FIFA World cup 2010 discussion thread

Suarez won't be playing against the Dutch in the semifinals, his World Cup stint is over, assuming the Dutch beat Uruguay of course. :p

Two more contenders left, Spain wil meet the germans in the semi's and then they'll have to meet the dutch.

I'll have my revenge :devil:

Wow. Anyone who predicted this result should probably get a medal. I remember in World Cup 2002, Germany would bore their opponents to death and then Klose would sneak a header in, do that annoying front-flip and beat them. It was horrible. It was painful to watch them play back then. But now, after these World Cup games, I have something to say to the German team. Respect. Phenomenal performance by the Germans, absolutely brilliant. Very organized play, strict defence, firm midfield and very quick attacking.

When we entered the quarter finals, half the teams in it were South American, and now only one out of the four teams progressing is Uruguay (I say this with extreme confidence in Spain). I bet Maradona is kicking himself, and I bet this result has made a lot of fans very happy. I felt bad for Argentina, mainly because I'm fond of Veron, Messi and Tevez. But nonetheless, the Germans deserved to win this game, deserved to have gone through. The first goal can be attributed to Romero's laziness, is how I'd put it. You'd expect him to have quicker reactions than that.

And after Germany smuggled in the second goal, Argentina admitted defeat. The third and fourth followed in quick succession, but the goal of the day for me was the third one by Friedrich. Schweinsteiger walked past the entire Argentine defence before calmly passing it back to none other than Arne Friedrich who finally scored for his country after so many years of service. Special appreciation here for Mertesacker, the pillar of the German defence. It was a little funny watching Messi take on him, since Mertesacker is at least a foot and a half clear of Messi. =P

Argentina attacked pretty well in the end of the first and beginning of the second half, but you have to give it to Germany for holding on and finding a break every now and then and absolutely taking apart the Argentine defence. The Argentine defence was in total shambles from start to end, I think they miss Walter Samuel a bit more than they should. I think they never managed to replace Ayala completely. There's going to be a lot of thinking for Argentina to do, but here's a suggestion for them. They need someone in midfield who can support Messi, someone who can give him those through balls and one touches with him. Tevez and Higuain do all they can, but Higuain is a natural targetman and he's good at that and Tevez is more of a ferocious player and gets a little tired of all the little touches I feel.

Who can do this for them? Veron. He should have been in the starting eleven. Who else? Pablo Aimar. Even though he isn't in the squad, he should have been picked. He played in the qualifiers and stood out in a lot of games, he really should have been picked. Aimar's probably one of my favorite midfielders ever really. Germany, you guys were brilliant. Too good. Absolutely deserve a place in the semi finals, and I wish you weren't up against Spain because I'm fond of them. But, if the Germans beat Spain, I'll consider them world champions. I don't care if they win or lose to the Dutch in the finals (I say this with a lot of confidence in the Dutch =P), but if they beat Spain, they're champions for me. =)

Yeah man ... Germany rule ... simply crushed the Argentinans ..

Sad that one of Spain n Germany, my fav teams will b out in d semis ...

Back