Flipkart's Big Billion App only sale does $300M Business & Why its still a flop sale

I bought stuff off both Amazon and Flipkart. Guess what stuff I bought on Amazon has mostly been shipped and at my house. FK in comparison? 2-3 weeks time. What I do appreciate is they are being upfront about it. Better than saying something and doing something else.
But then Amazon has its own quirks too. It marks a deal claimed even if you buy and had to cancel because of some reason (in my case colleague backed out on his part of the order). So not really a perfect system but better.

Flipkart's Big Billion Days sale fails yet again

flipkart's 'Big Billion Days' sale has yet again run into glitches this year, and this time the e-commerce giant is tendering apologies to its sellers in Agra whose products have been removed from the site for almost two days now due to delivery issues. Various vendors in the city ET spoke to complained that Flipkart has blocked their products to be sold on its e-commerce site amid a rush of consumers.

"We were waiting for the Big Billion Days sale and have kept ourselves adequately stocked to meet the consumer demands. We got six times more order than what we usually get, on the first day of the event. But on the second day we were surprised to see our orders fell to zero. This is when we realized that something is wrong," said an Agra-based vendor who sells artificial jewellery on Flipkart.
One footwear vendor who received around 120 orders on day one said he has not been able to dispatch the whole order even on the third day because Flipkart's logistics partner is only collecting partial orders, saying they have been asked only to collect certain orders owing to huge demand.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...sale-fails-yet-again/articleshow/49405163.cms

^Was just gonna post that link, that 3 million phone sales claim seems a bit far-fetched no ?
big crap that 20 lakh phonen news. i work in this industry and know.. even 3 lakh phone would be a big success in this big billion sale. though i may or may not work in rival co. we know what others are doing

big crap that 20 lakh phonen news. i work in this industry and know.. even 3 lakh phone would be a big success in this big billion sale. though i may or may not work in rival co. we know what others are doing
Indeed. Assuming they sold ~ 3Lakh phones in one day last year with 1.5Lakh batch of Redmi1S that on desktop+app. This year figures are unrealistic.. Max they could have done is ~10 Lakhs or 1M.

People including myself bought mobiles from Snapdeal and Amazon on 13th and 14th Itself, Who the F**k bought the same mobile for same price on Flipkart?

what is the thought process though of being app only? you're keeping out a lot of people who dont have smartphones/arent comfortable buying on it. it doesnt make any sense.

So Flipkart is at it all over again. I ordered a Moto G3 in exchange on Friday. A colleague of mine ordered it on Saturday. He is getting the phone delivered today while mine is stuck at the "ordered confirmed" stage. What crap of a service.
The thing I noticed was, my order was supposed to be "ship" by today. Now I see the ship date was changed to next week Monday all without prior information. When I check the phone its out of stock. So I guess they are betting on crappiness of their service so that people cancel their order and give them leeway.

‘Big Billion Days’ sale, the five-day event just concluded, now in its second edition, saw a business turnover of over $300 million (1920 crores) in gross merchandise volume (GMV), which was three times bigger than last year with the participation of 40,000 sellers and millions of visitors

However, in terms of value, the mobile category was the big winner with close of $200million (1300 Crores) GMV.
http://www.financialexpress.com/art...-days-sale-churns-out-300-million-gmv/153290/

66% of Revenue only from Mobiles category; Having exclusivity to few brands saved them from a Total 'Flop' Sale.

Let's see how many of them got Stolen Mobile Phones. :p

Last edited:
I am pleasantly surprised by Amazons logistics. I was expecting delays because of the festival rush, but all my orders expect one were shipped within a few hours of placing the order. My orders came through different couriers - ATS, Aramex, Bluedart, Delhivery. They have contracted with multiple shipping partners instead of depending on their own logistics. They were very very well prepared this time. Last time, there was considerable delays from Amazon.
I placed 7 order during the 5 day period and have received 4 full, 2 partially and 1 pending. The pending order is with Blue dart, who are never able to cope with with the festival rush. Faced the same issue with them last time.
All my order were free shipping - no priority shipping/handling fees given.
Amazon should be proud - what they achieved is commendable.

