First time building a home NAS

Update:
Got the Rpi 8gb version and kit from pibox.com
Came with noobs already installed in the microSD. But later found that omv needs a non-desktop version of raspbian OS. So formatted the microSD and installed lite version.
Purchased a powered USB hub and 1 sata-USB3.0 connector. Installing Plex - tried initially using docker, but don't know why that didn't work at all. So installed plexmediaserver directly without docker. Copied few 4k HEVC True HD movies and disabled transcoding on Plex. So far, all looks good.
Want to give spl thanks for the guidance guys. Now, will put the old laptop for sale (to tally the RPi purchase amount :p )

Now, planning to purchase a bigger capacity drive. Should I get a normal 2TB drive? Or should I get a specific NAS drive? Usage: Mostly Plex, other times - file storage. Just saying, I won't be reading/writing on the drive 24x7. Any suggestions?
Congrats. Now install log2ram to make sure your sd card does not die an early death.

Any suggestion on which HDD to use? Currently I'm using my old 240GB SSD. Planning to add 2/4TB of storage. So doubtful on which one to use, as I couldn't find a sata-USB converter that supports 4TB. Any help of this pls

Look at using the ssd drive as a boot drive. the weakest link tends to be the sdcard from my experience. I have moved on from what are now overpriced SBC to using an old atom (fanless) pc which boots from usb and uses the only two available ports for a RAID 1 array. There are many software which can be used to do the same like xigmanas.

Look at using the ssd drive as a boot drive. the weakest link tends to be the sdcard from my experience. I have moved on from what are now overpriced SBC to using an old atom (fanless) pc which boots from usb and uses the only two available ports for a RAID 1 array. There are many software which can be used to do the same like xigmanas.
Any specific reason to use SSD?
Isn't microSD sufficient for this?

Any specific reason to use SSD?
Isn't microSD sufficient for this?
Micro sd cards, especially the cheaper ones have a really low endurance rating and aren't specced to run a complete OS, even a lightweight one such as debian. For this very reason, they die and when they die they take you config with them. Log files are the primary reason for excessive writes and that's why I suggested log2ram, it creates a ramdisk. An ssd is a perfect solution, now that raspi supports USB boot.

I would suggest an SD card with log2ram. There is no sense in dedicating a USB port for a boot drive. They are too few in number if you actually want to connect more hard drives for media storage.
Update:
Got the Rpi 8gb version and kit from pibox.com
Came with noobs already installed in the microSD. But later found that omv needs a non-desktop version of raspbian OS. So formatted the microSD and installed lite version.
Purchased a powered USB hub and 1 sata-USB3.0 connector. Installing Plex - tried initially using docker, but don't know why that didn't work at all. So installed plexmediaserver directly without docker. Copied few 4k HEVC True HD movies and disabled transcoding on Plex. So far, all looks good.
Want to give spl thanks for the guidance guys. Now, will put the old laptop for sale (to tally the RPi purchase amount :p )

Now, planning to purchase a bigger capacity drive. Should I get a normal 2TB drive? Or should I get a specific NAS drive? Usage: Mostly Plex, other times - file storage. Just saying, I won't be reading/writing on the drive 24x7. Any suggestions?
Isnt it actually pibox.in?

I would suggest an SD card with log2ram. There is no sense in dedicating a USB port for a boot drive. They are too few in number if you actually want to connect more hard drives for media storage.

Isnt it actually pibox.in?
Sure no sense in *dedicating* USB to boot drive. This does not mean media cannot be stored on boot drive too. Even with a SSD connected on a USB hub, the performance (not to mention endurance) will be way better than a SD card. The powerd hub is wise cause the pi's powersupply will give up way before all USB ports are populated. Even if we got a free sdcard with the Pi, but also had a SDD, it would be far more reliable to boot from ssd and use the card for media storage instead. An SD card simply does not have the endurance of an SSD to run the operating system on. USB boot is one of the significant upgrades on Pi4 for same reason.

Last edited:
Update: Moved my OS to SSD and removed the sdCard.Works fine. Was able to get an external 2TB HDD in Amazon sale and using that as storage. Using the remaining storage in SSD only for torrent download as I don't want the continuous HDD write for this. Will move the content to HDD post completion.

1. Idle temperature stays at 38-40. Is that normal? I know I'm staying in Chennai, a hot place, but still.
2. Copy speeds are around 80-85 MBps (i think so). Is this a fine speed?

Last edited:
1. Idle temperature stays at 38-40. Is that normal? I know I'm staying in Chennai, a hot place, but still.
Yes that's completely normal. My pi4 stays at around 50C. 60-70 when under load.
2. Copy speeds are around 80-85 MBps (i think so). Is this a fine speed?
From where and onto where are you copying? Between two USB drives I suppose (SATA SSD and external drive) if that's the case then yes that's fine

From my downloads folder (SSD) to my storage drive (external HDD).

Have tried playing 4k movies upto size of 30Gb in Plex, no transcoding. My HT supports only 5.1, so 7.1 audio alone is Transcoded, still no buffers.
I guess then if you don't plan to use it for anything else, you are all set!
My use case was exactly the same until I decided to ditch the Google cloud ecosystem for Nextcloud + Syncthing + Photoprism setup, and moved to a proper 8-drive NAS PC.

I'm currently running JioTV addon on Kodi on my TV. Is there a way to host JioTV locally on Pi? I mean, there are many repositories on GitHub, but I can't even understand them. Anyone have done this? Any help?

Is there a way to host JioTV locally on Pi?
I am not sure if I completely understand. Do you want to use the raspberry pi as a jiotv client? Or host it as a jiotv server?
Kodi is the only way to do the former. Latter I am not sure.
With JioTV addon on Kodi you still are limited to 540p streaming I think, refer here: https://techenclave.com/threads/watch-jiotv-on-any-device-with-kodi.200374/
I guess installing some android skin on your pi might be of use (or getting a fireTV stick for example) but still not everything will stream in FHD among other issues.

I am not sure if I completely understand. Do you want to use the raspberry pi as a jiotv client? Or host it as a jiotv server?
Kodi is the only way to do the former. Latter I am not sure.
With JioTV addon on Kodi you still are limited to 540p streaming I think, refer here: https://techenclave.com/threads/watch-jiotv-on-any-device-with-kodi.200374/
I guess installing some android skin on your pi might be of use (or getting a fireTV stick for example) but still not everything will stream in FHD among other issues.
I'm asking about hosting JioTV server on Pi. Kodi is slow and not-light weight. So just thinking if there is a possibility to host it on my Pi

Back