Flipkart deals

But than Mishandling problem will be same with new hdd also.
I was assuming even more transportation for older stocks(say fresh stock kept in one warehouse for few months after which it is moved to another warehouse meant for older unsold stock meant to be cleared in some sale like this). Also there has been a case where a user was refused warranty extension by WD for the 4TB hdd model in this bbd sale deal with same mfg date of Aug 21 & asking for a written confirmation from Flipkart that hdd sold was new & not refurbished/used which that user hasn't been able to get yet.
@ibose

I was assuming even more transportation for older stocks(say fresh stock kept in one warehouse for few months after which it is moved to another warehouse meant for older unsold stock meant to be cleared in some sale like this). Also there has been a case where a user was refused warranty extension by WD for the 4TB hdd model in this bbd sale deal with same mfg date of Aug 21 & asking for a written confirmation from Flipkart that hdd sold was new & not refurbished/used which that user hasn't been able to get yet.
@ibose
So ? My original point remains. What you mention has nothing to do with it and is more on consumer law rather than disk failures. WD cannot deny warranty. Again, the reverse is also possible i.e. the stock remains in the same warehouse until liquidated.

So ? My original point remains. What you mention has nothing to do with it and is more on consumer law rather than disk failures. WD cannot deny warranty. Again, the reverse is also possible i.e. the stock remains in the same warehouse until liquidated.
I was just mentioning the "possible risks" of buying more than a year old hdd. WD is not denying warranty per se but is simply not considering warranty start date from the date of purchase without additional proof(invoice is not enough) if it differs from mfg date by 1 year or so.

I was just mentioning the "possible risks" of buying more than a year old hdd. WD is not denying warranty per se but is simply not considering warranty start date from the date of purchase without additional proof(invoice is not enough) if it differs from mfg date by 1 year or so.
Again this has not got anything to do with disk failures. Risk exists even with a HDD manufactured yesterday. Moreover can you point me if what you mention is part of the WD official T&Cs -
If not, then it can be challenged in the court of law.

Again this has not got anything to do with disk failures. Risk exists even with a HDD manufactured yesterday.
I know but 0.0001 is still greater than 0 so just mentioned as precaution for those interested(aka older stock has non-zero probability of being moved more between different warehouses).

Moreover can you point me if what you mention is part of the WD official T&Cs -
If not, then it can be challenged in the court of law.

As for WD here is the relevant clause:
The term of your limited warranty period shall commence on the purchase date appearing on your purchase receipt from an authorized distributor or authorized reseller and extends only for the period of time set forth in the Product documentation.
And on WD website this appears:
1664745272633.png

As you can see, flipkart is neither listed as "distributor" nor as "reseller" because technically these are ecomm sites providing a platform so it gives WD enough flexibility in situations like these. This is standard policy followed by all major companies & the reason why corporate lawyers are one of the highest paid professions.

P.S. Croma & Reliance Digital are listed as distributors so such case will never happen with them even if they sell same 1 year old hdd.

I know but 0.0001 is still greater than 0 so just mentioned as precaution for those interested(aka older stock has non-zero probability of being moved more between different warehouses).
That is what you are saying. But is there any evidence ? Without that it is speculation.
As you can see, flipkart is neither listed as "distributor" nor as "reseller" because technically these are ecomm sites providing a platform so it gives WD enough flexibility in situations like these. This is standard policy followed by all major companies & the reason why corporate lawyers are one of the highest paid professions.
Then I wonder why are they listed in the where to buy section in the first place ? And is WD saying anything in the policy to that effect ? They are just playing and without going into details of the one specific case you mentioned, let us not jump the gun. I have not faced any issue so far getting warranty services for online hardware purchases irrespective of the mfg date. As long as you have proper documentation and follow the due process, they cannot refuse.
I know you mean well in warning others and to a certain extent, it is a customer's choice. But let us not start ringing the alarm bells without proper evidence and information.