That is absolutely true.Amazon is heads and shoulders above Flipkart when it comes to deliveries for items sold during the sale.

This shows us that no matter what you do Firang businesses are far more professional than even the new age desi startups who themselves are far ahead of their country counterparts.

But at the end we should keep in mind that Amazon is the baap and Flipkart is the beta...:):)

^No idea what you guys are talking about. Bought items from both amazon and flipkart during this sale, both came well before scheduled time. Got a drill tool kit from FK, took hardly 24 hours. Got a router from amazon, took 1.5 days. But I do agree, lightning deals >> big billion sale this time around.

what is the thought process though of being app only? you're keeping out a lot of people who dont have smartphones/arent comfortable buying on it. it doesnt make any sense.
More people are connecting to the internet via phone in terms of % growth of the number of users. The rate of new mobile internet connections is 5-6x that of broadband connections.
A majority of total sales actually happen in tier 2 cities, maybe here access to internet via phone is easier than broadband. App sales account for around 60%+ of their total sales as well.
They also believe apps are the future and provide a better buying experience (this is very subjective, I personally hate it). But I see what they mean, at least for things like freecharge, bookmyshow, app >> site, but then again that cant apply to all businesses I guess.

PS: Forgot to add, they can afford a short term drop in sales by being app only.

Ordered a Moto G3 and Redmi 2 Prime with SC/SBI CC discount on 15th and 17th Oct respectively, they are yet to be packed by Flipkart/wsretail. Whereas ordered Lenovo A6000 plus without any discount for Rs.7500/- on 18th oct, and now it has already reached my nearest hub. These guys should be hit hard in front of a crowd.

In addition to that, the whole day on 17th, Lenovo A6000 plus and Redmi 2 prime were shown out of stock, I dont know how I managed to pay for Redmi. But right at 00.00hrs on 18th, all the products came back in stock. Cheat strategy by FK. FK them

More people are connecting to the internet via phone in terms of % growth of the number of users. The rate of new mobile internet connections is 5-6x that of broadband connections.
A majority of total sales actually happen in tier 2 cities, maybe here access to internet via phone is easier than broadband. App sales account for around 60%+ of their total sales as well.
They also believe apps are the future and provide a better buying experience (this is very subjective, I personally hate it). But I see what they mean, at least for things like freecharge, bookmyshow, app >> site, but then again that cant apply to all businesses I guess.

PS: Forgot to add, they can afford a short term drop in sales by being app only.

i understand that a lot of people buy on app. my qs is why block people who want to buy from a pc? you're losing out on a whole segment who'll simply turn over to another website & buy from there. it makes no sense.

i understand that a lot of people buy on app. my qs is why block people who want to buy from a pc? you're losing out on a whole segment who'll simply turn over to another website & buy from there. it makes no sense.

Typical Baniya thinking. Force people not to bargain and buy whatever they are selling at their own rates.

Example: We have a Baniya in our area who does that. He used to give us monthly kirana for wholesale prices until few months ago we realised he's charging 10% more from us and giving us free home delivery.
Since this Baniyas shop is trust worthy and cheap.. People got used to them .. And did not bother checking other wholesalers because he claims they sell 2nd quality product.

Same is the case with Flipkart.

app only model helps flipkart more than customers. there are many browser add ons available for PC which when you open up a listing will provide you with cheapest listing on the same site or elsewhere and their price trends for a month. in this case , the buyer is made well aware if the price offered is a real deal and not just over inflated MRP to create an impression of a huge discount.

in the long run flipkart will lose the goodwill they had initially.

overall , the most improved of the online retailer seems to be snapdeal.
most of their listing prices are lower than the competition and their reach across many pincodes is very much better than both amazon and flipkart.

amazon though had a few surprise deals here and there but overall max deal listings were available at snapdeal.

Back