Suits S02, The Wire and Breaking Bad - let's see how much time I get :(

PS: Holy shit stalker did you know this? :O :O

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampart_scandal

:O

I tried watching an episode when it was aired on AXN,my eyes started aching due to the shaky camera effect its like in every scene the camera is allwas shivering.

I tried watching an episode when it was aired on AXN,my eyes started aching due to the shaky camera effect its like in every scene the camera is allwas shivering.

Umm, I cannot recall seeing that in any episode! Are you sure the voltage wasn't fluctuating? :p

Yes, that's one of the USP of the show. I really like the camera work in The Shield, makes you feel like you're right there in the middle of the action and just observing. The camera work is one of the best according to me, they use a single shot and keep moving in and out of action and on the set zooming in and out without missing a beat, it just looks great.

The Wire is a good show but it's not really meant for the Indian viewer. Subtleties like the Baltimore vernacular which a local viewer should appreciate go right over our head.
It might be the most well made cop show out there but the local politics and paperwork wizardry just alienates us all the way on the other side of the world.

Like in Season 2, the show was trying to drive home a point about what it means to be a Stevedore, why they do what they do. And I had to actually look up what a Stevedore is. It's a pretty big culture gap to cross over if one hopes to get inside the mindset of the show.

There was this Hindi show called "Powder". It was a pretty blatant ripoff of The Wire, but it just felt much better simply because it was more culturally relevant to us.
It was also very well made for the most part but the forced romantic angle between the two junior leads started getting on my nerves after a while.

I beg to differ a bit , The Wire is one of the only shows that has tried to show us 'the real American city' , the class subjugation and poverty that exists there as well . Most American shows will only showcase the Glossy life of LA or New York, its is one of the most realistic portrayals ever attempted on a TV Series.

So while the creators didnt try to dumb down the lingo and culture of Baltimore to appeal to a wide audience, it was done to give it that 'docu-drama' image show has achieved .. and yes it will take some getting used to even if you've been a fan of American TV for years. The show was impossible to follow without Subtitles in first 3 seasons, but you get the hang of it from there .. untill Snoop comes into the scene .. :p

So yes.. for the typical Sitcom fan in India The Wire will be very hard to appreciate but its something any TV Drama fan MUST-WATCH.

Ended season 3 of Breaking Bad last night. This season was undoubtedly the most wickedly eventful. Starting season 4 tonight... after dinner. :eek:hyeah:

and the shows begin 3....2.......

tvschedule_zpscc887f4e.png

Back