This Toshiba Canvo hdd is giving amazing speed for a hdd.

WD passport usually gives around 80-110.
This is pretty stable at above 140mb/s
I hope you are also running crystaldiskinfo to constantly monitor hdd health & its temp. All SMR hdd give good write speeds initially when hdd is almost empty but speeds take a sharp drop once hdd is 40-50%+ filled.

I hope you are also running crystaldiskinfo to constantly monitor hdd health & its temp. All SMR hdd give good write speeds initially when hdd is almost empty but speeds take a sharp drop once hdd is 40-50%+ filled.
I never knew this. Thats good info. really thanks for sharing.

As of now the temp is around 43c btw I am in decent cool environment .

I never knew this. Thats good info. really thanks for sharing.

As of now the temp is around 43c btw I am in decent cool environment .
Also in crystaldiskinfo keep an eye on load unload cycle count. Its raw value shouldn't increase by more than a dozen times in a day. In crystaldiskinfo go to function--advanced feature--raw values & select 10[DEC] which will display raw values in decimal number format which we typically use(default is hexadecimal number system which is used by computers & programmers). Power on count raw value should also not increase by more than a few times everyday. These values basically are related to power saving feature on hdd & typically default settings make them increase a lot everyday. They do save some power but savings is negligible & it comes at the cost of increased wear & tear of mechanical sus-system of hdd(imagine a water pump being turned on & off a few times every minute for hours).

Ryzen 5800X CPU back at 23.9k:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

Heads Up: Product has 'No Returns Applicable' on Flipkart.
Just for others to be aware I recently got a 5900x at a good price from flipkart with the same no returns policy. The processor MFG date was 1 year old and I am seeing elevated temps. Yet to find out if it is a CPU issue or mounting pressure/thermal paste issue. Be aware

Just for others to be aware I recently got a 5900x at a good price from flipkart with the same no returns policy. The processor MFG date was 1 year old and I am seeing elevated temps. Yet to find out if it is a CPU issue or mounting pressure/thermal paste issue. Be aware
Its like someone selling a 50lac bmw for 20lac so obviously something fishy is naturally to be expected.. Never fall for such prices as platforms and sellers are there to exploit and take undue advantages of shit policies favoring only the platform and sellers.

Dealing with IT stuff for 2.5+ decades, I have always bought processors and mobos offline, complete peace of mind!
Either buy from reputed IT websites or at least Amazon but by checking the wise price but will suggest to buy such stuff from a friend or offline shops.

Last edited:
Can't you RMA it

Electronics items are non returnable on all websites.

1 or 10 year old manufacturing date shouldn't matter anything for elevated temps.

It's a new proccy and I want to do enough testing before taking the pains to RMA it. Unfortunately PITA either way. Regret buying from Flipkart
5900X is a monster chip and needs good cooling. "Elevated temps" is subjective. Give a real number and if you want to have a discussion let's create a new thread in proper section.

Electronics items are non returnable on all websites.

1 or 10 year old manufacturing date shouldn't matter anything for elevated temps.
Agree didn't mean that about MFG date. I was only referring to 1 year old as a potential possibility of customer return being pushed off. The box was slightly damaged but the seal was there so hopefully that's not the case.

5900X is a monster chip and needs good cooling. "Elevated temps" is subjective. Give a real number and if you want to have a discussion let's create a new thread in proper section.
Did some reading and realized that. Not intending to discuss it here but here is my initial observation. Will start a seperate thread once I test few things.
With a CM 240mm AIO 3800x was idling close to 30C. Where as with the same AIO 5900x is idling around 45-50C. Any light work puts it between 60-70C. Full stress test like Intelburntest/realbench hits 90C when all cores are 100% occupied operating at 4.5Ghz and with a curve optimizer undervolt of -25. Core 5 In CCX0 seems to be the culprit as all other 11 cores are 5 to 15C less

So my comment about elevated temps was about idle and light load temps

Back