Foodies lets talk chili sauce and pickles etc

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
Do you guys like chili sauce and pickles? What brand and type or flavor do you buy and how much do you pay for it? How often do you consume?
I want to enter this business area as a hobby. Wild honey venture is too hard since there's no constant supply lol. But I will get back into it with reared honey once my farm is up and running. Gad damn covid...
I also wanted to try dipping my hands in the local grape wine business if possible. I find it very interesting.

I make my own pickles (off and on, no stock right now). Used to buy 'Mothers' but stopped after I started pickling at home.

My primary interest was in increasing the consumption of fermented food. Tried many things but only do pickling and sourdough breads these days.

I would love it someone creates a business of fermented/live food. The choice available in India is very limited (curd, pickles, home brew wines in some parts ... anything else?). Even the curds sold in supermarkets these days probably use lab designed bacteria cultures. You cannot propagate it more than a few times.

There is a sizeable population who want to return to 'real' food, so the opportunity is there. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Last edited:
I make my own pickles (off and on, no stock right now). Used to buy 'Mothers' but stopped after I started pickling at home.
Have you ever had those "real" or "organic" ones? With the "this is only a brand name or trade mark and does not represent its true nature" disclaimer on the back lol.
A lot of them are in departmental stores and also on amazon. Very popular too. I was wondering if it will sell without that tag or disclaimer.
As for the fermented ones I like them too but I think its because they take quite a while for them to be properly fermented. You should try to make your own fermented banana juice or wine. Its easy. We have a very good banana species grown here in my home. Very different from many of the ones available locally. They are the best bananas I've ever had. My grandmother brought it from somewhere many years ago. Don't use the small short ones. They don't taste good at all.
Anyway the chili concept and source are already there. I just need to formalize some things but govt side is delaying. License and all that due to covid SoP's. I hope to get it running if Omicron doesn't hit us hard.

Last edited:
Have you ever had those "real" or "organic" ones?
Do my home made pickles qualify? If yes, then yes.

I grew in the deep hinterlands where where every family prepared its own pickles and preserves. That was before anyone knew what 'organic' was.

I was wondering if it will sell without that tag or disclaimer.
I will leave that for someone with an MBA.

If I was doing it, I would stay away from standard distribution channels and go super local. Only sell to people who trust me. Food is sacred.

Do my home made pickles qualify? If yes, then yes.
No not your home made ones but the ones you buy at the local supermarket.

If I was doing it, I would stay away from standard distribution channels and go super local. Only sell to people who trust me. Food is sacred.
Yes you have a good point. Can't imagine you make something with love only to be shit on by random online reviewers having a bad day...

I found this interesting. But didn’t try. They have other products and are presented pretty well.

Now that looks interesting. I've never had squid in my life.
squid pickle.png

Maybe offtopic, but where can we find good authentic fermented red chilli powder/paste (like Korean gochujang etc) in India? my searches didn't turn up much credible options.

I'm thinking of trying them as I recently found out the fermented ones are healthier than our usual chilli stuff.

Never had to purchase pickles from outside. The ones made at home are more than enough for our seldom use. I had been buying 'Wingreen Farms' Schzwan Chilli and Garlic sauce, but they changed their recipe recently and quality has gone down. It's such an easy recipe that I will be making even that at home from now on. My friend runs 'Masala Monk' where they sell premium homemade pickles and many other products. Looking at his prices, seems like people are willing to pay quite high prices for good quality stuff. Many people are already doing this kind of business and one even found their way to the newly launched Shark Tank India.

Anyone tried this Sriracha Thai chili sauce? I used to love what was available in the US but when I tried it here in India it seemed less potent. Don't remember where I bought it from, probably amazon.

I would shell out the big bucks if I could get the same stuff again. Right now I make do with the Maggi hot and sweet tomato chilli sauce of all things lol.

Anyone tried this Sriracha Thai chili sauce? I used to love what was available in the US but when I tried it here in India it seemed less potent. Don't remember where I bought it from, probably amazon.

I would shell out the big bucks if I could get the same stuff again. Right now I make do with the Maggi hot and sweet tomato chilli sauce of all things lol.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B000LO40AG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A17X0BDGP54P4D&psc=1 Is probably the closest. I don't Sriracha is supposed to be as potent as Bhoot Jolakia based stuff, etc. But still so good. Though I usually mix it another type of sauce/base/dip just to add a kick. Plain sriracha gives me severe acidity.

Two different sets of friends have sort of ventured into the pickle business. One is mainly prawn pickle and the other one has lot of meat based pickles. I'm not sure how they are as businesses but their stuff is good.

Maggi Hot and Sweet has been a staple in our house for 30 years now. Have tried Sriracha from Veeba but as an add-on to other sauces or mayo while making dips.

Edit - I've been wanting to order sauces from them ever since I came across this Youtube Channel, but am afraid of our customs department. https://youtube.com/c/FirstWeFeast

Maybe offtopic, but where can we find good authentic fermented red chilli powder/paste (like Korean gochujang etc) in India? my searches didn't turn up much credible options.

I'm thinking of trying them as I recently found out the fermented ones are healthier than our usual chilli stuff.
Try INA market in South Delhi. They have lots of imported food stuff and exotic ones in their stalls.
Thanks man I will order the chili sauce. I've heard so much about 'merican sauces but never actually tried them. Thanks youtube food channels and vloggers for spoiling me.

You can try this one. Usually Urban Platter products are good even if slightly expensive.
Urban Platter Korean Classic Gochujang Hot Chilli Paste, 500g https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08ZNQ3XW5/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_F17VH2X6QDFR6G50KQGH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edit - Also found this website called Glocery.in which seems to import many foreign food products including Korean.

Last edited:
Back