• Poll closed .

bottle

Caffeine Addict
Staff member
Super Mod
Jan 27, 2005
Chennai
2005 still had the v10 engines right ?

They should get back to allowing fuel and tyre changes in races, it made things more fun and we got to see the real performance of the car

prabs

Skilled
Jul 24, 2006
Then there will be nothing much left to watch with no pit stops. Tyre management strategy and pit stops make it more exciting.

Quite the contrary. Those tyres were meant to last the whole race but the car was not loaded with full race length fuel. I don't recall anyone doing a race with no pit-stops and even if they could then we do have 2 compound rule.

At the moment it is all about preserving Tyres and Fuel. In the last few years so many times we have seen drivers low on fuel coast to cross the finish line. The soft tyres are so bad that they should not be used in the race at all and should only be limited to qualifying. In race Medium and the harder compound should be used. Even though refuelling can't be brought back but knowing that one can really push hard a driver like Lewis can carry more fuel and use his driving style to make up for the shortcoming of a heavier car.

The same tyres of 2005 need not be brought back but similar compounds will do and am sure with heavier cars even the 2005 tyres would degrade faster.

@bottle - Yup that was the last year (I think).
They should get back to allowing fuel and tyre changes in races, it made things more fun and we got to see the real performance of the car
Agreed, I would really like to see drivers push like hell. At the moment the only time we see is during is during qualifying, oh wait I am wrong 1 car coasted to line up 8th and 2 didn't do times in the last qualifying in top 10.

Last edited by a moderator:

onlyravi

Godly Modly...
Skilled
Mar 13, 2009
Pune
2005 still had the v10 engines right ?
From next year they will be moving to V8 V6 engines.... Dont know how will that turn up....
Changing Tyres in/b4 races... maybe..... But fuel... strictly no.... It is way to hazardous ...
About tyres.... maybe they want the teams to be smarter in planning their race strategies right from Q1 so they dont allow tyres to be changes between qualifying and racing..... (My opinion this is.....)

Reactions: bottle

bottle

Caffeine Addict
Staff member
Super Mod
Jan 27, 2005
Chennai
Rosberg on pole. I was wondering if he was going to be in the shadow this year but guess not. Finger boy back as well I guess

Ankur.J

Game Guy
Disciple
Dec 24, 2011
Pune
technocial.blogspot.in
I am wondering how will Force India perform today, if everything goes well i am hoping for a podium finish from them, conditions suit them very well.
Rosberg on pole. I was wondering if he was going to be in the shadow this year but guess not. Finger boy back as well I guess
^ Hamilton attracts more sponsors than him, thats why Hamilton is preferred always.

prabs

Skilled
Jul 24, 2006
Missed the qualifying. Kimi so far behind - glad I was not able to watch it, it would have been very painful.

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
Dec 31, 2004
Pune
Wow what a race! I slept around lap 16 and woke up at lap 40 only to find out my I slipped a year back in time. Thankfully this time the gap between Kimi and the leader is only 10 points so far.

Reactions: onlyravi

prabs

Skilled
Jul 24, 2006
@Renegade - You fell asleep on lap 16? I fell asleep during the podium celebration when the Austrian National Anthem was being played never realized it was so long.

It was good to see the fairness in the Lotus team giving a new chassis to Romain to sort out his problems and it seemed to have worked but I wonder if that detracted their attention resulting in woeful qualification results.

The race overall was good right from the start.

Vettel - proved a lot of people wrong today in the first 2 laps, he might have had a lonely race afterwards but he did what was needed in the first 2 laps and then did an amazing job controlling the race. He seemed more embarrassed today when DC mentioned his lucky charms than he did in Malaysia.

Kimi - had to rely on strategy to get him the second place. Considering his qualifying position and race start there was no other option which is sad. Presently they can make 2 stop strategy work but sooner or later the others will catch up and this advantage will be lost.

Romain - with new chassis in some ways has proven that he was not the (only) problem in the first 3 races this season.

Lotus - For WCC they need 2 cars and now that they seemed to have solved Romain's car. They should now focus on the qualifying pace and keep up with the others in development race else they will loose both by the the end.

Ferrari - A day that started like a dream ended like a nightmare.

Lewis - Wonder what he would have achieved if they had opted for harder tyres after the first pitstop?

Nico - I thought he was driving to the pit at the start but he didn't. Well he did 4 times later on in the race.

Paul - Did a splendid job, unfortunately in Force India (explained below).

Force India - Everytime they are queued up for a good result Vijay Mallya's Karma catches up with everyone in the team.

Jenson - Mexicans... Spicy Food... Chilli... Jenson must be thinking on these lines at the moment considering Sergio rubbed some of it on his rear. He needs to get a grip asap.

