Car & Bike Formula 1 2012 Thread

sunny27

Stig's Indian Cousin!!!
Skilled
Today marked the beginning of the 2012 Formula 1 season.

Race 1 : Australia - Qantas Australian Grand Prix

Button won the race. The race offered glimpses of the vintage Schumacher before he retired. Vettel came second with Hamilton bringing up the third position. This season promises to be super exciting with the return on Iceman Raikkonen to the grid. I do hope this is an entertaining season with loads of close finishes and epic racing from what looks to be a very talented bunch of drivers.

between 2000 - 2011 the winner of Australian GP went on to become the F1 Driver's champion 9 times out of 12, so Button should be pretty excited!

Finally a F1 thread.. I was about to create one..

Saturday qualifying was a thriller.. Best qualifying i have witnessed in the past 2 years... Mercedes looked awesome (due to F duct rear wing
<
? May be !! )

Sunday race was good as well, but it is a shame that neither of the Mercedes scored any point.. I expected Jenson to win, due to his nature with the car.. Hamilton is not bad though.. Vettal got lucky due to safety car..

Atleast i am glad that Red bull dominance got over.. Roman was a nice surprise
<

Expectation for next race..
  • Mercedes should work on their tyre wear issue.. I want to see Schumi resurgence again.. He was looking good in Australia.. Gearbox failure is odd though.. Anyway podium is out of reach due to tyre wear issue..
  • Kimi should improve his qualifying performance.. Lotus should fix his steering well .. bummer..!!
  • Red bull should fight back.. but hope Mclaren and Mercedes will make it tough to them...
    <

• Ferrari - WTH wrong with you.. ugly car, ugly handling ... Alonso require a good car to fight.. !!!

• Kimi should improve his qualifying performance.. Lotus should fix his steering well .. bummer..!!
  • Ferrari - WTH wrong with you.. ugly car, ugly handling ... Alonso require a good car to fight.. !!!

Lotus needs to think on their feet in terms of strategy and their pit crew needs faster hands. Wonder what they were doing caught on a Medium compound tyre during qualifying and then taking ages to change Kimi's tyre during first pit stop. Kimi too needs to get his mind back to F1 and stop sliding like a rally car.

It seems Ferrari and Lotus swapped their cars. Ferrari are clueless how to make that junk work and Lotus are wondering what to do with a fast car.

Anyway now that Kimi is back I can finally start watching F1 again.
<

Lotus needs to think on their feet in terms of strategy and their pit crew needs faster hands. Wonder what they were doing caught on a Medium compound tyre during qualifying and then taking ages to change Kimi's tyre during first pit stop. Kimi too needs to get his mind back to F1 and stop sliding like a rally car.

It seems Ferrari and Lotus swapped their cars. Ferrari are clueless how to make that junk work and Lotus are wondering what to do with a fast car.

It was a miscommunication and improper timing in qualifying for KIMI... He is supposed to do one more lap but timed out, as Lotus know they had a fast car and can get it easily to Q2 without any soft compound tyes..

Yes.. Flamboyant KIMI is Back
<

Hope ferrari will fight back.. it will add more spice
<
.. Point to note, Ferrari race pace was very good.. Though Massa couldn't able to extract it..

Didn't like vettel taking a place during safety car ,no wonder hamilton was disappointed .

Same here.. Vettal is just lucky, and vice versa for Hamilton.. I just hoped to see Webber infront than vettal..

I have really been looking forward to this season with all the very best talent on the grid panning across generations. This is will be an epic season! If only we had Hakkinen on the grid!

Glad to see hardcore F1 fans here! This is going to be quite a thread!

Ferrari's pace wasn't good at all. Williams, Lotus and Sauber all look faster on race pace (not to mention McL and RB
<
). The misfortunes of those teams and Alonso's brilliant driving flattered the Ferrari to a 5th, but otherwise there's nothing to be happy about for Ferrari fans.

I have really been looking forward to this season with all the very best talent on the grid panning across generations. This is will be an epic season! If only we had Hakkinen on the grid!

Glad to see hardcore F1 fans here! This is going to be quite a thread!

6 World champions in the grid.. What else we require!!!
<

Ferrari's pace wasn't good at all. Williams, Lotus and Sauber all look faster on race pace (not to mention McL and RB
<
). The misfortunes of those teams and Alonso's brilliant driving flattered the Ferrari to a 5th, but otherwise there's nothing to be happy about for Ferrari fans.

Ferrari shined only during Schumi & Ross Brawn Era.. Now both are in different teams... Will Ferrari get back it's shine ever ? Alonso is one of the best F1 driver, hope Ferrari will match his hunger

Adrian Neway is on of the Gem in F1.. Wherever he is, that CAR won the championship.. Hope someone will be as competent as him..

I don't know how I missed this thread.

Too late to comment on the race so moving on except a small mention of Hammy. He really looked agitated after the race - was it because he realized he will have to wait for his turn as Vettel banters away just before him during the press conference.

Jokes apart - Good to see Kimi back. Mercedes and Lotus seem to have a good car hope they go forward from here. Ferrari, serves them right in a weird karmic way for messing Kimi and unceremoniously dropping him like they did to get Alonso. Bet they didn't see 'My name is Earl'.

Sepang Practice session over

Lewis is fastest in both FP1 and FP2... Redbull is not further apart.. Mercedes looks very promising as well, but still the tyre wear problem persists... Would love to see Schumi in pole position .. It has been very long long time
<

Fingers crossed for tmw FP3 and qualifying..

Not only is Kimi back but his bad luck is back as well. He will receive a 5 place grid penalty because his gearbox has to be changed. If he qualifies second and starts in seventh on the clean side and makes a good start then it should be a good race.

If Mercedes can get around their Tyre issues (which is difficult because Malaysia has high tyre degradation and the time they had between 2 races ) and also if he qualifies well and can hold on to it because Malaysia is not an easy track to pass on then hope to see Schumi on podium then hope to see Schumi on podium.

If not then all hopes are pinned on Hammy hopefully he will keep his accelerator pinned.

Sensational Qualifying.. Mclaren proved that they are the best... Mercedes playing the catchup game.. Will they prove tmw ? Lets wait and see

can't wait for the race tmw.. Go schumi go... Glad to see him in press conference after a looooooong looong time
<

@Jakob - You mean he wins the race. As much as I would like that to happen, it seems highly unlikely because Lotus is quick but not that quick.

Good to see Schumi qualify 3rd. Malaysia is hard on tyres and Mercedes struggles with tyre wear so I except them to slip backwards as the race progresses but Schumi has been making excellent starts for a while. If he can get a jump on the McLarens and hold them there then it would be interesting.

Vettel will start on hard tyres. Kimi's penalty moves him to fifth which means he is on the racing line (provided there is no rain till the start of the race) he some grip to compensate the compound difference between him and Webber to some extent. If he gets a better start than Webber and tucks in behind the McLarens who get bottled up behind Schumi then it can play out in Vettel's favor. He can have a long first stint and then have soft tyres for later stints.

Nico could also spring a surprise at the start and so can Romain but watch out for Fernando just behind this pair sharing the row with rumored future team-mate Perez.

Kimi be wary of Maldonado he is just behind you and he is more Suicidal than Vitaly. Gotta say Maldonado seems to be a better driver than Bruno. Hope he does well in the race.

Back