Farcry2 Thread: Game Impressions

karanboochra said:
@All

Are you guys liking it ?

It's underwhelming to tell you the truth. The hype for this game was so intense that most gamers thought it would be the second coming of Christ. Now that the game is out, everybody is going "meh". Farcry 2 is similar to Assassin's Creed in a way, both good games in their own right, but bogged down by repetitive gameplay and an overall sense of monotony. I'll give you an example of this: Every time I clear out a checkpoint filled with guards, I find that the checkpoint is restocked with new guards every 5 minutes. So if I'm going from point A to point B, on my return I have to fight them AGAIN. And the fighting is very similar: just use the gun mounted on your car to decimate the place, then get down, run to the hood, fix the car, get back in and be on your way. This is okay the first 5 times, afterwards it just gets damn annoying.

I think Farcry 2 would have fared much better had it not had the Farcry name attached to it. The original Farcry was a commercial and critical hit and a highly entertaining, dynamic game; this probably made people expect the same from its sequel. Farcry 2 is more of a deliberately slow, realistic type of game, which is why I said it feels "underwhelming".

techster said:
It's underwhelming to tell you the truth. The hype for this game was so intense that most gamers thought it would be the second coming of Christ. Now that the game is out, everybody is going "meh". Farcry 2 is similar to Assassin's Creed in a way, both good games in their own right, but bogged down by repetitive gameplay and an overall sense of monotony. I'll give you an example of this: Every time I clear out a checkpoint filled with guards, I find that the checkpoint is restocked with new guards every 5 minutes. So if I'm going from point A to point B, on my return I have to fight them AGAIN. And the fighting is very similar: just use the gun mounted on your car to decimate the place, then get down, run to the hood, fix the car, get back in and be on your way. This is okay the first 5 times, afterwards it just gets damn annoying.

I think Farcry 2 would have fared much better had it not had the Farcry name attached to it. The original Farcry was a commercial and critical hit and a highly entertaining, dynamic game; this probably made people expect the same from its sequel. Farcry 2 is more of a deliberately slow, realistic type of game, which is why I said it feels "underwhelming".

Very good assessment :) The checkpoint thing is the most annoying !!

Btw, now I know why ATi came out with the hotfix driver. Was playing the game with 8.8 catalyst. It was fine till an arms dealer gave me a mission to go to a corner of the map. The forest started looking red, algae green and blue !! Add to this that all of a sudden, I would have a black box covering 3/4 of the screen !! Would have been seriously funny had ATi not come with the hotfix :lol:

Well i have read few reviews and i think people are little disappointed with the game.And as many are saying they shouldnt have used farcry2 name instead something.duh was so exicted about this game but then i guess its going to be disappointment.:( and worst part for me is the latest hotfix by ATI is not working properly for me whenever i intall it it starts showing wierd,hazzy pictures :S

by the way when pc version GTA4 going to be out?:)

game gets 6/10 from me... the reason being simple that farcry2 is nothing close to original farcry.I started playing it yesterday and it started very impressive..the menus and gfxs...also what amused me was that i was playing at 1680 x 1050 very high and 2x AA and the game didnt chopped even once all was smooth..Then came the gameplay which in fact oozes realism,made to match real life.. (but it doesnt)..The environments looked good but the standards set by crysis for the environment were soo high that these ones looked plain :( game has its parts in africa so most of time is spent in dry grasslands or on some barren lands with couple of trees..so it becomes little boring after sometime watching those lands (hurts my eyes :| i want greenery :p) may be that's reason y i didnt like it much.Next the gameplay which i liked in beginning started make me bore after some missions :( i was wondering am i playing GTA in mid of africa w/o those bikini babes :p

Come on UBI its a FPS..shoot shoot shoot is motto and not making missions :(

so in reality pretty unimpressed wid farcry2 (hype) :(

All marks for the realism and fire effects :p nothing else

I am trying to run it on my AMD Athlon 64 S939 1.8GHz and Ati X800XL [SM 2.0b] :ashamed:

A blank screen comes and goes , guess it wont work on my SM 2.0b card :(

I am about 5% into the game. At the moment, I'm enjoying it. It is open ended like Far cry/crysis, and has a few surprises in the gameplay. More involved character interaction is a welcome addition.

Currently just enjoying stalking people through the grass :D

I like the way cars jump on you out of the blue XD

And try the four wheel drive jeeps. .they are a killer but have no Gun on the,

One complaint. . no hot chix in AFRICA or wat ???

Quad Master said:
I am trying to run it on my AMD Athlon 64 S939 1.8GHz and Ati X800XL [SM 2.0b] :ashamed:

A blank screen comes and goes , guess it wont work on my SM 2.0b card :(

Ouch. :(

It needs a SM3 compatible Gfx card.

Okey... Have played the game for 3+ hours now and i must say...

THIS GAME IS CRAP.

Yup i said it. Its a big big big disappointment. Trust me there is nothing cool about the game. Yup nothing. We have had games with better graphics, better gameplay and better storyline. The game offers nothing new except for a lot of driving and repetitive missions. I believe everything is broken in the fame. Ubisoft have killed the farcry franchise with this game. I guess had it been named something else most of us wouldnt have even bothered to give it a second look.

I am uninstalling the game game from my PC as i write this.

Switch said:
Okey... Have played the game for 3+ hours now and i must say...

THIS GAME IS CRAP.

Yup i said it. Its a big big big disappointment. Trust me there is nothing cool about the game. Yup nothing. We have had games with better graphics, better gameplay and better storyline. The game offers nothing new except for a lot of driving and repetitive missions. I believe everything is broken in the fame. Ubisoft have killed the farcry franchise with this game. I guess had it been named something else most of us wouldnt have even bothered to give it a second look.

I am uninstalling the game game from my PC as i write this.

hahaha and installing Farcry back again to play for the nth time? :p

honestly games these days especially on the PC are pretty dissapointing, to an extent that am playing 3-4 yr old games over the so called new next gen 1337 games...

Nahh... Warhead was pretty decent... And so was DMC4, Assassian's creed and Mass effect :)

not to forget Fallout 3... Seems like few peeps have given it a perfect score...

Yup.. The developers need to be hanged for this game :mad: I seriously don't know how they even thought people would like it :| Every mission that involves moving from one corner of the map to the other is not funny at all :fatigue: And the worst part - You gotta go through 4 or 5 guard posts clearing all of them and on your way back, you gotta do the same !! Absolutely ridiculous :-[

Back