First time building a home NAS

Afaik the botallen version doesn't go beyond 480p.
Which jiotv server did you host ? This one ?
yup, This is the one I hosted. While playing from my WebBrowser, we get an option to choose resolution. But for TV, I need to use any IPTV player. There it automatically chooses resolution.

I can find only genre filters in IPTV players. I'm looking for an IPTV player with Language filter also, it would be easy to list channels of specific language. Let me know if you know such IPTV players.

yup, This is the one I hosted. While playing from my WebBrowser, we get an option to choose resolution. But for TV, I need to use any IPTV player. There it automatically chooses resolution.
I will try it out. What is the max resolution in your web browser ?

This is my pi overview now :)
Let me know if I can install anything useful.

1660287422652.png

But for TV, I need to use any IPTV player. There it automatically chooses resolution.
I can find only genre filters in IPTV players. I'm looking for an IPTV player with Language filter also, it would be easy to list channels of specific language. Let me know if you know such IPTV players.
IPTV - this is something which i never able to understand or make it work .
Are you using plex as front for your IPTV front end in TV?

I have emby -- which also supports IPTV. can you link me up with any tutorial to set it up?
Also for jio TV does one need to have a jio number (don't have one) ? where do i get username pasword as mentioned in github instruction ?
Let me know if I can install anything useful.
interesting to see you using, but wht doesn't it shows the number of movies, etc in your plex/emby tile..,
Aslo plex? do you have paid version for TV?

IPTV - this is something which i never able to understand or make it work .
Are you using plex as front for your IPTV front end in TV?
IPTV is basically watching your TV over internet. Example: JioTV app -> This one has 800+ channels that you can watch over internet. There is a catch with JioTV app. It is built only for mobile devices. If you manage to install it in AndroidTV/FTV/any android TV box, you'll need a mouse to access the UI, since the UI is built for mobile, so our remote won't work there.
Now, what we are doing is basically make use of this JioTV's API and watch those TV channels on an IPTV player. This IPTV apps gives us a good-remote accessible interface to watch the same JioTV channels.
Also for jio TV does one need to have a jio number (don't have one) ? where do i get username pasword as mentioned in github instruction ?
Yes, you can borrow one from one of your friends. mobile+pwd or email+pwd will do. There is no limitation like 1 mobile number should be linked to one device only to watch JioTV.
interesting to see you using, but wht doesn't it shows the number of movies, etc in your plex/emby tile..,
The image is from Heimdall. We can configure it to list all the installed/most used apps. Like a one-stop-shop to quickly view/access the app. Inside Plex it shows all my HDD libraries. Does the count display in Heimdall screen also? I'm not sure.
Aslo plex? do you have paid version for TV?
I use the normal Plex server, nothing paid.

Does the count display in Heimdall screen also?
yes. i installed it once to test run many software in VM, it was showing total number of stuffs in my emby library,
not able to search the tutorial right now, but will link it if have it bookmarked it somewhwre

btw see this -
just stumbled on this-- his dashboard seems similar what i was referring.
btw Heimdall doesn't play good on rpi, so i have not bothered to install.

Talking about Jio.. i think plex is unnecessary overly bloated, so i use emby in fire tv. it has IPTV section. you know by any chance any tutorial to help setup ?
(in other way you using plex as iptv app in your tv ? )

Last edited:
Talking about Jio.. i think plex is unnecessary overly bloated, so i use emby in fire tv. it has IPTV section. you know by any chance any tutorial to help setup ?
(in other way you using plex as iptv app in your tv ? )
I use Plex just for watching movies/tv from my HDD connected to Pi. Plex also has IPTV section, but I'm not sure if I can add MY local IPTV playlist there. So, I use OTT navigator, an IPTV player for playing my JioTv IPTV.
just stumbled on this-- his dashboard seems similar what i was referring.
btw Heimdall doesn't play good on rpi, so i have not bothered to install.
I will take a look. Thanks!

Update: Was able to move the webserver (read JioTV) hosting to container. Had some time, so created a docket image with Apache and PHP.

Installed OMV on pi , has to remove desktop manager . Didnt like it . Installed everything again on pi including pi 64 desktop , adguard , unbound
Now will test plex and mindlna
Just want simple media server to watch from connected harddisk to Pi

Whats best recommendation , Plex ?

Installed OMV on pi , has to remove desktop manager . Didnt like it . Installed everything again on pi including pi 64 desktop , adguard , unbound
Now will test plex and mindlna
Just want simple media server to watch from connected harddisk to Pi

Whats best recommendation , Plex ?
Jellyfin all the way. I was using Plex for 2 years, recently switched to jellyfin and all of my friends/family are impressed with difference in stream quality.
Mind you, I am on x86_64 platform (5600X - not pi4).
I like the apps better, and everything is free (the app offline downloads aren't as good - it just downloads into your gallery rather than prime video - like downloads of plex - but will get fixed hopefully)

Jellyfin all the way. I was using Plex for 2 years, recently switched to jellyfin and all of my friends/family are impressed with difference in stream quality.
I like the apps better, and everything is free (the app offline downloads aren't as good - it just downloads into your gallery rather than prime video - like downloads of plex - but will get fixed hopefully)
Installed Plex , dididnt face any isssues
let me test Jellyfin also before i do fresh reinstall after final selection
If usage is streaming from USB harddisk attached to pi on ly, Which do you think is better ?
Plex or Jellyfin ?

Last edited:
Back