Car & Bike Formula 1 2014 Discussion thread.

Remove DRS & F1 will become interesting again .[DOUBLEPOST=1413266755][/DOUBLEPOST]and remove ban /freeze on engine development

The final race itself was meh, but the drama was off the charts. Congrats to lewis, and major props to Nico, very Schumi in '06-esque.

I had missed the last race when Hammy became WC for the 1st time. I missed it this time too :(
Now we know whom to blame for Nico not winning ... :p

Watched the videos which Lewis shared on FB... looks like he had already won mentally even before the race.... His publicity was in full swing everywhere...
he made full use of every platform he got... also Like the way he celebrated later...
Such moments need to be made large....
Nice of Nico to be a gentleman and wish Lewis in the greenroom. He was there in the team photos also later....
Cant say that about webber right....

Seems the next year is going to be as boring with limited changes allowed to the engine and Mercedes running away with it.

I can't wait forever for F1 to be interesting. With unlimited in-season tweaks/changes, refueling in pit stops, tyre changes etc. it was fun. When was the last time we had all of that? It was 2008 I think.

Oh and so much for Honda taking a year off to see how others are doing. They are ultimately starting at the same place as the Renault engines last year.

@Renegade - Honda didn't exactly take a year off. You are right about them starting where Renault were during the Winter Testing but I am sure come race day they will be upto task.

A major reason why other Mercedes engine users couldn't catch Mercedes was because to do that they would have to change the chassis and that would mean a ton of other things to change but Williams wasn't far off and if they stay focused then may be they can offer some challenge. Renault can kink out the reliability issues and add a few numbers to the power. Ferrari would be better off making a new engine altogether.

As a sport F1 has really moved away from the basic aim and that is the competition is all about speed and pushing the limits. Instead now it is a short endurance race and everything during the race is about managing which makes it even worse than the schumi years of domination because you knew everyone was driving at their limit.

@Renegade - Honda didn't exactly take a year off. You are right about them starting where Renault were during the Winter Testing but I am sure come race day they will be upto task.

A major reason why other Mercedes engine users couldn't catch Mercedes was because to do that they would have to change the chassis and that would mean a ton of other things to change but Williams wasn't far off and if they stay focused then may be they can offer some challenge. Renault can kink out the reliability issues and add a few numbers to the power. Ferrari would be better off making a new engine altogether.

As a sport F1 has really moved away from the basic aim and that is the competition is all about speed and pushing the limits. Instead now it is a short endurance race and everything during the race is about managing which makes it even worse than the schumi years of domination because you knew everyone was driving at their limit.
Ferrari cannot make a new engine.
Each part of the engine has been assigned points based on their importance. If the engine manufacturer wants to change any part of the engine, the points assigned to that part is subtracted from his yearly quota. Every engine manufacturer has been assigned the same no of points. You are free to change any part of the engine but you are constrained by the points assigned to you.
Every subsequent year the points available will reduce till the time it becomes zero and then the engine specs are freezed. E.g - For 2015, say engine change points available = 90, for 2016 it will be 60 and so on.

Ferrari better pay for Merc or Honda engines then :tearsofjoy:

What if they build an engine with Masserati or Alfa Romeo or Fiat badge and use that?

Ferrari didn't build the engine (on paper) but just purchased to use the engine.

Last few years in F1 have been a bit boring for me and this year just didn't feel like the season had started.

I honestly miss the noise, the fact that you knew the drivers were pushing to the limit of control and wrecking the car, no mario kart gimmicks and tyre wars. Sure races were a procession most of the times but it was genuine fun unlike now where it's a poker game.

Here's a video remembering the engine and air horn noise and a committed driving a qualifying lap.

Back