Sergio - The guy seems a bit erratic.

McLaren - Seem to be recovering.

Webber - Either he drives a very different car or the same car very differently.

P.S.: Even before Vettel mentioned Renault I realized that tomorrow's TOI might have a Renault Ad. There seems to be a column sponsored by Renault which pops up when F1 is around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: onlyravi and bottle

bottle

Caffeine Addict
Staff member
Super Mod
Jan 27, 2005
Chennai
Nice write up. I guess Sergio is under pressure within McLaren considering how aggressively he drove today

prabs

Skilled
Jul 24, 2006
Nice write up. I guess Sergio is under pressure within McLaren considering how aggressively he drove today

Perhaps but if they (McLaren) end up with egg on their face it is their own doing. Last year when Sergio was linked to Ferrari as Massa's replacement, Ferrari clarified that they want a driver with more experience.

I think the decision to hire Sergio was made in haste considering Lewis suddenly declared that he is going to Mercedes which put McLaren in a spot.

Sergio had made a mark last year with his drives in the first half. Twitmarsh thought to himself well this guy has done well and a number of Race Pundits are singing his praises not to mention Kimi too was a rookie when he came to McLaren and that too from Sauber. What can possibly go wrong?

Kimi had DC but Sergio has Jenson (Gladstone Gander) who can't get a grip on anything. In short everything.

Kimi knew what he was doing. Sergio is so aggressive that he is more of a Juan without skills than a Lewis or Juan. Hope he improves because at the moment the driver talent at McLaren seems pitiful.

bottle

Caffeine Addict
Staff member
Super Mod
Jan 27, 2005
Chennai
Yup true. Also for some reason even though the races are exciting I don't find them engaging these days. I think we are missing a great rivalry to really energize the audience.

Its like Vettel/Newey vs the world. I think everyone is waiting for someone to come up with something that's on the same footing

prabs

Skilled
Jul 24, 2006
Also for some reason even though the races are exciting I don't find them engaging these days.

You are not the only one I too felt a bit drowsy at times and surfed channels at times to stay awake.

I started watching F1 sometime in 2002 regularly from 2003. Despite different tyre manufacturing and refuelling the races felt more genuine than what we watch today.

The last time I was nervous and paced around the room while watching a race was Abu Dhabi 2012 thanks to Kimi and the safety car at the end.

In my case I think the problem stems from the fact that I support 1 driver Kimi who today was non spectacular as he drove quietly glued to a pre-decided strategy.
I think I will have to travel to 2008 which is where the problem started. Mid-season Kimi's race and qualifying results became abysmal and continued so. If Kimi was not near a podium place I would loose interest but still would watch the races hoping he would do something spectacular at the end.
2009 Ferrari went far behind and Kimi had issues like water in KERS system or the team screwed up by putting him on wet tyres before rain started. After the spring hit Massa they decided to focus on Kimi but by that time Kimi was in no position to challenge for the championship and Santander/Alonso rumour started taking it's toll.
2010 - No Kimi on grid
2011 - No Kimi on grid
2012 - Kimi is back but F1 has changed for worse.
2013 - Same story.

2009 - Saw introduction of KERS which resulted in Ferrari's downfall that year but helped Kimi get a win in Spa and cars with KERS were spectacular to watch at start.
2010 - Teams decided to not to use KERS. Webber vs Sebastien vs Alonso. Despite that the racing had reached a point of no overtaking at all. With no favorite driver among the trio there was nothing to cheer.
2011 - DRS is introduced which were slammed as tools for artificial racing and it did just that. Jenson benefited despite Schumi's Herculean effort he was reduced to nothing in Canada.
2012 - Kimi is back but so is DRS and KERS alongwith unfathomable tyres.
2013 - More of same.

Despite 2002 and 2004 being bore-fests you knew that these guys were pushing their cars to the limit at all times and if you momentarily forgot that Schumi existed you still had great racing in different tiers like DC, Kimi, Ralf and Juan or Narain vs Monteiro. Seriously Narain in his first outing was impressive.

Back then every overtaking move had different stages of execution like -
The driver doing his best to catch up with the car in front over laps.
Then waiting for the driver in front to either make a mistake or wait for the sector where his car is strongest to make an opportunity for himself, not waiting for a DRS section or tyres of the car turning rubbish.
The execution itself needed skills as the driver in front would defend and the challenger had to get past using skill not NFS like aids.

This is why even a suicidal driver like Sato was more entertaining than Nico will ever be.

Compared to those seasons - till 2008, current racing seems arcadish.

Apologies for rambling.