For those about to rock...

errrm, don't even put the Wharfedales in the same league as MX5021... they are worlds apart. I was waiting for someone to ask me about the bass lol, because I *despise* booming bass - if that's what you want, this set of speakers aren't for you.... you'll be happier with the MX5021. But if you want great clarity with balanced mids/bass at any volume, then you will not be disappointed. The best way to describe the sound is: when you're standing in front of a live band, you don't hear the drone of booming bass - you just know the bass is there because it's prominent and it hits you in the gut.... especially when there's a really fast bass line or a double-bass pedal kicks in.

You also have to take my word keeping in mind I only listen to rock/metal... I have not, and will not, ever play techno/house/rap/trance/disco lol. So if you buy these speakers and tell me the bass sucks because you can't get your dancing hips to sync up with the non-existent-booming-bass... well, boo hoo! :rofl:

Grrr...

Isne toh ek hi jhatkey mein MX 5021 ka nasha utaar diya ..

iski toh !!@!#@##@@%^%$

Calling upon the MX fraternity ... Hunt him down at the very frst sighting .. :p

got the point though Mr .. :)

Btw are u trying to say that this set wont be THAT effective for Non Metal genre..?? i mean they sure wd perform .. bt not wid that booming effect as any NOOB audiphile wd want to .. is it ??

^^Intriguing rio... but I'm still curious... No I don't like booming bass but I do like my guitar strums and drum beats of say tracks like hotel california, uptown girl, breathe and their ilk..

A few comments from chaos would be welcome too :)

I don't mind spending double if I am getting say 30~40% better sound...

Hotel California in Hell Freezes Over is one of the most over produced tracks ever. They make bongo drums sound like kick drums :rofl:

Hotel California in Hell Freezes Over is one of the most over produced tracks ever. They make bongo drums sound like kick drums

LOL :rofl:

Anyway, if you need good bass frm a hi-fidelity system, you do need to set aside some money for a good Sub

A good quality stereo only setup will never produce a lot of bass

I don't mind spending double if I am getting say 30~40% better sound...

Spend the double amount on a good pair of bookshelves, and then save up to buy a sub

zhopudey said:
Hotel California in Hell Freezes Over is one of the most over produced tracks ever. They make bongo drums sound like kick drums :rofl:
LOL!

@space, I was kidding... I'm not saying it would sound bad with other genres, I just wanted to be clear about my stand when I say it sounds great. I can't speak for other genres but it will sound good, no doubt. If you have more cash to spend, compare these bookshelves with some floorstanders that Chaos mentioned. I compared this 8.1 to the 8.3 floorstanders but preferred the sound of the 8.1 bookshelves.

I'd recommend you listen to a few models that are within your budget before you decide which speakers to get - no review/opinion can replace first hand experience :) However, if you do have more than 17k to spend I'd suggest you spend it on a better 50W amp and a pair of these 8.1 bookshelves. Again, I can't be certain whether a better 50W amp will make these sound A LOT better, but theoretically, they will :)

Rio, Chaos, Superczar...thanks for all the info. Rio, I will do a live preview of all the probables as you suggested. Haven't got a huge budget but could spend upto 22K for now.

Hey, the Monito Audio Bronze will be ~20K just for the speakers...

What'll Vandy boy do for the Amp..He can't drive the speakers by himself ;)

the br1 is 135 gbp .. which comes to 11.5k here .. even if price gets bloated to 15-16k it leaves vandy with 6-7k for a basic amp.. pulz is 6k here in chennai but will it do justice to the speakers i dunno since i havent yet tried it

dunno .. wharfies not in stock at the moment , want to check out what audio people have but too busy here :(

superczar said:
Hey, the Monito Audio Bronze will be ~20K just for the speakers...
What'll Vandy boy do for the Amp..He can't drive the speakers by himself ;)

LOL I thought his speaker budget was 20k :p. Otherwise he can always run with the sound waves :rofl:.

Otherwise he can always run with the sound waves

LOL at that!

want to check out what audio people have but too busy here

Dude, go to audiopeople for the auditioning alone, and not for the buy..

Gimme a call if you need to find the right contact to pick up audio stuff..

The AP jokers would have priced my speakers at over a lac

Congrats on your purchase Rio. I was looking for something similar but on a much smaller scale. Waiting for Wharfdale to come out with 2.0 computer speakers :p .

I couldn't afford the space that this setup would take. An amp + 2 large speakers. Dude...you must have some serious desktop space. (I barely manage to cram my MX-5021 speakers and sub below on my desk.)

SC said:
Dude, go to audiopeople for the auditioning alone, and not for the buy..
Gimme a call if you need to find the right contact to pick up audio stuff..

That is really a wrong attitude to have. Thesechaps may be overpricing, but still auditioning at a big deealer and then buying from somewhere else is not good. The dealers have to invest a lot in infrastructure to keep audio systems for demo.

That is really a wrong attitude to have. Thesechaps may be overpricing, but still auditioning at a big deealer and then buying from somewhere else is not good. The dealers have to invest a lot in infrastructure to keep audio systems for demo.

I wouldn't call it wrong...

Hehehe, here is the deal, whenever any market evolves, things like these are a reality everone into S&M is aware of, and the decision to spend amount X on infra is reached after proper analysis....

Let me ask you a question then, say had you been in the US and wanted to buy say a 24" LCD monitor or something similar )...

You know the best prices are on newegg, What would you do?

A) Go down to a local officedepot or Best Buy to check on the monitors and decide which one to buy...then come back and order from newegg or Zipzoomfly...

B) or would you check the scant (and seldom dependable) reviews on the net and order online straightaway?

C) or would you go down to bestbuy and pay $600 for something that you know is available for $400 on newegg?

DO let me know what your answer is....

And BTW I gave the example of a 24" monitor as they fulfill two criteria similar to the speaker purchase Bottle is contemplating

a) They too are Pricey and require some amount of research before plonking in the money

b) Unlike Processors or GFX cards where you can find hazaar objective reviews on the net, monitor panel quality is a a matter of subjective opinion and hard to assess from reviews (and speaker quality assessment is a LOT more subjective) :p

If compared to speakers, monitor quality is completely objective :p Also, there are just a handful of different varieties to choose from. You might compare speakers with cars. Buying a car w/o a test drive is not advisible. Same with speakers.
I've read a lot about this on international forums. People go to b&m stores for auditions, even spend days coming to any decision, and finally end up buying internet-direct. I feel this is clearly wrong.

I've read a lot about this on international forums. People go to b&m stores for auditions, even spend days coming to any decision, and finally end up buying internet-direct. I feel this is clearly wrong.

For every 2 such people, there are 3 that would buy from the store....

Don't feel sad bout the store guy ..the equipment on display is provided by the manufacturers,

and the remaining the infrastructure costs get borne by the high margins (relatively higher than other generic retailers) they make

Don't feel sad for the manufacturers either coz the margins in the high end audio industry are obscene anyway ;)

Back