First time building a home NAS

That was the plan as 2200g is an APU. Let's see if this is even available still.
Most of the websites do not have Rpi on stock and the ones that have are only 8Gb variants, and they're ready to sell it only as a kit, which comes around 16-17k. So I thought of this PC.
On the other hand, how big is 30W consumption? Any realtime device example? Like, fan/ light or something like that?
Uhh, similar to an old fluorescent tube light I suppose. To provide a more expenses centric perspective, 40w continuous for one day is approximately 1kwh, or 1 "unit". 1 unit of electricity costs 5~6 rupees, and it scales from there.

If you already have a laptop which you can potentially use then it would be a waste of money to purchase this parts list only for this use case. Prices are coming down globally. If you can wait for a SBC then great otherwise you can deploy using your laptop now.
If your input files are in h265 the you will definitely need transcoding. I implore you to check.

Last edited:
I've been running my NAS on my old laptop for a week now. I'm using Ubuntu desktop. I'm using Plex to stream my movies. So far good. Though CPU usage is 1% most of the time, Ram usage is 1.5Gb at idle, guess it is due to Ubuntu's GUI interface.
Meanwhile, i was able to order a Rpi device. Will be getting it in a week or so. People using Rpi, how many harddiscs have you connected? Sata to USB3 is the only way to connect?

I've been running my NAS on my old laptop for a week now. I'm using Ubuntu desktop. I'm using Plex to stream my movies. So far good. Though CPU usage is 1% most of the time, Ram usage is 1.5Gb at idle, guess it is due to Ubuntu's GUI interface.
Meanwhile, i was able to order a Rpi device. Will be getting it in a week or so. People using Rpi, how many harddiscs have you connected? Sata to USB3 is the only way to connect?
You should use a powered USB hub, don't load down the PMIC on the pi, if it burns down you're SoL.

Any suggestions on powered hub and sata to usb3 connectors? That you've used and feel it's good?
I ordered an orico usb3 powered hub from AliExpress. They come with a 60w external adapter and work pretty good in my experience. No random dropouts or overheating. Unfortunately they are probably unobtonium now with AliExpress banning us.

Powered USB Hubs:
I'm using a Transcend one - https://www.amazon.in/Transcend-TS-HUB3K-USB-3-0-4-port/dp/B005D69QD8
This one from QZ also looks good - https://www.amazon.in/QuantumZERO-External-Powered-USB-Ports/dp/B011OSM2KW
Just make sure that the power supply is from a 12V source and not a micro USB one

SATA to USB connectors:
Alternatively, if you are planning to use a single disk (2.5" or 3.5"), a dock will be better suited - https://www.amazon.in/India-Docking-Supports-ASM1153e-Top-Loading/dp/B085XJ6XFY

I currently have a 120Gb and 240Gb SSDs. Should I use them, or sell them and get a single-high capacity-NAS drive for this? What do you suggest?

Update:
Got the Rpi 8gb version and kit from pibox.com
Came with noobs already installed in the microSD. But later found that omv needs a non-desktop version of raspbian OS. So formatted the microSD and installed lite version.
Purchased a powered USB hub and 1 sata-USB3.0 connector. Installing Plex - tried initially using docker, but don't know why that didn't work at all. So installed plexmediaserver directly without docker. Copied few 4k HEVC True HD movies and disabled transcoding on Plex. So far, all looks good.
Want to give spl thanks for the guidance guys. Now, will put the old laptop for sale (to tally the RPi purchase amount :p )

Now, planning to purchase a bigger capacity drive. Should I get a normal 2TB drive? Or should I get a specific NAS drive? Usage: Mostly Plex, other times - file storage. Just saying, I won't be reading/writing on the drive 24x7. Any suggestions?

Back